PDA

View Full Version : hinson clutch basket install

Skyman
03-26-2011, 05:33 PM
Any suggestions on how to bevel the edges of the primary crank-shaft drive gear in order to clear the new hinson basket? Should i hand file the teeth? And how much of a bevel do you suggest?

any info would help.

C-LEIGH RACING
03-26-2011, 06:08 PM
I just do it on a bench grinder & then polish it down with the wire brush on the other end shaft.
Some could do it real fancy like on a lathe.
Either way will work.
Neil

latheboy
03-26-2011, 07:53 PM
As a jouneyman machinest, I hate to admit this. I just took the gear off, clamped in the bench vise and ground a 45 deg angle on the gear with an angle grinder. I would have done it fancier, but it was a Saturday morning and I wanted to ride! Just deburr it nicley with a file and make sure it is clean before reinstalling.

hawaiiysr
03-26-2011, 10:17 PM
cant you also change the gear to a different year? just what i heard i need the info also gonna replace my basket soon.

4x4 AG
03-27-2011, 07:27 AM
Can some one post a beveled gear next to an UN-beveled gear. The Honda shop mounted my Hinson basket for me and I wonder if they did it or not. It is hard for me to tell as I don't remember it from before, and I only have the one gear.

What is the downside if it is not done?

Thanks, Justin

latheboy
03-27-2011, 07:33 AM
If it needs to be beveled, it will chew up the back edge of your clutch basket. The worst part being all that aluminum shavings let loose inside the transmission.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=462437&highlight=clutch+basket

The last photo in the first post shows a chewed up hinson basket.....

4x4 AG
03-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Ok I see. But help me understand why beveling the gear teeth helps. It seems like you should bevel the edge of the basket so there is clearance for the teeth.

Maybe I am completely missing something.

Skyman
03-28-2011, 02:36 PM
Thanks guys. I ended up using a dremwl and it worked perfectly. You can't bevel the basket. It's to thin and will screw up the balancing. I simply took the edge off the teeth and Ty all clear the basket. I'll get a pic up as soon as I can.

4x4 AG
03-28-2011, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Skyman
Thanks guys. I ended up using a dremwl and it worked perfectly. You can't bevel the basket. It's to thin and will screw up the balancing. I simply took the edge off the teeth and Ty all clear the basket. I'll get a pic up as soon as I can.

i would appreciate a pic. i want to see if i need to do the same thing or not. my gear is already mounted, and i was fixing to button the whole thing up. so if i need to dremel it, i need to get it done quick.

Thanks,
Justin

Skyman
03-30-2011, 01:13 AM
see if this works

Skyman
03-30-2011, 01:14 AM
done with dremel prior to final cleaning

Skyman
03-30-2011, 01:18 AM
done with dremel prior to clean up and flush out.

Skyman
03-30-2011, 01:21 AM
You can see there is now a gap between the teeth and the back of the basket

4x4 AG
03-30-2011, 08:06 AM
Ah Ha. so that gear. That clears up a ton. Thanks.......

I thought it was the gear on the back of the basket, and i was throughly confused.

I will see if i can knock the edges off of that gear.

did you do it while it was on the bike??//

latheboy
03-30-2011, 04:06 PM
I would take it off the quad. Less metal shavings flying around your crankcase. Just my opinion.