PDA

View Full Version : swing arm bearing replacement turns into full blown build

pbc400ex
03-23-2011, 09:10 PM
i traded an old 95 jimmy 4x4 for an 01 400ex a couple years ago since iv gotten it iv replaced chain sprockets,bearing carrier ,dmc slipon ,seat, tires and all kinds of misc. stuff. well i tried replacing the swing arm bearings so for a month now iv been spraying with pb blaster and trying to pound out with a 5 pound sledge with no success so after cutting out iv decided to paint another frame i had and swap everything over . my uncle has some burnt orange paint leftover from a jeep he just painted so im going 09 450r theme with burnt orange frame and 05 white carbon fiber plastics and everything else black. im gona paint the frame to save $ to put into the motor plus im sand blasting everything and its auto paint with hardener and il do couple extra coats of clear.as for the motor i plan on doing a 416 11.1,hd studs and camchain and stage 2 cam nothin special but i should see a serious difference from the worn out stock setup. im gona try to down load pics of progress im sure il be asking lots of questions but i think it will be a good look whatch yall think?

Stark
03-24-2011, 08:14 AM
I say go for it bud :)

Nothin like a home grown machine!

chronicsmoke
03-24-2011, 10:04 AM
Sounds cool, give us some updates as you go!

You're not the first one to decide to just rebuild the while thing after struggling with those pesky pivot bearings..

87HONDATRX250X
03-24-2011, 12:50 PM
sounds like its going to look beast!

pbc400ex
03-26-2011, 02:34 PM
some how while removing my swing arm i f##kd it up so looking on ebay for a cheap used swing arm theirs alot more 450r swingarms cheaper will they fit a 400ex and if so from what iv heard certain years are different so what year do i need for an ex swap

NMills
03-26-2011, 03:43 PM
Got pics of the swing arm??? how'd it get screwed up??? i just did my pivot bearings and all... what did you use to cut it/???

pbc400ex
03-26-2011, 04:47 PM
i used a die grinder and sawzall the end cap inserts wont come out my uncle took it to work to press them out and sandblast so i can paint it said he used a 100 ton press and they didnt budge i found a 05 450r swingarm like new for $80 so i think im gona go with that and leav it silver in stead of painting

chronicsmoke
03-28-2011, 05:55 AM
@ pbc400ex

I (as well as a couple of others) have added 450r swingers, just make sure you buy the 400ex pivot bearings, and reasearch the bearing carrier issue, its said to be off 1/8" in width compared to the 400ex one.. I used all 450r parts (swinger, carrier, brakes) so I dont know anything about that problem.. but It is easy enough to mod from what I've heard..

Good Luck! (Heres's mine, I rockguarded it black, seems to be holding up good)