PDA

View Full Version : 450r shock issues??? what do you guys think?

JOHNDOE83
03-26-2011, 02:25 PM
I bought some 450r shocks from east coast atv on ebay a while back, shaved em, installed them, everything that people on this forum have described about 450r shocks was spot on!!!

The stiffness, kinda springy, still a big upgrade from stock EX shocks, may need to be re srung for rider weight.....anyway.

I took the shocks off a week later to put drag struts on my EX, 450r shocks went on shelf, sat for a few months, then I recently sold them on ebay for $200 with FREE shipping.

The buyer has called me and told me that the shocks are blown!!! He says they are leaking oil, and bottom out when he stands on the front grab bar??? And his friends 450r doesnt feel the same way, And they clunk when he turns??? He ground them down more cause they didnt fit his EX, and they feel to springy.

From what I understand, theres no oil in these shocks, if you stand on the front grab bar the shocks bottom out on almost any quad, 450r and 400ex geometry are different, they felt fine on my ATV. While checking the shocks the bushings were all tight.

He wants to return the shocks and get his money back "buyers remorse" but this doesnt seem right to me. I even stated in the ad that there will be No refunds, No returns, Hes describing things that are way to out of the ordinary, what do you guys think?

NMills
03-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Well.. because you said no returns/refunds... it is his problem... however... If you did sell him a defective item without specifying what was wrong then he may be able to challenge you... But then again... if he modified more then you did.. then i think that he now owns a set of 200 shocks... How they clunk when you turn puzzles me as the shocks are mounted between the frame and the A arms... those part only go up and down... not side to side... unless someone wants to explain that one to me.. and i don't think a 450R should feel like a 400.. to many variables... but i'm sure i've missed something... which either i'll come up with more or someone else will say it..

JOHNDOE83
03-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Thats exactly how I feel about it^^

And The shocks worked absolutly fine before I took them off my ATV and all theyve done is sit in the garage since.

He says theres oil leaking out of the bottom? which makes no sense.

NMills
03-26-2011, 04:23 PM
I would assume he paid with PayPal? You can always send them a email and explain to them how it was when you sent them... the stuff he did to them and now he's complaining... at the end they will make the decision if he wants to push it... what was his name on ebay anyways????

CJM
03-26-2011, 11:42 PM
No refunds mean no refunds, sorry. Paypal should side with you on this.

fearlessfred
03-27-2011, 04:13 AM
it sounds like the buyer has done something wrong with his installation of the shocks . i dont think you owe him anything, but i would ask for pics of these claims that he makes. just wandering what you mean by saying there is no oil in these shocks

sneaky11
03-27-2011, 06:20 AM
I think your buyer put the 450r shock on, and right after that start his bike and think he could now jump 100 footers and he just bust a shock this way cuz he didn't even now how to land a 5 ft and now he want to doggystyle you!!

I'll just share te story to paypal if I was you... and let this in hands... definitly sure they will be on your side!

Good luck!

CJM
03-27-2011, 08:22 AM
Also, he modified the shocks further. If you bought a pair of jeans at walmart and got them all greasy and dirty-they wouldnt take them back.

The shocks are his period. he probably busted them trying to jump something stupid.

sneaky11
03-27-2011, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by CJM
If you bought a pair of jeans at walmart and got them all greasy and dirty-they wouldnt take them back.

You never know with wal-mart!! lol:bandit:

JOHNDOE83
03-27-2011, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by fearlessfred
just wandering what you mean by saying there is no oil in these shocks

These are gas/air shocks right? I dont know if theres oil in them or not, I dont think there is? He says the one leaks oil out of the bottom of the shock?

Oil in the bottom? I dont know, there shouldnt be right....lol.

On another note, I asked for him to send pictures of the install and the problems he's having and email them back with a description through ebay.

He also said he tightend the springs down as far as they would go!!! and it still doesnt feel right?

This just doesnt sound like a shock issue, more installer error to me.

CJM
03-27-2011, 08:54 AM
It really sounds like user error period. Why would you tighten the preload ALL the way down???

As your auction stated no refunds and he bought them-as ebay/paypal see it they are his.

Also Ive NEVER seen any atv shock leak oil ever-even totally blown ones.

sneaky11
03-27-2011, 08:57 AM
maybe he just drain the gaz out of the shock cuz he's not knowing what he do? he think it's an adjustment...

CJM
03-27-2011, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by sneaky11
maybe he just drain the gaz out of the shock cuz he's not knowing what he do? he think it's an adjustment...

Possible lol

JOHNDOE83
03-27-2011, 09:07 AM
I didnt even think of that, Ive heard of people taking the gas out and using compressed air, It works good for about 20min then the air heats up from friction, the gas creates a cooling effect that the air doesnt have, so that then blows out the seals.

supertrooper90
03-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Are you sure hes not trying to switch a set of blown out shocks on you? Did you have any distinguishing marks or stickers on the shock body? Something doesn't sound totally right about this story.

It doesn't seem right but no refunds means no refunds. Ive had it happen to me a few times. No I don't like it, but sometimes that's just what happens when you buy used parts.

JOHNDOE83
03-27-2011, 09:47 AM
I did think it might be a switch out, but he has good feedback as a buyer, he did sound legitamatly concerned and he did sound like a decent guy.

