PDA

View Full Version : Funny now; Not so funny then....

thequadfather+2
03-25-2011, 08:23 AM
Just thought I would see what other kind of bone-headed mistakes everyone else had made out there. We all get in a hurry or distracted while doing something and looking back, it seems funny now. I have a couple but the latest one was...

Splitting cases- I put on my case splitter and tightened it up, tapped it with a rubber mallet and it still didnt move. I got out the ole heat gun and put a little heat to it...nothing. So I tightened the case splitter up a little more....POP! the case busted on the right side. Stood there looking at it for a minute, realized I had not removed the case bolts. It split, just not where I expected it to...Then I threw a little tantrum.

:devil:

rabbithuntr14
03-25-2011, 08:36 AM
Got my lug nuts hand tight and forgot to get them really tight, rode the crap out of it for an hour then noticed the metal shavings in my wheel and had one lug nut on the last thread and junked my wheels.... I was pretty po'd but now I've got brand new hipers it's funny:)

JIM GRACE
03-25-2011, 10:43 AM
This is an easy one for me:

A couple of years ago when we were still in the fifty class, I tried to change the piston and ring own my own with no experience or help. Got it back together and started it and it ran ok.

In the first moto it fell on it's face during the holeshot. Once he got going it was ok

After the weekend I brought to Cory at kkatv and he laughed his *** off when he told me I " Put The Piston In Backwards !!!)

Man did I feel like a bone head.. Ha ha

fomospede
03-25-2011, 11:15 AM
in a rush running late to the line at an xc race i realized two left gloves isnt a joke:eek2: blisterville

jake55
03-25-2011, 11:45 AM
after washing the quad, i kicked and kicked and kicked and kicked some more and the darn thing wont fire. Dang it!!! what got wet? did i get water in the fuel? checked all i know to check, then kicked and kicked and kicked some more. finally my son walks by and says "can i try dad"? frustrated and needing to walk away to calm down i told him go for it!!! if i cant kick it, you sure is heck wont be able to!!! jake gets on, reaches in his pocket, pulls out the teather chord, plugs it in, kicks it once and it fires. the kid looks at me and grins a bit and says, should of let me help an hour ago dad.
the same day after washing the second quad the wife and kids are making fun of me saying dont forget the chord this time. of course i told them all to shut up and go away!! anyhow, i kick it and it fires right up. i tell them i'm not as dumb as they think i am and as i finish saying that the bike stalls. kick it and it fires right back up, give it a bit of gas and it dies. this went on for 10 or 15 minutes and really had me scratching my head. Once again i get to the point where i need to just walk away for a bit and clear my mind (otherwise know as a trip to the beer fridge). as i'm walking back i see jake climbing on to give it a try, he tells me i got the other one running, i might as well try this one. he kicks it, it fires and out thru the yard he goes. i'm standing there in shock. how in the hell did he keep it running??? when he finnaly comes back to the garage and shuts it down i ask him, how did you do that??? he answered " i dont no dad, all i did was take the orange plug thing out of the tail pipe":( :o :huh :mad:

rabbithuntr14
03-25-2011, 11:48 AM
I've left my tether out too but during a race and after everybody in you're class passes you that gets pretty agervating!

nastynotchback1
03-25-2011, 12:10 PM
Practice day i am riding behind him on my quad when i noticed the wheels starting to wobble.Before i could get him stopped both rear wheels came off.Lucky he didn't get hurt.I left the pins out of the nuts and they worked loose.

rooster300ex
03-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by rabbithuntr14
Got my lug nuts hand tight and forgot to get them really tight, rode the crap out of it for an hour then noticed the metal shavings in my wheel and had one lug nut on the last thread and junked my wheels.... I was pretty po'd but now I've got brand new hipers it's funny:)

My buddy had stock tires and rims on his 400ex and decided he wanted to try some sand tires i brought with me, so he changed them and when he went back to put the stock ones on he put the lug nuts on how i had them on aftermarket rims with washers and turned to the flat side. Lets just say he put the lug nuts back on backwards and trashed the stock rims. He admitted that was a dumb *** move.

thequadfather+2
03-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Pell city 2011-90 Auto Jr;

Put a plastic bag over the air filter and pressure washed the quad (cobra). For those that dont know the intake faces the rear and the filter is up under the seat near the top of the rear shock.

cranked it, went to the gate and everything seemed fine. The gate dropped and the quad seemed a little slow up the hill. After the moto I was getting ready to wash it again and found my plastic bag.......Still on the filter right where I left it.:D

lilman
03-25-2011, 12:37 PM
we have run out of fuel in stageing lol
and countless times kicking my brains out only to be handed the teather")

Logan #34's Dad
03-25-2011, 01:01 PM
I've tried to mentally block all me dumb moves but it's hard to do!

