PDA

View Full Version : Elka Shocks

JEFF8400EX
12-03-2001, 09:27 AM
WHERE'S THE BEST PLACE TO BUY THEM?

AlaskaSpeed
12-03-2001, 10:17 AM
I got my Elkas through Mark at www.hsdracing.com and he was very helpful. I had them on my quad within a week and a half or so....JIM

Giz400ex
12-03-2001, 02:33 PM
I think www.kandkatv.com might sell them too!!! check'em out!!

CBRSLIDER
12-03-2001, 08:45 PM
Got mine at the Quadshop. It's in the links section and Marty was great to work with. I had mine in less than a week. I paid $750 plus $14 shipping.

Ray

12-03-2001, 08:55 PM
GO TO WWW.QUADSHOPATV.COM IM SURE MARTY WILL HAVE THE BEST PRICE

Foxrage
12-04-2001, 04:18 AM
I think im gonna get mine from Hsd and tell them i can get bettter price from KandK so i wont have to order from 2 different places i can just order from one and get the same price. I was gonna order from Kandk fronts cause they were 905 but hsd will meet that price.

12-05-2001, 09:17 PM
I talked to Marty at Quadshopatv, 502-742-7823, he is very knowledgeable and helpful.

I talked to Colby at C & D Racing, 308-368-7805, and he to was very knowledgeable and helpful.

They are both very easy to talk to.

If it means anything, I ordered my Elkas today through Colby at C & D Racing. Nothing negative about Quadshop.

JEFF8400EX
12-06-2001, 05:39 AM
which one did you order an what did you pay?

12-06-2001, 05:49 PM
I went with the "Sport/Race" normal length series in the front. I also went with triple rates with the piggyback rezzy's and the "SSD" Self Sagging Device.

I went with the double rate rear shock with "SSD". It does not come with a piggyback rezzy. They say you mount the rezzy somewhere on the frame where you can easily adjust it.

Note: Colby, Marty, and others suggest modifying your stock rear shock. I have not heard any negative feedback from this mod, but for no known reason, I went with the new Elka rear shock.

12-07-2001, 02:22 PM
Yeah I'd have to recommend a rebuild on the rear. Most bottom line rear shocks from name brand companies don't have adjustments with them. And then you start paying more for compression adj,,,then more for rebound and compression,,,etc,,etc,,,heck the rear stocker has all the adjustments you could ever want,,just have it revalved and resprung if it needs it and save yourself about $500,,just my .01 cent.

Dave400ex
12-07-2001, 03:02 PM
What kind of Elka shocks would be good for me? I`m going to race Cross Country when I can and want either Elka or Axis shocks. What should I get?

trx400ex
12-07-2001, 03:17 PM
IF you can afford it, axis is the only way to go,, that is, if you have alot of money laying around and it just keeps coming and wont go away.......:eek:

Giz400ex
12-07-2001, 04:09 PM
For some reason the Elka and Axis are the MOST expensive shocks you can buy!!! From my point of view, if you are a person that races alot and your into it big time!!! Your gonna make a career out of this???? Then I would consider buying a Axis or Elka shock. But if your just a rider that like to screw around on a mx track and like riding in the woods and ect...... Then you would save alot of money and get the works shocks. I really don't see anything wrong with the works shocks. There cheaper and serve your purpose. I personally don't have aftermarket shocks but when I do plan on getting shocks, I'll probably go with the works shocks!!! But, I know everyone is different and if you think spending that kind of money on shocks is OK.........then all the power to ya, brother!!!

Dave400ex
12-07-2001, 04:50 PM
If I got the Elka`s I would have the stock rear shock rebuilt. It would be alot cheaper to go with Elka. I don`t want the SSD though. I want my quad to sit higher, not lower.

12-07-2001, 05:05 PM
WarriorMan,
My plans are to do cross country/hare scramble races as well. My story: I have Works w/rezzy's on my 300ex, love them, have no problems. Saved money to get the new "Works Pro Series" for the 400ex. Bam, Works hiked up the price nationwide right before I was ready to place the order. Works price increase didn't sit well with me. I started looking at Axis, several racers use them and dealers swear by them that they are the best money can buy. So I started saving more money for the Axis. One thing I really wanted was the "piggy back" style. Axis does not plan to add this feature in the near future. All of a sudden, I see Elka shocks pictured in the back of Dirt Wheels, WOW, these shocks look sweet, and they got the Piggybacks.:)
I searched the web and liked what I saw and heard about Elka's. The great thing about them, they are less $ than the Custom Axis and Works Pro Series. When I called C&D Racing, who happens to carry Works, I liked what Colby had to say about the Elka's.

