View Full Version : Idle problems... and more..

NMills
03-27-2011, 09:37 AM
I'm sure this is another on going post somewhere... but i have some concerns... when at an idle... my machine will sometimes idle up and down... when it's up i can blip the throttle and it will sometimes go back down... and vice versa ... now i'm wondering if when i put my bike back togehter i missed something... i also have a tapping sound... are they related??? can they be?? Also.. how does the cam chain tensioner work?? i never adjusted it when i took it out or back in... can that be part of the ticking??

DragonGunner
03-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by NMills
I'm sure this is another on going post somewhere... but i have some concerns... when at an idle... my machine will sometimes idle up and down... when it's up i can blip the throttle and it will sometimes go back down... and vice versa ... now i'm wondering if when i put my bike back togehter i missed something... i also have a tapping sound... are they related??? can they be?? Also.. how does the cam chain tensioner work?? i never adjusted it when i took it out or back in... can that be part of the ticking??

The cam tensioner is self adjusting....but did you put it back correctly, turning the tensioner with a small screw driver until both bolts were tightened an then releasing it? Your idle up an down is with the carb, did you tear it down or adjust anything on it?

NMills
03-27-2011, 12:50 PM
never tore down gthe carb... just disconnected it from the engine and airbox... but on the tensioner... when i tore my engine down to do my bottom end i did not use a screw driver on the tensioner... i just did the 2 8mm bolts and took it off.. and then put it on the same way.. did not realize till later there was a slot inside...