PDA

View Full Version : talk about reliability

dan5
03-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Went riding with my uncle this last week down at the Oregon dunes, for spring break. He has an 1993 Honda 300ex, that he bought new. We were talking by
his bike and I was asking him about it,
The bike still has original piston,carrier bearing and original chain among other things. Hope my bike last this long.

hellshot00
03-26-2011, 08:51 PM
honda is the most reliable out there!

slightlybent47
03-26-2011, 09:49 PM
It’s not the age but the hours put on it.

DragonGunner
03-27-2011, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by slightlybent47

Well said.

greencow
03-27-2011, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by slightlybent47

True but my 400ex seems to have less problems than my friends atvs

CJM
03-27-2011, 08:12 AM
What keeps engines running forever is the way they are designed. Its my opinion honda has the simplest engines out there period.

Less moving parts-less to break.

400exmxrider15
03-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by CJM
What keeps engines running forever is the way they are designed. Its my opinion honda has the simplest engines out there period.

Less moving parts-less to break.

So why is it KTM sucks so much? I thought they were the ones who had simple motors?

CJM
03-27-2011, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by 400exmxrider15
So why is it KTM sucks so much? I thought they were the ones who had simple motors?

Poor manufacturing? IDK never wrenched on one cause aint but maybe 1 or 2 people have one out of the 30 different people I know who ride.

crownandmonster
03-27-2011, 02:39 PM

KTM doesn't suck....

DragonGunner
03-27-2011, 03:37 PM

Never heard that, they are a little more complex than the 400EX motor, at least in some area's where you need some different tools for a tear down...My KTM hybrid keeps running stronger an stronger, easy maintance, easy valve adjustments....of course if someone doesn't change oil, keep the oil level right, even a 400Ex motor can get toasted in a matter of hours...

tri5ron
03-27-2011, 06:49 PM
Dan5,
Haha, you might find it interesting to know, that I have, (and still ride), a Honda trail bike, that was 15 years old, when your uncles 300ex was brand new!

It too, still has the original piston, rings, clutch, and all internals.
The engine has never been opened up beyond adjusting the valves.
The only things to have ever been replaced, is the sparkplug, the oil, the air filter, and the battery.

I ride it regularly around town during the spring/summer, and it is mounted to the bumper of my camper, for any roadtrip we may take. It's kind of like a lifeboat on my "Land Yacht" :D

To this day, it will start first kick.
Everytime.

My wife already has instructions, that when I die,... she must order my casket big enough for it to fit,....
.... Cause I'm takin' it with me ! :blah:

finsteratv
03-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
Dan5,
Haha, you might find it interesting to know, that I have, (and still ride), a Honda trail bike, that was 15 years old, when your uncles 300ex was brand new!

It too, still has the original piston, rings, clutch, and all internals.
The engine has never been opened up beyond adjusting the valves.
The only things to have ever been replaced, is the sparkplug, the oil, the air filter, and the battery.

I ride it regularly around town during the spring/summer, and it is mounted to the bumper of my camper, for any roadtrip we may take. It's kind of like a lifeboat on my "Land Yacht" :D

To this day, it will start first kick.
Everytime.

My wife already has instructions, that when I die,... she must order my casket big enough for it to fit,....
.... Cause I'm takin' it with me ! :blah:
i use to have a 1970 honda ct70 and it was beat to the ground and still ran. then after my dad and i restored it i bet it will run for another 40 years! hondas great reliable designs are what keep me. even though it seems like theyve ditched the ATV side....

tri5ron
03-27-2011, 08:45 PM
over the years, I've had 2 minitrail 50's, (first one when I was 9 y.o. in 1969), 3 CT70's, and 14 CT90's & 110's ( I used to flip them), besides all the many other dirt and street bikes. (all Brands)
I've always like my Hondas the best.

rooster300ex
03-27-2011, 09:41 PM
yea my 300ex is a 95 except for the frame, and its never left me on the trail because of the quad its was because of me. lol