PDA

View Full Version : What hybrid to get?

JoePA
03-24-2011, 09:04 PM
I'm tossing the idea around of getting a hybrid. I LOVE my 250R, the way it handles, jumps, ergonomics everything but wouldn't mind having one with a 4stroke engine.

So...what hybrid out there is bascly a 250R with a 450 eninge? I don't know much about the aftermarket frames and what to look for so I figured I would ask here. I'm not ruling out the option of building one but would rather purchase a fully built one.

The quad would be used for MX if that helps at all.

Thanks!

Lasher
03-24-2011, 11:37 PM
If your wallet will allow, I going to vote for a Walsh. Surprised they still pick up the phone when I call, but they have been helpful through the whole build.

I went back and forth on buying used or buying new. When you buy used, your going to tear the whole thing down. As I am finding out these 4 stroke motors are a different beast compared to the 250R. Personally, I do not see myself giving up the 2 stroke for a 4 stroke, especialy racing MX.

Too many other races have bailed or taken time off due to the cost of rebuilding the motor when something goes. Try doing a top end on a 4 stroke for under $200 and in 45 minutes?

Personal preference on power. I could never get used the 4 strokes I tried over the years (none of the new ones). Be interested in trying my son's CRF. I hope to have a nice 310 or 330 for next year. That will be more than enough to laugh at the 4 strokes.

JoePA
03-25-2011, 06:41 AM
I've always heard good things about the Walsh components. I have yet to run against the 4 pokes with the R but I'm sure it will do just fine! I like to have things that are different. Not some crazy pink **** with funky *** graphics just something that people look at and go...hmmm. That's what I liked about the Highland..looked like a 250R but you had to really strat to looka t it to realize it was a wild new machine...well kind of!

I'll keep my eyes open and if I come across something I'll ask. Hey Lasher.....want to build me a killer R engine for MX??

Flyin_250r
03-25-2011, 07:40 AM
It really all comes down to personal preference. I had both a lonestar 250r and my laeger hybrid. I absolutely loved the feel of the hybrid, especially with the 4spd yz engine (havent ridden a crf hybrid). The feel of the laeger over the lonestar was so much different. Like Lasher said, the 2strokes are alot easier, and alot cheaper to fix. Im able to ride my hybrid far faster than I was on the 250r, they just make coming out of corners etc so easy with the torque.

With that said, im more of a 250r guy and thats why im going to go back to a 250r and build a full laeger R. Im going to use most of the parts from my hybird and part out the rest. Just waiting to go down and get my chassis and then swap the parts over, then the rest will be up for sale.

Lasher
03-25-2011, 08:51 AM
I don't build motors. I have only run a locally ported cylinder and a Sparks 265 (both with all the normal bolt ons). The Sparks cylinder pulled a lot harder than the stock cylinder and could hold its own against the 4 strokes. The stock cylinder just did not have enough power. From my research all over the net, a good 310 or 330 would be all you need to leave the 4 strokes behind.

Porting, high compression (race gas) and a pipe to match the port work and you should not have too much trouble with power.

I race for fun. When I have tried 4 strokes in the past (saving judgement for the Walsh CRF ride) I feel lazy. I like the feel of the 2 stroke motor, makes me feel like I am racing. Sure I may need to more work to ride fast, but that is part of the fun. Plus, I only need to run 4 laps...not 20 minutes + 2!

250Renvy
03-25-2011, 09:46 AM
Check the 250R classifieds, protrax is selling a crf450 hybrid.

There should be tons available, but the basics are this.

Walsh - CRF/YZ narrow front, Crflink
Houser - CRF/YZ std front, no-link
LSR - CRF/YZ std front, no-link usually
LSR - CRF/YZ with 400ex geometry
Laeger - CRF/YZ - some std front, some narrow, usually cr500 or crf450 link
PRP - various
JB racing - various but usually 400ex plastic
Hermann racing - not much info

gtilley45
03-25-2011, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
There should be tons available, but the basics are this.

Walsh - CRF/YZ narrow front, Crflink
Houser - CRF/YZ std front, no-link
LSR - CRF/YZ std front, no-link usually
LSR - CRF/YZ with 400ex geometry
Laeger - CRF/YZ - some std front, some narrow, usually cr500 or crf450 link
PRP - various
JB racing - various but usually 400ex plastic
Hermann racing - not much info

Not all Walshs are the narrow frame. Some of the Walsh bikes also use a CR500 linkage. My Walsh YZ isn't a narrow front and has a CR500 style linkage.

Also...I'm pretty sure Laeger never used a CRF style linkage. I think all the Laeger bikes were either a CR500 style linkage or a no link. And don't forget about the protrax front end some Laegers had.

hontrx265r
03-25-2011, 06:05 PM
Laeger also used the yzf rear links on some models.

gtilley45
03-25-2011, 06:49 PM
You're right...I'd forgotten about. Bad part is, I just had a conversation with my suspension guy about the Laeger YZF linkage this past weekend at the national. We were talking about a guy we both know that has one of Tim Farr's old Laeger YZs (he converted it to a CRF) and it has the YZF linkage.

figair
03-25-2011, 09:46 PM
I am going to sell my laeger yz450 if you possibly may be interested. It is VERY CLEAN, and not abused. It is 250 geometry w/ an 06 yz motor, cr500 link.. I will post pics shortly if your are interested..

woodsracer144
04-02-2011, 10:15 AM
profab has a wide frame walsh crf for sale... pm him, i just got his 03 narrow frame, real nice guy

jpwhig
04-12-2011, 07:36 AM
I have one for sale if your interested!

here ya go! $3,200 OBO

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=413194&perpage=10&pagenumber=13