My last one: Pell City - 2011, before the start of moto1 of the 90cvt class, I replaced the front brake master cylinder. Losened the throttle to do this, expected to have Logan sit on the quad and reposition the throttle to where he likes it. WEEELLLLLL, he did not come around for awhile and I forgot to tighten it down. He made it to the 1st step-up and it spun around the bars. Bad finish! He was not a happy camper.

And "IF" i remember right, I've done all the above. Ugg.

hwf-racing
03-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Was looking all over for the keys to open up the trailer, even sent the wife back to the hotel and no keys. Come to find out after I cut the lock they were in the trailer. Wife wasn't happy and as for me I'm just plain loosing it:eek2: Derek

doonanracing
03-25-2011, 03:44 PM
Boy was about 6 years old at this time and thought it was a good idea to let him help out and at least clean the atv after a ride. Got him started and stepped away for about 10 minutes and came back and he was done and drying off the atv. He then stated he wanted to start it and drive it and put it away once we got it dried off. He kicked and kicked and kicked and nothing. I then checked over everything and everything seemed fine. I kicked and still nothing. So finally I decided to pull the plug to see if maybe no spark and something got wet or disconnected and water came pouring out of the cylinder. He looked at me and stated he cleaned out the pipe and the end of the atv also and stuck the hose in the end to clean that up. He not only cleaned up the outside he also cleaned up the inside of the motor. Needless to say we learned that only the outside of the motor needed washed with soap and water.

JIM GRACE
03-25-2011, 04:37 PM
i'm still laughing about the hose in the tail pipe, best one so far

edwardsp&b
03-26-2011, 08:18 AM
This is one of the best posts Ive read in a while.........Ive done so much dumb crap, Im ashamed to tell it.........But it's real comforting to know that Im not the only one.

I will let you in on this little funny. Last week in Pell city, on Friday, before practice at about 7:30am. I go into the trailer to start prepping quads and the Drr wont start. (imagine that!) Checking the fire I accidently had my finger on the plug as Ben was kicking away. It popped me pretty hard, it was even worse because I wasnt expecting it. Im surprised nobody heard my loud yelp! Thats not the way to start the morning at a National.

The hose in the tailpipe is a classic!
Bryan

bigdeal00
03-27-2011, 09:34 AM
This is some funnnnnyyyyyy ****. I ve done pretty much alllll that a few more!!! When cale started at 4 we had a predator 50 and he cleaned out inside the exhaust tooo. First time i heard of aqua lock. I thought we didnt let it cool long enough before washing it and it somehow seized? My buddy that helped me fix it could not stop laughing... :rolleyes:

mmsoup
03-27-2011, 08:28 PM
Unadilla GNCC 2009

Put a DC swingarm on Kira's Apex to replace the broken stocker and put her shock on with the fill nipple backwards. Pushed down to test the suspension travel, the frame knocks the nipple off and out goes the charge.
Special thanks to the Custom Axis trailer for fixing what daddy broke so she could race.

redonkulousruntsracing
03-28-2011, 07:29 PM
Last year at Unadilla I was pulling my hair out trying to get our 50 to run right. Pulled the plug a saw aluminum on it, so I yank the cylinder and swap the piston. Get it together and fire it up, let the kid do a few test rips on it and I hear something not right. I go to the tool box to get a wrench and I see something in my magnetic bolt dish, there set both the snap rings for the piston pin. Boy did I feel like a idiot...
Also changed the trans fluid and after running a moto realizing I still had the drain plug in my pocket. At least no one but my wallet and pride got hurt.

thequadfather+2
03-28-2011, 09:15 PM
now thats pretty funny, I havent done the tranny thing yet but I will try to remember that one.

nordic quad
03-29-2011, 02:15 PM
Here is the story of a rookie dad at our first ever Norwegian national last year,after working on Sondres quad swapping engine and clutch set up in the trailer the night before the race(Broke the engine in pracktice)Got Sondre on the grid in time for moto 1.Sondre got avay with the front runners for 200yards then the quad bogged down and died.Sondre fired it up again only to run another 200yrds.I ran over to him to check what was wrong,turns out dad forgot to open the fuel line propperly:rolleyes: I opend it up and told him sorry but this is your chance to prove yourself and he rode his butt off and won the moto.:D
Stein A