PDA

View Full Version : What to clean the chain?

cheetah
02-17-2003, 11:29 AM
My chain is extremely filthy right now. What can you use that is really tough stuff to clean the chain. The manual says kerosene, has anyone tried it and does that work fine. I'm also thinking about that chain scrubber stuff in Rocky Mountain. I'm not sure I just know it will have to be stout stuff. Any ideas?

PS: Also, could someone explain how to remove the rear sprocket. I'm thinking of playing around with gears. The 14 is robbing too much top end and the 15 is taking too much low. I gotta find a happy middle ground.

02-17-2003, 11:35 AM
i have the chain scrubber and chain cleaner from RM and it works great. I have not tried kerosene yet but i will. the scrubber they give is good cuz u can fill it up with whetever u have.

02-17-2003, 11:40 AM
heres a pic

02-17-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by cheetah

PS: Also, could someone explain how to remove the rear sprocket. I'm thinking of playing around with gears. The 14 is robbing too much top end and the 15 is taking too much low. I gotta find a happy middle ground.

i would try 15-39 or 14-37

BKVIEW4U
02-17-2003, 11:43 AM
wd-40 and a wire brush . if u use kerosene or purple cleaner it will damage the o rings .

another great alternative is dawn dishwashing liquid mix 50/50 with water( dont need much maybe 1 ounce or 2 ) and a wire or nylon stiff brush . ive also just used chain oil and a wire brush . it does ok too

remlapr
02-17-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by BKVIEW4U
wd-40 and a wire brush . if u use kerosene or purple cleaner it will damage the o rings .

another great alternative is dawn dishwashing liquid mix 50/50 with water( dont need much maybe 1 ounce or 2 ) and a wire or nylon stiff brush . ive also just used chain oil and a wire brush . it does ok too

I think in the Clymer's manual it say's to use kerosene BECAUSE it's an o-ring chain? But I don't have it in from of me, so maybe I'm wrong:ermm:

02-17-2003, 11:50 AM

1. Dont use a wire brush thats what will damage the o rings. Use a stiff nylon brush

2. It is recomended in the manual to use kerosene and i think they know what there talking abt

3. WD-40 is pretty much kerosene so if you say kerosene damages it then so does wd-40 and thats what ur using. WD-40 its pretty much the same thing and kerosene wont harm it.

cheetah
02-17-2003, 11:54 AM
I thought someone said wd-40 would damge o rings?

BKVIEW4U
02-17-2003, 12:08 PM
kerosene will dry rot the o rings quickly . wd 40 will not . thats what ive always used for years . and then oil it with a good chain lube like the maxima stuff. works for me

02-17-2003, 12:27 PM
kerosene will dry rot the o rings quickly . wd 40 will not . thats what ive always used for years . and then oil it with a good chain lube like the maxima stuff. works for me

i think u missed what i said. WD-40 is pretty much kerosene. either will work fine.

BKVIEW4U
02-17-2003, 01:18 PM
i didnt miss it . i just dont agree with it

luvmyex
02-17-2003, 01:27 PM
wd-40 is the only thing i use on my chain period.Before every ride and after every wash does jist fine and stays clean.Im on my 2nd chain in two yrs but the only wear all due to the chain sliding on the skid plate.BTW i ride alot!

cheetah
02-17-2003, 01:30 PM
Ok guys thanks for all of your opinions. I'm gonna try wd and if that doesn't work I'm gonna order the chain scrubber stuff. About my other question, can someone explain how to remove the rear sprocket.

BKVIEW4U
02-17-2003, 01:34 PM
the rear sprocket just has 4 bolts. remove them and the tire and loosen the chain it should come right off . very simple. easier than cleaning the chain , lol

cheetah
02-17-2003, 01:41 PM
Ok making sure, I figured you had to take the wheel off, just double checking.

Jay300ex
02-17-2003, 05:01 PM
Kerosene works just as good as anything else, just dont use gasoline. DO NOT use a wire brush ( DUH ). If you use kerosene I would recommend blowing the dirty stuff thats left on the chain afterwards off with compressed air.

What I did was I removed a link in my chain and put a master link in, so I can remove the chain after riding, let it sit in the kerosene for like an hour, then brush everything off of it, then I hang it from a cloths hanger on my garage door, and blow everything off. This is also good because you can clean the sprockets real good.

-Jay

SuperEX
02-17-2003, 05:38 PM
One of my friends was using an upolestry cleaner, The foamy carpet cleaner stuff that comes in a can with a brush on top(picture included) this stuff really seems to work. And not a bad price $3.99 for a 20oz can.

yellow400rider
02-17-2003, 07:06 PM
SIMPLE GREEN! man this stuff rocks, i swear it has more uses then duct tape haha. i use this along w/ a soft tootbrush and im good to go :D

SnotMe80
02-17-2003, 07:47 PM
i think wd-40 is bad for everything-it is a dust and dirt attracter. in my construction business we stay away from wd-40 because of this-it works for a while but then attracts dust that ends up ruining it. just my .02
thanks

XANDADA
02-18-2003, 06:41 AM
Krause Racing suggested I soak my sidewinder chain in Mineral spirits only.

02-18-2003, 04:43 PM
yea mineral spirits works great too. I have used it before

stocktires
02-18-2003, 05:39 PM
WD-40 SHOULD BE USED AS A RUST PENETRANT ONLY! NOTHING ELSE!
Its has many, many bad side effects

The only thing I'd personally use is something specifically designed to clean the chain (chain scrubber) OR laundry detergent (1:3 detergent to water, spray, scrub, rinse).

then lube with a good coat of maxima CLEAR chain lube (my favorite) or any specific chain lube for o-ring or non-oring (which-ever you have).