This getting a little too long:o PM me if you want to know more of my thoughts.

Dave400ex
12-07-2001, 05:12 PM
What Series of shocks did you get? How much were they?

trx400ex
12-07-2001, 05:29 PM
umm if you plan to make a CAREER out of this i would only advise axis,99% of the pros run axis, pep, and tcs..if you are racing for fun anything will work, but make sure you buy something that wont break right away, or that you would have to replace with something better down the road

AlaskaSpeed
12-07-2001, 08:07 PM
I have to say that after a year of "rec" riding at the MX track, trails and dunes the Elkas have performed flawlessly. I don't care what people tell me, I go by what I see and hear from word of mouth. Axis are the best top end shock, Works are the bottom of the line shocks that people use the hell out of because of they used to have the "throw away" price tag on them. Now that Works has hiked their prices, they are not looking as favorable.

My friends run Works, one hates them(bent the shaft once and blew the seals twice); and the other flies with them like there is no tomorrow. In the end, the pointless posts like "Get Axis". don't do anyone a damn bit of good...these posts are just empty words that are repeated by "drones" that really have NO experience hands on with the brand they are so blindly offering as the best or whatever.

I will tell you that I could have afforded to buy any shock I wanted, but alot of my snowmobile friends have run Elkas for some time and had nothing but good things to say about the quality and more importantly, the service from Elka. I would like to try an Axis equipped quad to compare, but not out of need, but curiosity. EXr, you will be happy with your Elkas for a long time to come. Just be sure that you have the valving and spring setup to what you intend to do. JIM

12-07-2001, 09:14 PM
Good replies guys!
Jim (Alaska_400EX), thank you for the Elka assurance. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the shocks!:D

Sand dunes in Alaska????:huh

List price for Elka Sport/Race Series triplerate with Rezzy and "Self Sagging Device" and compression only: $820 FYI, These shocks have about 1" more travel than the compression & rebound settings found on the Elite and Full Race series.

List price for Elka doublerate rear with "SSD": $728 Note: Many suggest having your stock shock sent to be modified/rebuilt to your riding specs. Cost is much less than new rear aftermarket shock!:)

To answer the question, How much did you pay? I bought other goodies for the 400ex from C&D Racing, not sure what the break down was. I also got the new Elka shock covers......sweet:cool:

I did not pay list, if that helps any.

Giz400ex
12-07-2001, 11:08 PM
Hey Alaska!!! What do you mean by "drones"?

AlaskaSpeed
12-08-2001, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by Giz400ex
Hey Alaska!!! What do you mean by "drones"?

I meant that people that have not actually run Axis shocks, Pep or TCS and make generic claims like, "Axis is the best" "I would only run Pep." "all the pros use TCS." These kind of things are what I am talking about. The people don't run any of these shocks, but have heard how they are the best or whatever. The same to me as saying "Travis Spader only uses Heinz ketchup." I hope this clears it up for you, Giz. I meant nothing personal against you. JIM

Giz400ex
12-08-2001, 06:05 AM
Good!!

AlaskaSpeed
12-08-2001, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by Giz400ex
Good!!

OK!!!!!!!

trx400ex
12-08-2001, 09:08 AM
yep its really hard to tell what kind of shocks the pros run, alot of them will put axis springs and resivours on elka shocks and put tcs stickers all over their quad to try and fool some people, you just never know:rolleyes:

AlaskaSpeed
12-08-2001, 02:19 PM
uuhhhh....yeah, all the pros probably really run stock suspension and put fake rezzies on and all that stuff....those probably aren't really even real motors they run...they actually all are on a sound stage at Universal Studios and they make the race movies look real there....never thought of it like that. I am sure all the sponsors that give these guys the TCS, Pep, Axis shocks don't care what is on the quad....it's all a big conspiracy....JIM

trx400ex
12-08-2001, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Alaska_400EX
In the end, the pointless posts like "Get Axis". don't do anyone a damn bit of good...these posts are just empty words that are repeated by "drones" that really have NO experience hands on with the brand they are so blindly offering as the best or whatever.

