PDA

View Full Version : kick starting problem

zukiboy
03-26-2011, 03:28 PM
i just got my first quad and when i try to kick start it ......it kicks back! i kick it down and with the same force it comes back up no matter how hard i try and hold it down.... is something broke??

C-LEIGH RACING
03-26-2011, 06:36 PM
Old stock Ignition system some times acting up & then sometimes you might think your kicking it hard enough & your realy not.
What can happen, you kick it over & you need to kick it over at least 750 rpm for the ignition system to even produce a spark & at the end of the kick it does spark but its late, so it pops the piston backwards.

Another thing, you cant rule out the flywheel nut might have come loose & now it has sheared the crank key & it out of time.

Most of the time though, it is the kicking process. You got to kick it over like your trying to rip that kick lever off to spin it fast enough.

I learned the hard way, 350cc, 245 lbs compression & tennis shoes, turned me into gimp for 6 weeks on crutches.
Neil

zukiboy
03-26-2011, 06:41 PM
thanks for the tips thats what it feels like is it sparking to late .... does that mean its the ignittion system

C-LEIGH RACING
03-26-2011, 06:50 PM
Its possible it could be, but try the hard kicking deal first.

One of the worst hair pulling things, about a 250R engine, is dealing with that old stock TRX ignition system.

Set you plug gap to 0.018 or 0.020 & see if that changes anything.
Neil

zukiboy
03-26-2011, 07:20 PM
Ok will do and get back to u tommorow thanks for the info appreciate I don't know anything about them

C-LEIGH RACING
03-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Your knowing pretty much & not knowing it, you bought a 250R didnt you, :D .
Neil

zukiboy
03-28-2011, 09:19 AM
Plug gapping didn't fix it where do I go from there..... could it be in the kick tarter

C-LEIGH RACING
03-28-2011, 01:01 PM
Pull the flywheel & check the key, make sure its not sheared.
While you have the flywheel off, pull the stator plate & clean off the mounting areas on the back side of the plate & clean the mounting post on the cases.
Check the ground wires for good contact, clean them.
Check all connections in the harness, make sure they fit tight.
Check each spot a pull tye is used holding the wires to the frame or handle bars, vibs can wear through the insulation of the wires.
Once you get it all back together, spray WD40 all around inside the flywheel so to have a good coating on the stator & its mount points.
Oil does wonders.
Neil

zukiboy
03-28-2011, 03:40 PM
thanks a lot ..... the info is really helpful..... how can i tell if my jug is oem or aftermarket?

hartwill
03-28-2011, 03:51 PM
Good info from Neil, but also make sure your not holding the throttle open. That will make it kick back every time..

C-LEIGH RACING
03-29-2011, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by zukiboy
thanks a lot ..... the info is really helpful..... how can i tell if my jug is oem or aftermarket?

When your looking at the jug, look at the back over top of the reed where the coolant inlet is located. That elbow that the coolant hose hooks to, is that little elbow made on to the jug, or does it have two small bolts holding it on.

#1-No bolts holding it on, OEM Honda jug.
#2-Two small bolts mounting it to the cylinder, aftermarket jug.
Neil

zukiboy
03-29-2011, 07:10 PM
Thanks again..... I don't know what u do for work but maybe you should think about working at a powersports shop as a mechanic ...... your full of knowledge!!!

stever250r
03-30-2011, 12:26 AM
Thanks again..... I don't know what u do for work but maybe you should think about working at a powersports shop as a mechanic ...... your full of knowledge!!!

zukiboy
03-30-2011, 05:31 AM
The jug is stock.... someone said they don't make a cool dome head for a 86 jug??....

C-LEIGH RACING
03-30-2011, 09:31 AM

I dont know about full of knowledge, but my hands has touched alot.
Theres alot of things I can forget or not remember, but normally 99% of the time, if you got to put gas & oil in it & you can crank it up, it tends to stick in my mind.

Been messing with 2 stroke since the late 60's & had something to do with most all types of motor racing since I was 10 year old & I'm 59 now.
Neil

zukiboy
03-30-2011, 09:41 AM
Well your knowledge is much appre iated

zukiboy
03-30-2011, 10:07 AM
My next question is..... can I get my warped head milled at a machine shop

C-LEIGH RACING
03-30-2011, 10:35 AM
Oh yes, but it would be nice if you choose a place that is dedicated to working on 2 stroke engines.

Regular machine shops tend to think like, if my machinest moves his hands cutting that one time head, it ought to be worth 50~60.00 dollars an hour.

Small machine shops, say like a retired guy with one in his back yard or somebody only does it in the evenings after their regular job, tends to be cheaper, but might take longer.
Neil

zukiboy
04-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Next question I have a barnett clutch installed what oil should I run? ........
neil?