PDA

View Full Version : Another "what pipe is this" thread...

troybilt
03-26-2011, 07:06 PM
Sorry, been researching and can't figure out what pipe this is.. I just picked it up from TLR-online, and Trevor didn't know either..

I was kind of leaning towards an older Graydon Proline pipe, I saw one in my '90 DW mag and it was similar... I've also not see a pipe that is zinc coated before...

Any thoughts?

troybilt
03-26-2011, 07:06 PM
Another:

C-LEIGH RACING
03-26-2011, 07:14 PM
If it wasnt for the stamped cone pieces, I would say it was a Dyno Port, but your probably right with the Graydon cause seems like I remember them from WAY back.
I cant rule out 100% either that it could be a CPI.
It is so close looking to a CPI Yamaha blaster pipe I use one time, its unbeleavable.
Neil

troybilt
03-26-2011, 07:17 PM
I thought that too, it could be an older dynoport?? The newer dynoport's look different.

C-LEIGH RACING
03-26-2011, 07:18 PM
But I've never seen a Dyno Port that wasnt complete cone roll.
Neil

troybilt
03-26-2011, 07:19 PM
Maybe older Trinity?

C-LEIGH RACING
03-26-2011, 07:21 PM
With out measuring it & just the look of the build, your probably looking at a 7 to 8500 rpm pipe.
Neil

C-LEIGH RACING
03-26-2011, 07:22 PM
Maybe, but do you think Harry at Trinity would care to make a 250r pipe that looked that good.
Neil

troybilt
03-26-2011, 07:24 PM
I don't know! :D I was scowering this thread and saw a Trinity for an ATC that looked very similar...

http://www.3wheeler.org/vb/showthread.php?t=36362&page=6

C-LEIGH RACING
03-26-2011, 07:28 PM
Hummm, I dont know about the ATC deal, because the header part is to long & made that way so it would fit in the 4 wheeler frame.
Neil

C-LEIGH RACING
03-26-2011, 07:30 PM
I wouldnt be surprized if in the end, we found out it was one of Harry Klemm's LT250R pipes.
Neil

troybilt
03-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
Hummm, I dont know about the ATC deal, because the header part is to long & made that way so it would fit in the 4 wheeler frame.
Neil

Yea, I was just refering to the similarities in the cone being stamped and the rest rolled... Similar construction, obviously not an ATC pipe... I'll find the pic..

C-LEIGH RACING
03-26-2011, 07:36 PM
I'm 59, but it will come to me soon or later cause me ol eyes have seen alot & forgot a lot.
Neil

troybilt
03-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Here's a Coffman ATC pipe, (I don't remember if they made trx pipes or not) but the construction is similar... scratch Trinity I read the thread wrong...

TLR-Online
03-26-2011, 10:20 PM
Its 100% a Power Pro's Pipe. A company will call power pro's, tell them what type of pipe they want (powerband, looks, finish, ect)... then they make it and the company just puts their name on it. Power Pro's does/has done; CT Racing, Trinity, Hetrick, Klemm, Graydon, Big Gun, Sniper, possibly Selvy's and many more.

They do stamped pipes and handconed pipes.. it just depends on how much money the company wants to spend on them.....

Its hard to put a specific company name on the pipe without a label as tons of companies used power pro's.....

pdxbigfoot
03-26-2011, 10:29 PM
AAEN pipe to me...... I havent seen one for a 250R in years and the closest I could find Google wise was this......

TLR-Online
03-26-2011, 10:42 PM
I have had an AAEN pipe, and its def not that... i am 1000% positive its a power pro's :D

troybilt
03-27-2011, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by TLR-Online
Its 100% a Power Pro's Pipe. A company will call power pro's, tell them what type of pipe they want (powerband, looks, finish, ect)... then they make it and the company just puts their name on it. Power Pro's does/has done; CT Racing, Trinity, Hetrick, Klemm, Graydon, Big Gun, Sniper, possibly Selvy's and many more.

They do stamped pipes and handconed pipes.. it just depends on how much money the company wants to spend on them.....

Its hard to put a specific company name on the pipe without a label as tons of companies used power pro's.....

You're right... but of all of those listed, it looks identical to the Graydon Proline pipe in my magazine ad, to a tee... I went back and checked again last night... Probably the Power Pro's built Graydon pipe... I'm going to run it on my stock 89, looks like a VERY well built pipe, and more low-end woods type geometry... appearance wise.

I bet they build Curtis Sparks pipes too... I know CP doesn't make them... from what I've read researched...

TLR-Online
03-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by troybilt
You're right... but of all of those listed, it looks identical to the Graydon Proline pipe in my magazine ad... Probably the Power Pro's built Graydon pipe...

I bet they build Curtis Sparks pipes too... I know CP doesn't make them... from what I've read researched...

Power Pro's make their own pipes too, under their name.... but i dont think they put any name plates on them. Power Pro's has pre-designed pipes that they sell under their name, but you can also buy the SAME exact pipe and they will put your name on it. Lots and lots of options lol.

I believe shearer makes/made Sparks, i know for sure power pro's doesnt. Shearer makes Dr. Q pipes for quadracers. Almost all the pipe makers will make you a pipe and you can put your name on it lol.... It just costs ALOT of money!

troybilt
03-27-2011, 10:17 AM
I think we need a troybilt pipe! haha..