JIM

SWEET

ive rode on a quad with a $2400 axis setup all the way around on a practice mx track

AlaskaSpeed
12-08-2001, 04:30 PM
I've driven an Acura NSX.....buy an Acura, they are the best sports car.....JIM

trx400ex
12-08-2001, 05:38 PM
SWEET

PhilMoore
12-25-2001, 08:46 PM
I got my Banshee Elka's from The Quad Shop, and I am very happy with them. When I first got them, I had a question about the setup and adjustment. I called Marty, he told me what to do, and I did what he said, everything was fine. He called back later in the afternoon, long distance toll call, to check and see how it was working for me. That, is very imressive. I will be buying all my stuff from him from now on.

When I ordered stuff from Nacs, and KandK, I almost had the impression I was bothering the person I was talking to. Well, I learned you don't ask them for advise anyway. You better know exactly what you want, right down to the part number before you even dial their number.

kid300ex
12-26-2001, 11:36 AM
Can you post a picture of your quads when you get the Elka's? I'd like to see your 300 if possiable

12-26-2001, 09:22 PM
I didn't receive the digital camera for X'Mas:mad: I guess I wasn't a good boy this year.

I will definetly get pictures and post them, plus I will hope to have a write up on my feelings of the Elkas versus the stock.

PhilMoore, I know the feeling of what you went through! :grr I agree, Marty was very easy to talk to at "Quad Shop". Colby at C&D Racing is the same way. Colby e-mailed me pics of his 400ex with his Elkas along with some additional info.

Guys, I hate to rub it in, but these Elkas sure look good. :blah I know, proof is in the pudding, and I hope to get back with you soon on my thoughts.

Have a great ATVing New Year!:)

Dave400ex
12-26-2001, 09:44 PM
Do you have the Elka shocks yet, or are you still waiting for them?

12-26-2001, 10:08 PM
I got em!!:blah :blah :blah :blah :blah :macho

I ordered them on a Wednesday, and received them the following Wednesday, all 3 shocks!!!! I didn't need them that soon, and I was "shocked", literally, when I got them that quick, one week:D

Dave400ex
12-26-2001, 10:13 PM
Have you tested them out yet?

12-26-2001, 10:22 PM
This weekend will be my true test. I plan on going on a very rocky ride in Virginia, (George Washington National Forest). This place is known to beat up your ATV and yourself. I hope to post my thoughts after this "true test" ride. Some of my fellow riders have the Raptors, normally they beat me, I hope things will change this weekend with the Elkas!!:D

Dave400ex
12-26-2001, 10:23 PM
Let us know how it goes.

mike400
02-12-2006, 02:46 PM
TRX400-
you are a perfect example of the average dirtwheels reading, not knowing what you're talking about "senior member." That was probably the worst reply that i have ever read. For anyone to think that PROS of all people dont now what shocks they run is stupid. there is no way in hell that is even close to the facts. it is a perfect example of what is wrong with people like you, who spend more time on the computer than riding your quad. just thought i would let you know that you are an idiot! Gotta go ride my 400ex ( or is it a yfz with honda stickers? )

400exMO
02-12-2006, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by AlaskaSpeed
I got my Elkas through Mark at www.hsdracing.com and he was very helpful. I had them on my quad within a week and a half or so....JIM
Me to man, however my aarms needed to be redone so it's been awhile since my quads been out:mad: . Not his fault, USPS, took a month to get to him.

bradley300
02-12-2006, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by mike400
TRX400-
you are a perfect example of the average dirtwheels reading, not knowing what you're talking about "senior member." That was probably the worst reply that i have ever read. For anyone to think that PROS of all people dont now what shocks they run is stupid. there is no way in hell that is even close to the facts. it is a perfect example of what is wrong with people like you, who spend more time on the computer than riding your quad. just thought i would let you know that you are an idiot! Gotta go ride my 400ex ( or is it a yfz with honda stickers? )

looks like your the idiot digging up a 5 year oldpost just to bash someone. get a life!

and pro's do you 1 product and run another products stickers. tim farr for instance is sponsered by ITP, but last year he ran kenda, maxxis, ITP and carlisle. whatever would work best on the track he was at. so maybe his reply wasnt as dumb as you think