But at the same time he was quick to file a claim, He called me once and we talked for a while, then he called again later that night while I was having dinner, I didnt answer cause of dinner. Then after dinner I checked my email and saw he filed a claim saying now Im not answering my calls or returning his.

Which thats okay with me, as a buyer hes upset about something and Ive been there, but its not in power to make the desicion, regardless of what ebay and paypal decide, I will honor their desicion in the matter.

nyates450
03-27-2011, 10:53 AM
There is oil in the shocks. Will leak out the bottom when the seals blow. Results in what he is describing. Soft compression and no rebound control (bouncy). Good chance the seals hardened from setting. Then after a few cycles failed.

fearlessfred
03-27-2011, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by nyates450
There is oil in the shocks. Will leak out the bottom when the seals blow. Results in what he is describing. Soft compression and no rebound control (bouncy). Good chance the seals hardened from setting. Then after a few cycles failed. what you say is true but, johndoe stated that they sat on the shelf for a couple of months,so i dont think that is enough time for that to happen.if the buyer was to have let the nitrogen out for some reason,it would have caused all the same problems .the preasure is what keeps the seals working and without preasure the seals would leak and they would do all the other things noted good call nyates 450

JOHNDOE83
03-28-2011, 07:10 PM
This is what The buyer is reffering to as a BLOWN shock, he thinks if I pay for a new bushing kit it will make the springs not as bouncy.

This is the leaking oil, or what he calls leaking oil.

Any opinions?

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/johndoe83_2010/100_1723.jpg

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/johndoe83_2010/100_1718.jpg

JOHNDOE83
03-28-2011, 07:14 PM
I think at most its water from being cleaned, mixed with a lil after ride dirt.

And if the bearing blew, its from adjusting the preload WAY to much. And oil wouldnt come out it would be grease.

The bearing and seal looks fine in this pic?

NMills
03-28-2011, 07:17 PM
I think the bike should have been washed really good... for all i know.. a small ball of grease flew up from the ground... maybe his brake lines are leaking and the wind is just blowing it into the shock so it looks like it... maybe he's a turd who doesn't know what he's really talkin about.. or maybe i'm wrong intirely...

NMills
03-28-2011, 07:23 PM
I believe the bearing is seperate from the shock ... it has it's own housing... if the shock blew it'd squirt from the spring area.... the bearing is just a hole with some grease inside... keeps it on the A arms... nothing to really leak... i'm not really sure how to explain it.. but i'm sure someone will say something..

JOHNDOE83
03-28-2011, 07:28 PM
He said call a dealer and they will tell me the shock has oil in it.

I told him look on ebay for a 450r bearing kit that requires you to fill it with oil.

NMills
03-28-2011, 07:31 PM
But are they not "GAS" shocks??? little different then oil... i would imagine anyways...

CJM
03-28-2011, 08:06 PM
It looks like water, not oil. How do you know even if the needle bearings went bad-that he didnt screw something up when installing them?

He bought them, you said no refunds, tell him to go pound sand.

supertrooper90
03-28-2011, 08:34 PM
those pics dont really seem helpful as far as seeing where the mystery fluid is coming from. More than likely ebay or paypal will side with you, just make sure you have your paperwork in order. I would politely end this transaction. He obviously is a little confused as to what the problem actually is and you will not be able to please him no matter what you do. Dont leave feedback or anything just let it go.

PLF
03-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Why the hell did he install the adjusters facing the back, not really usefull...

IMO defently looks like water, ask him to clean these areas througoutly and watch if it comes back after riding (wich will probably not)...

JOHNDOE83
03-29-2011, 02:54 PM
Long story short, the buyer dropped the case.

He said his friend and the honda dealer both said there was oil in the shock, I looked up the parts catalog "just to be sure" and there is deffinetly no oil in or around that whole area.

I think he did some research and realized his argument wasnt going anywhere, he could have been trying to get free stuff? He could have just been misled by some people into believing they were oil filled?

But the case was dropped, so were good.

nyates450
03-29-2011, 04:36 PM
Pics not helpfull.
There is oil in the shocks. It does almost all of the compression and rebound damping. The nitrogen (gas) in the shocks is primarly to control the fluid during the stroke.
There are very few pure air shocks. Fox and Axis make some, but they are certainly not stock equipment.

fearlessfred
03-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by NMills
But are they not "GAS" shocks??? little different then oil... i would imagine anyways... these shocks are oil filled and gas charged with a bladder or piston seperating the gas from oil . (this is on all shocks that have a place or means of putting nitrogen in ) on the shocks that dont have a place to be charged with nitrogen, there still is gas and oil and they are mixed and are called emultion and can only be ran right side up . this could very well be oil ,but as others have already suggested they should be cleaned ,ran and rechecked or the springs removed to get a better look. none of this matters because you sold used shocks as is and owe him nothing. i recently sold a set of axis fronts and i let him know that the shocks had not been ran for a few years and may be in need of service and he asured me that that he does all his own shock work and would take care of anything need

fearlessfred
03-29-2011, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by nyates450
Pics not helpfull.
There is oil in the shocks. It does almost all of the compression and rebound damping. The nitrogen (gas) in the shocks is primarly to control the fluid during the stroke.
There are very few pure air shocks. Fox and Axis make some, but they are certainly not stock equipment. sorry man ,i was I typing as you were posting