PDA

View Full Version : V10?

426kidz
03-27-2011, 05:07 PM
anyone here have any input on the f-250 V10, lookin at a 99 with the 5speed manual tranny? only 100,000miles

CJM
03-27-2011, 05:23 PM
10-12mpg loaded or unloaded, shallow heads also can cause spark plugs to blow out.

Otherwise reliable and powerful.

426kidz
03-27-2011, 05:30 PM
not too worried about the mpg, but am very worried about the plug deal i have been reading, now im not sure what causes it for a fact, some say short or not enough threads but i heard from a good source it is caused by the small thread ford used with the spark plugs and when people go to change them they use a different blug or cheaper one and it is not the exact thread therefore, it will stripp out and eventualy blow?? but not sure how true. would make sense, because they say it blows at about 100,000 miles and they say to change plugs at 100,000 miles....so im pretty worried on what to do. great looking truck just scared!!

CJM
03-27-2011, 05:38 PM
Most of it is the fact that people dont understand that you need to let the truck warm up BEFORE you start removing them. You also dont need to crank down on them like your hercules.

Warming it up then shutting it down and letting cool for 15 mins you can remove them easy.

426kidz
03-27-2011, 06:45 PM
yeah, I just wish someone would know the real truth as of why it does it? i just dont know what rumore to believe thats the only thing stoping me from a gorgouse truck!

CJM
03-27-2011, 07:30 PM
I never had an issue working on any 5.4L and 6.8L Ford engine pulling the plugs when I did that warm up cycle I mentioned.

I also used motorcraft plugs as well everytime.

mxduner
03-27-2011, 07:41 PM
my observation on the plug issue, is the casting in the heads are cut in a oval shape. If you get a chance to see one that 'pops' out, you can see the remainder of the metal from the heads, in the plug threads. very common on certain years. up til 02-04ish?

Just got back last night in an 01 excursion sleding. gets 7.5 mpg pulling a 26 ft enclosed at 65 mph. but it is an auto not in od. any faster and it was in trouble. 80 mph at 6.5mpg lol. 13 empty on the freeway going easy.

eastside 400
03-27-2011, 08:55 PM
the 5.4 and 6.8 can blow plugs out on the 2 valve models, if you fix it correctly you wont have a problem again, you need to time-sert the hole if it blows out and you will be fine. its common but not every engine does it and its not a huge deal if it happens if you take it to a good shop, most ford dealers just sell you a new head though. the 3 valve motors are the ones that the plugs break off in the head when you remove them, leaving the porclein in the head, but it can be fixed relatively easily. The engines are strong and very reliable.

426kidz
03-27-2011, 09:29 PM
keep the oppinions coming cuz im very close too buying this thing, just dont need a nightmare after saving my money for so long!!! thanks im taking every post into cocideration also great advice!

XC_Racer_129
03-28-2011, 08:44 AM
My dad had a '99 F-250 with the V-10 and auto transmission. He loved it. It had great power and the fuel mileage wasn't terrible on the highway. The only issue he had was the manifold bolts snap, but that's not a bad fix.

One of my good friends bought it with about 80,000 miles and ran it until 150,000 or so. He used it hard pulling farm equipment and horses and never had any problems other then routine maintenance.

426kidz
03-28-2011, 10:03 AM
well guys i decided to look for a chevy 2500 or a newer 5.4, just too many bad things about them v10's thanks guys!

bbender85
03-28-2011, 10:10 AM
i have a 5.4 in my '99 F250. i've spit out two spark plugs so far. both times i've used a kit like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648421-Spart-Thread-Repair/dp/B004KEIFTK

the time-sert kit is nice, but crazy expensive. so far both of my repairs have held up good (knock on wood). did one repair in a campground and the other in my driveway after limping it home. it's not hard to do if it happens to be one of the more foreward plugs, but it is VERY nerve-racking, the fear of dropping shavings in the cylinder.

the triton heads are aluminum, and the design was carried over from the cast iron uinits of the older engines. and as said above, three aluminum threads is NOT sufficient. so if you do buy it, check the torque on each plug and make sure it's EXACTLY to spec, not over or under (not sure on the values, would have to look... and that is a big topic of debate in itself). other than that it's been a great engine besides the other nototrious triton issue (leaking exhaust manifold due to broken bolt heads). so it should be a great motor for you if you do the proper preventative maintainence.

NacsMXer
03-28-2011, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
the 5.4 and 6.8 can blow plugs out on the 2 valve models, if you fix it correctly you wont have a problem again, you need to time-sert the hole if it blows out and you will be fine. its common but not every engine does it and its not a huge deal if it happens if you take it to a good shop, most ford dealers just sell you a new head though. the 3 valve motors are the ones that the plugs break off in the head when you remove them, leaving the porclein in the head, but it can be fixed relatively easily. The engines are strong and very reliable.

If there was a "like" button here i would like this lol, because everything you said is 100% correct :)

CJM
03-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Ive used the timesert before, its a nice kit but man is it a pain and its super expensive.

ive also used a kit similar to what bbender85 linked, helicoil sav a thread its called. so far has worked good with no issues on many different vehicles.

Dont worry about the aluminum shavings to much. coat the tap tool in wheel bering grease and you get most of the shavings out anyways. whatevers left will burn off instantly pretty much.

What I do recommend tho if you need to use the repair kit I talked about is to use loctite 2620, this is a harder to find, heat resistant loctite good for 650F. I used it on a plug that blew outta my toyota with that kit I mentioned and have been going strong a year.

My only dislike when you do these sort of repairs is if your sitting there with the vehicle running you will often notice a very slight misfire at idle. Im not exactly sure why, but every vehicle I repaired with either a timsert or a sav a thread type insert do this/ My guess is b/c the plug is now very slightly higher (even thot he timsert you cut the head slightly to make it inset) than the other plugs.

However a year going strong for me with no problems. It blows again im sending my heads to my buddy and getting redone ones.

426kidz
03-28-2011, 10:49 PM
yeah i decided on the 5.4 the newer ones i do not want these problems if im gonna be spending good amount of money on it! thanks guys