Yea I knew someone made them for CP, that's why they don't sell them anymore... CP doesn't make the 4 stroke pipes either... You can get an identical one with your name stamped on it as well.. I don't recall who makes them though..

troybilt
03-27-2011, 10:20 AM
Does Power Pro's have a website? I couldn't find it...

When I get a scanner I'll show you the add and you'll see what I'm talking about... The pipe in the ad doesn't have Graydon on there anywhere either....

TLR-Online
03-27-2011, 10:20 AM
[B]I think we need a troybilt pipe! haha..

http://thepowerpros.com/catalog.htm

Good luck contacting them... they are really busy and dont have much time to talk.

When it comes down to it... it doesnt really matter what company put their name on it, it will still have the same quality/style of power pro's. It is nice to associate a name with a pipe tho!

troybilt
03-27-2011, 10:21 AM
Now if I could just find a Graydon silencer I'd be all set...

TLR-Online
03-27-2011, 10:23 AM
Now if I could just find a Graydon silencer I'd be all set...

Just find a universal power pro's silencer and slap a graydon sticker on it. I have one with no name on it that i use with my klemm pipe.

Power Pro's Silencers are very distinct also.

troybilt
03-27-2011, 10:28 AM
Got a pic so I know what I'm looking for?

TLR-Online
03-27-2011, 10:50 AM
Lesson for the day!

There are many diff variations of power pro's silencers. All the older one's are oval. Some have removable end caps like mine, some are welded closed.

Here is mine:
http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af328/TLR-Online/EXriders%20Pics/IMG_3129.jpg

The KEY to power pro's pipes/silencers is this 1 mounting bracket. They USED it on almost everything! They bend it, cut it to length, whatever they needed to do to make the right mount.

So just find a silencer with this mounting bracket and it should be a close match to your pipe.

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af328/TLR-Online/EXriders%20Pics/IMG_3131.jpg

Look at CT Pipes/Silencers... They both have this bracket. Look at your pipe... it has this bracket!

Be careful tho... FMF has a similar mounting bracket, but ALL FMF pipes are marked FMF.

C-LEIGH RACING
03-27-2011, 02:30 PM
Ok, go back & look at the first pic.
That upper mount, where is it going to go on a 250R frame, probably not in one of the head stay bolts because it is to far forward.
If you did mount it in one of the head stay bolts, the last cone part of the pipe has to much bend, angle to it & the stinger would probably end up right where the rear brake master cylinder is located.
Now on a blaster pipe, specially a CPI pipe, the upper mount is right where that one is located. The last part of the pipe has about the same angle as a CPI blaster pipe.
Blaster has a little tab just about center of the cross tube behind the upper steering stem mount right in front of the gas tank.
Once you have the rubber mount bracket in place, mounted to the frame tab, that mount on the pipe probably would line up.

I have heard quite a few years ago Power Pro's made a lot of different pipes as well.
It make since for companys to use them because lot less for companys to deal with.
Neil

TLR-Online
03-27-2011, 03:40 PM
An AAEN pipe mounts similar to this pipe:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/fonty/AAENPipe.jpg

fearlessfred
03-27-2011, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by TLR-Online
An AAEN pipe mounts similar to this pipe:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/fonty/AAENPipe.jpg this is off the subject,but want to say thanks for the pic .this pic made an old guy feel good,because it reminded me of my first crf pipe (crotch rocket factory) it cost me under 200.00 and 40.00 to have it chromed.it was a good running pipe

wild250rman
03-27-2011, 06:12 PM
I have had 2 AAEN pipes one for an 87 i had and one for an 89 the 87 pipe had AAEN stamped around the pipe were the newer one on the 89 was up and down like yours TLR. Was there any differences in the pipes or was it just a cosmetic change. see you are running the longer silencer they sold with the pipe.

troybilt
03-27-2011, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by fearlessfred
this is off the subject,but want to say thanks for the pic .this pic made an old guy feel good,because it reminded me of my first crf pipe (crotch rocket factory) it cost me under 200.00 and 40.00 to have it chromed.it was a good running pipe

You mean this pipe Fred?

:D

fearlessfred
03-27-2011, 08:23 PM
You mean this pipe Fred?

:D man you have got one of every thing . the one you have appears to be an early one, the two that i had were two peice .anybody that rode in our group.ran crf .what brought a smile to my face was the thought of me picking the pipe up on monday and rushing to the plating shop and pleading with them to have it done on friday ,so i could ride and show it off on the weekend. they got it done for me and i kept my promise to bring them plenty of bussiness.my love for this sport and the 250r will never die,thanks for keeping it alive all you 250r guys

troybilt
03-28-2011, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by fearlessfred
man you have got one of every thing . the one you have appears to be an early one, the two that i had were two peice .anybody that rode in our group.ran crf .what brought a smile to my face was the thought of me picking the pipe up on monday and rushing to the plating shop and pleading with them to have it done on friday ,so i could ride and show it off on the weekend. they got it done for me and i kept my promise to bring them plenty of bussiness.my love for this sport and the 250r will never die,thanks for keeping it alive all you 250r guys

Unfortunately, I can't take credit for that pipe, it was just a pic I found when I was searching to figure out what pipe I have now... Its for an ATC, that CRF pipe...