PDA

View Full Version : loosen up walsh ball joints?

rollie
03-25-2011, 07:02 PM
I just put new lower walsh ball joints and theres so darn tight its hard to turn the bars, i dont really get why? any ideas on how to loosen them up? thanks

DnB_racing
03-25-2011, 08:51 PM
are your sure all the tension is from the ball joints and not the steering stem? if your lower bearing in the stem is tight it might be making it look worse then it is

rollie
03-26-2011, 07:39 AM
i didn't change anything other than the new lower ball joints

DnB_racing
03-26-2011, 07:56 AM
ya Ive only seen the ball joint in combination with other parts making it hard, never just balljoints, sorry I cant help!

eastside 400
03-26-2011, 09:20 AM
im pretty sure the honda walsh arms still use the spherical bearing and not a balljoint correct? if it is the spherical bearing then you need to press it back out and sand down the bearing so it fits looser in the arm, when it presses in too tight it will actually tighten up the inside of the bearing and make it stiff

rollie
03-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
im pretty sure the honda walsh arms still use the spherical bearing and not a balljoint correct? if it is the spherical bearing then you need to press it back out and sand down the bearing so it fits looser in the arm, when it presses in too tight it will actually tighten up the inside of the bearing and make it stiff

yeah i couldnt think of spherical bearing so i just wrote ball joints lol

Thank sounds like a possibility though, thanks for the help ill be trying that!!

maxamillion
03-26-2011, 11:04 PM
i had this same problem with my walsh a-arms that use sphericals bearings. i had to sand the outer bearing and the inner cup of the a-arms. after what felt like hours of sanding i finally got all four joints to press in nicely where i could actually pivot the joint by hand. i called walsh and they said the only thing you can do is sand it smooth or buy the new sealed balljoints that they offer.

300ex_#387
03-27-2011, 09:27 AM
I must have gotten lucky when I put new balljoints on mine.