PDA

View Full Version : 450r flat track setup

atvracin74
03-24-2011, 05:47 PM
Give me some hints on what would be a good setup for flat track on a 450r... i got a few basic's pipe, tire extenders, nerf bar,front and back bumpers, air filter, jetted out.. but i need some thoughts on how to get some power for under 1000

440ex. ehhh!!
03-24-2011, 06:10 PM
How competitive are you planning on racing? is it just going to be an oval track like what i do, or full on TT ?
You need to lower the center of gravity. so either lowering link with shocks and arms, or since you only have a $1000 budget go with the lowering kits. front and rear for about $150. Durablue makes them.
Consider a sway bar too. i picked one up from a buddy, used Durablue for $90 :D
Make sure you are comfortable also, so gripper seat cover, bar risers, different bars......what ever it takes to make you most comfortable when your almost falling off the side of the thing.
I am really hoping my setup does decently, last year i raced my 440 stock other then the bigbore and finished 1st place in points, so this season will be a true test.

440ex. ehhh!!
03-24-2011, 06:12 PM
And also. you shouldn't worry about power too much yet. Focus on traction, that will be the difference maker.

atvracin74
03-24-2011, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by 440ex. ehhh!!
And also. you shouldn't worry about power too much yet. Focus on traction, that will be the difference maker. thanks for the advice :) also the track im racing on is a oval track and a regular flat track with a few optional jump added to some corners ,but as far as traction goes im buying a set of hoosiers or american racing tires... also i plan on doing 450 am since i haven't raced since like 07 and even then i was doing 250 open...

440ex. ehhh!!
03-24-2011, 06:40 PM
OH nice. it might be better for you to just stick with holeshots or something. slicks are for hard packed and clay.
i know that my track is hard packed under neath and loose dirt/stone on top, so i will be running holeshot h-ds for the first 2 heats or something and then switching over to the slicks for the last heat and final.
Its whatever works for you. find a tire you like, and then play with tire pressure.

atvracin74
03-24-2011, 06:47 PM
yeah i ran the american racing tire setup and loved it, also the track here everyone runs em so i'm gonna stick to em :) but what kind of setup/class do you got going on?

440ex. ehhh!!
03-24-2011, 07:06 PM
well. i drive almost 2 hours to a small track.
its pretty much just go out and have a good time. its all once class. so i could be up with guys with $10 000 in their motor, or up on bone stock 300's. it just really depends on who shows up.
last half of last year there ended up being the normal guys who showed with good fast machines that killed my 440.
its an 1/8th mile oval track.
tough to tell what this year will be like though, last year was the first year for quads on that track, so it was a learning experience. ended up having a regular 10+ quads out though.
hopefully this year it will just explode with new guys. i don't see why it cant.

atvracin74
03-24-2011, 07:50 PM
i lucked out and live next to 2 tracks and a drag strip all withen like 5 miles of each other... even tho im around 30 minutes from it that is still very close

atvracin74
03-24-2011, 07:53 PM
also what is a good site to order this stuff from?

Pacheco_450r
03-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by atvracin74
also what is a good site to order this stuff from?

I always liked Rockymountainatv free shipping over $100 and no sales tax. They are really good about shipping stuff quick and doing returns if you need to.

440ex. ehhh!!
03-25-2011, 07:00 AM
i order most of my parts off ebay. usually ends up cheaper then RMATV
for gear, go to btosports.com theres some really nice deals all the time.