PDA

View Full Version : 05 450r wiring question

Stephen#7
03-26-2011, 08:34 PM
I have a 05 i cut the harness on. My killswitch is on the black white stripe wire and grounded. I can get a short burst of spark if i pull the tether out and kick it will throw a spark for just a sec and no more. Thats the only way i have seen any spark any suggestions. thanks

DnB_racing
03-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Stephen#7
I have a 05 i cut the harness on. My killswitch is on the black white stripe wire and grounded. I can get a short burst of spark if i pull the tether out and kick it will throw a spark for just a sec and no more. Thats the only way i have seen any spark any suggestions. thanks your saying that your plug isn't getting any spark?
if that's what your saying then first try completely disconnecting your teather from your system, and then try...

if still no spark then start troubleshooting all your electric system for manual specs,
but Im guessing that if no spark with teather removed from wiring it might be stator

Stephen#7
03-27-2011, 11:32 AM
Yes my plug isnt getting spark. I disconnected my killswitch didnt get anything. I just pc'd my frame and i got all it off by the coil also i cut my junction connector out does it need this to run.

DnB_racing
03-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Yes my plug isnt getting spark. I disconnected my killswitch didnt get anything. I just pc'd my frame and i got all it off by the coil also i cut my junction connector out does it need this to run. it depends on if its tied into a ground anyplace else. in other words the system does need a common ground along with the coil ground, plus dont forget the block must be grounded, if there is pc on all motor mounts this might cause an issue

check this link there should be something to help with how yours is wired in this link http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=461586

Stephen#7
03-27-2011, 01:00 PM
i have the 2 smaller plugs off the stator plugged in so 3 on one 2 on other plug. Then I have blck with yellow stripe i believe plugged into coil and the blue with yellow stripe grounded on the back bolt on the coil. Have black with white stripe going to killswitch and other wire is grounded. I can pull my tether out and it will throw alittle spark for about a second then no more. If i put tether back in it wont throw any then pull it off it will throw a spark again for a second.

DnB_racing
03-27-2011, 03:41 PM
i have the 2 smaller plugs off the stator plugged in so 3 on one 2 on other plug. Then I have blck with yellow stripe i believe plugged into coil and the blue with yellow stripe grounded on the back bolt on the coil. Have black with white stripe going to killswitch and other wire is grounded. I can pull my tether out and it will throw alittle spark for about a second then no more. If i put tether back in it wont throw any then pull it off it will throw a spark again for a second. are you sure its blue with yellow that you have going to coil ground??the blue yellow wire goes to the cdi from pulse generator.. is there a chance you put the wires from harness reversed? meaning the coil and pulse generator wires are swapped?

is this drawing what you have full race with no regulator?(3 yellow wire from alt are removed)

Stephen#7
03-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Yes thats wat i have and i said it wrong the green white goes to the ground on the coil. I also took the junction connector out to.

DnB_racing
03-27-2011, 04:40 PM
did you run it after the harness was modified?? or did you do the harness and pc at the same time?? im just tyring to figure if its a pc problem or a harness problem or maybe both,

but you do need grounds connected to the system... if you removed to many ground wires you will have issues with corrosion at the ground points. along with your pivot bolt will cease up.. caused by oxidation which is a issue that is caused by poor impedance readings to ground....

you still need grounds in your system any less then the diagram I have drawn up and you will have grounding issues

you dont need a connector but you still have to tie the grounds together somehow.. you need 2 greens to cdi, 1 green to frame, coil to frame, green to kill, and green/white to green for IPG. and they all need to be common to each other, along with a good clean motor mount to ground the block

Stephen#7
03-27-2011, 04:47 PM
I just did it all last week and i got to put it back together yesterday. so r u saying i need to wire the junction connector back on for a ground.

DnB_racing
03-27-2011, 04:54 PM
I just did it all last week and i got to put it back together yesterday. so r u saying i need to wire the junction connector back on for a ground. if all are just cut then yes.. it needs have all the grounds in the pic that I posted for you...

and dont forget to clean one motor mount to bare frame so the block has a good ground for the plug, if you have a bad block ground it will cause a bad spark, and serious corrosion to your pivot bolt.. it will turn your pivot into a cathode, with bad grounds

also something to consider is when Honda assembles the wire system they use proper treatment on the bolts to prevent oxidation , some require dielectric non conductive( pivot bolt) and some require a conductive lube (ground connections)

Stephen#7
03-27-2011, 05:15 PM
i have my junction connector cut out of my old harness. Can i just wire it up to wat u got on there if so could u show me a detailed diagram to wire it back on. thanks

DnB_racing
03-27-2011, 05:19 PM
i have my junction connector cut out of my old harness. Can i just wire it up to wat u got on there if so could u show me a detailed diagram to wire it back on. thanks the pic on the post is exactly how it should go.. all greens together 1 from teather 2 from cdi 1 from frame .
do it just like this and it will work, along with a clean motor mount!

Stephen#7
03-27-2011, 05:34 PM
ok so i leave the 4th wire out it dont need to be hooked up. also which wire do i go off on the big plug or does it matter. also do i need the tps

DnB_racing
03-27-2011, 05:58 PM
ok so i leave the 4th wire out it dont need to be hooked up. also which wire do i go off on the big plug or does it matter. also do i need the tps no you need 4 green wires hooked up together one of them being the frame ground .. unless your also running your teather directly to the frame then the 3, but its best to put all 4 together

as far as the tps I dont recommend getting rid of it,.. however I did run mine without it for a few months without issues