View Full Version : good deal?

zmaro
03-24-2011, 08:10 AM
It is a 88 with:
Lone Star Racing Chassis, A-arms.
CT 310
Full Bore fenders
Full Ohlins Shocks with resies
He wants $3200, here are some pics, it looks clean and like it was built with no cost spared.
http://i56.tinypic.com/sy6oox.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/2dj1o2h.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/2hx572h.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/2w2lhzk.jpg
I figure the frame is $2000, a-arms $700, shocks $700, swingarm $600, CT310 $900, plus a ton of other stuff, so all that added together is $4900 alone...
i talked to the guy on the phone and he seams to know whats up. He bought it from his friend who had hopes of racing. long story short he did one race and it wasn't his thing. this guy bought it, and now is selling it. the price seems good for what it has, pretty much the only stock part is the cases of the engine. the only 3 bad things are it has a hacked up wiring harness (wiring for lights were cut) and it has a burn hole in one side of the rear plastics (said to be from the exhaust or something) in the third pic. And it the guy mixes premium gas with 110 octane fuel, but i could fix that by changing the dome to lower the compression to run pump gas correct? As it would be a trail bike for me.
I talked to a guy on another forum that has a R and he said that this thing would be faster and handle better than most 450's. I have a blaster, and like it , but it is starting to feel small, and I want better handling and more power, but would something like this do ok on trails, as thats what i ride.
Thanks

socal
03-24-2011, 09:00 AM
That is a good deal!Offer him 2,800 IN PERSON and go up from there!Is there a title?The wiring harness is probably not hacked,just gutted!LOL...Coming from a Blaster,you will be amazed.A whole new world!!!

J.B.
03-24-2011, 09:03 AM
Last pic something looks tweaked. Maybe the fenders or grab bar?

zmaro
03-24-2011, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by J.B.
Last pic something looks tweaked. Maybe the fenders or grab bar?
I think that the whole picture was just taken at a slight angle..?

also I just got off the phone with a CT racing dealer, and he says that generally it is safe to run pump gas with under 170ish PSI of compression. is there any truth to this!? This is the one thing that Im really worried about, because for a trail bike I will NOT run on race fuel. Also is it even possible to have a title since it has a custom frame?

socal
03-24-2011, 09:32 AM
I had a Laegers hybrid here in Ca. the CHP put a vin stamp on the frame.Some states never even check.Jus run a 50/50 mix of race fuel.You will love the power!

zmaro
03-24-2011, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by socal
I had a Laegers hybrid here in Ca. the CHP put a vin stamp on the frame.Some states never even check.Jus run a 50/50 mix of race fuel.You will love the power!

ok, yeah it's not a huge deal, because you can get registration for it with just a bill of sale. Did you like the custom frame and everything?

DnB_racing
03-24-2011, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by zmaro
I figure the frame is $2000, a-arms $700, shocks $700, swingarm $600, CT310 $900, plus a ton of other stuff, so all that added together is $4900 alone...
even though they might be worth this amount. the resale value is quit a bit less: Frame around $1200 a-arms 300 shocks 600 swingarm around 400 and the topend around 500.

the parts are worth what you said but if you tried to part it you would get a little less then they are really worth . I think $3000 would be a fair price for quad, for both buyer and seller

zmaro
03-24-2011, 02:02 PM
yeah I know what your saying, but you couldn't build a bike like that for that price, and I would have no plans of parting it out.

DnB_racing
03-24-2011, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by zmaro
yeah I know what your saying, but you couldn't build a bike like that for that price, and I would have no plans of parting it out. ya your right!

It just seams lately with the economy, that the best deals are on high end machines.. a $1000 quad is selling for 1000, a 6000 is selling for 3000, and a ten thousand dollar quad is selling for 5000, the more its worh the less they are seliing for

zmaro
03-24-2011, 02:30 PM
Yeah I have been seeing some pretty good deals. I sent him a email trying to talk him down a little, so well see how that goes.

zmaro
03-24-2011, 08:11 PM
Well I got him down to $3000 so Im really tempted to get it. Anyone wanna buy a blaster haha?

DoonRider
03-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Sounds like you want it. I'd buy it if I were you.

cdrookie
03-24-2011, 10:58 PM
i'd be all over that for $3200! aftermarket chassis, suspension, big bore, clean, what more could you ask for at that price?????

if you don't buy it let us know where's it's at.

89trx250r
03-24-2011, 11:43 PM
thats a nice bike but i am with j.b that frame seems really twisted or maybe its the sub something doesnt seem right if you look at the rest of the quad everything looks square and straight on but the left side of the fenders is like out of frame and the right side is like 2 inches below the edge of the photo seems like a rather large distortion

zmaro
03-25-2011, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by 89trx250r
thats a nice bike but i am with j.b that frame seems really twisted or maybe its the sub something doesnt seem right if you look at the rest of the quad everything looks square and straight on but the left side of the fenders is like out of frame and the right side is like 2 inches below the edge of the photo seems like a rather large distortion

I asked him to send another pic from the back, hopefully that will get this figured out.

zmaro
03-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the help. Here are a few more pics. My main concern is how to get it to run on pump gas. In the last pic can anyone tell if the head would have a interchangeable dome so I could lower compression to run pump gas? Let me know what you think?
Thanks

http://i56.tinypic.com/fjjll0.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/2ds0km1.jpg

cdrookie
03-27-2011, 01:57 PM
yes you can change the dome. a different head is less than $200 though, so either way that bike looks nice for the $$$$

DnB_racing
03-27-2011, 04:09 PM
ya I wouldnt wait too long that quad will sell!!if you like it get it, right now people are getting tax returns, and thats when alot of people buy there toys

zmaro
03-29-2011, 01:06 PM
Well I am still trying to convince my parents on this. My mom doesn't really know what it is but said to talk it over with my dad, so I talked to him. He said to do what I want but he wouldn't recommend it, and it is a old, junky, and would break down all the time, and doesn't understand why would I want it instead of a Raptor... So I asked if he would be mad if I got it, then he said that if I have money to piss away on this kind of thing that I shouldn't have a problem paying for school, so he wouldn't help me out at all anymore. I sent him the article on here with it against the 450R, told him it was built in 2004 and anything else I could think of, and I guess my mom is gonna talk to him, so well see how that goes... :(

J250r
03-29-2011, 02:24 PM
If your father thinks that is junk then he's just ignorant. As for the raptor comment... I hope you rolled your eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epd9rRYh2jY&feature=related

89trx250r
03-29-2011, 02:57 PM
lol kinda sounds like my parents when i went on a quad buying spree buying 2 250r's and a yfz in 3 weeks my dad was astonished that i would want an atv thats 21 years old(89's) instead of all the new fancy four strokes all you have to do is simply explain that you can rebuild your top end 5 times for the cost of 1 four stroke top end... you dont need to check&service your valves every 20 hours etc. I think your dad just doesnt want you to spend your money and potentially have something that doesnt run in a month or 2 when you could buy a new (fancy fourstroke) and know it will be reliable for months i could be wrong but most parents just want whats best or what they think is best for there kid

dtowndiesel
03-29-2011, 02:58 PM
You better buy it before someone else on here figures out where it is and scoops it out from underneath you:eek:

I've already been scouring craigslist a little bit looking for it.....:)

zmaro
03-29-2011, 03:04 PM
Yeah he has a 700R, but I just don't like the way a 4-stroke rides. and I'm coming from a blaster so I wont miss reverse and electric start... he used to have a 250X and always liked the R's but now apparently doesn't... part of it is the power of the 310 and the price, but I have tried to explain that you couldn't build half the quad for that price. If this falls through I found a 86 that is more stock for half the price, so maybe ill see what he says about that. My mom will actually listen to my side of the story so maybe she can talk to him.

89trx250r
03-29-2011, 03:07 PM
yeah to be honest i would do what it takes to buy this current one as dtowndiesel stated others will start to circle and not to mention the biggest thing you can do to your 250r is an aftermarket frame which this already is built around

skyeryder
03-29-2011, 03:08 PM
PM me his number I'd like to get that quad if your not going to, thanks.

The R Buzzards are honing in.....:D :D

cdrookie
03-29-2011, 04:06 PM
i've been trying to pin point it's location with no luck so far...

Grande Huevos
03-29-2011, 05:33 PM
yeah for real id love to find it and scoop it up cuz iv built a couple and rarely find one in that condition for that cheap! i would say if u have the money to just buy it and not worry about the parents cuz u will always get more money! when i was livin a home my parents acted the same way about me wanting to get a street bike and said if i got one i was not living at home anymore.........2 days later i rolled up on my brand new 2005 cbr 600RR and guess what happened!??? NOTHING!!! besides me lovin life and rippin up the streets with a huge smile on my face!!!! lol it was sweet and my parents got over it eventually and werent mad

turdboy
03-29-2011, 07:00 PM
I know where it is, but I am not going to spoil it for him. Give him a few more days to figure it out. The 250R looks clean and well built, but your dad has a point as well. You need to not only think of just quads but you need to think of your future as well. What kind of riding are you planning on doing. A near stock 250R might be just perfect for half the price if you are coming off a blaster. If I had money laying around I would have snatched that quad up already.

DoonRider
03-29-2011, 07:12 PM
lots of 250r's out there now and in the future when you are out of school, but you have only one dad...

trx250racer
03-30-2011, 12:45 AM
buy the quad... let the ol' man ride it and all should be forgivin!!!

heggie400ex
03-30-2011, 08:41 AM
Time is a ticking. It took me all of 5 minutes to find where it is.

zmaro
03-30-2011, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Grande Huevos
i would say if u have the money to just buy it and not worry about the parents cuz u will always get more money! when i was livin a home my parents acted the same way about me wanting to get a street bike and said if i got one i was not living at home anymore.........2 days later i rolled up on my brand new 2005 cbr 600RR and guess what happened!??? NOTHING!!! besides me lovin life and rippin up the streets with a huge smile on my face!!!! lol it was sweet and my parents got over it eventually and werent mad

Haha nice. yeah I don't know if it would actually happen, but I don't think its worth over $15,000 to find out.

Originally posted by turdboy
What kind of riding are you planning on doing. A near stock 250R might be just perfect for half the price if you are coming off a blaster.

I ride sandy trails and fire roads, and maybe once a year drag races in a bean field at a friends house who has a MX track. Thats what I'm trying for now so hopefully that goes good.

for those who want to check it out it is in the mid-west. send a email to camaroracer92@yahoo.com and I will give everyone the number all at the same time tonight or tomorrow.