PDA

View Full Version : how to get parents to agree

400exHondaRider
03-23-2011, 11:33 AM
ok so 4 months ago i traded my yz250f for a mx ready 400ex, im been riding it for a while and decided i want to start racing. The thing is i either want to get another dirt bike or a 450 quad to race with, how should i tell my parents or what can i do to let me race and get something else to do it with?

250rsforlife
03-23-2011, 11:59 AM
honestly just tell them what u want to do thats wat i did with my parents i told them i was gona sell everything buy a good quad and get it race ready/freestyle ready not sure yet which one im goin for and they basically said okay if thts wat you want to do

TCracin440ex
03-23-2011, 12:07 PM
if they dont let you tell them you are going to punch holes in all the walls of the house until you get your way.

nah J/K man. the best way to get parents to agree to stuff like that is to show them you are mature enough for something like that. another way is school. if parents see your doing good in school and keeping your grades up then your chances are alot better

Ruby Soho
03-23-2011, 02:12 PM
just tell them what you want to do. if they disagree ask them why cant you make your own decisions and if it actually ends up being a bad idea, learn from your mistakes?

Tommy Warren
03-23-2011, 02:32 PM
if they say no just say "okay where is the closest heroin dealer?!"

DnB_racing
03-23-2011, 03:01 PM
racing is expensive! before even asking permission to race .
get a part time job. or cut lawns or anything that show that your responsible.
save some money in the bank. and tell your parents that you will only go to races that you have the money to pay for yourself.

Then do good at the races, and show them that racing is a positive influence on your life and they might help you out and support you!! but if not work hard for what you want..

to many people are afraid to work hard nowadays, and say things like" I could be doing drugs instead" to try to get there way, this only shows them your spoiled

Don't ever threaten them with stupid statements that you are looking for the closet dealer, even if your being sarcastic to them ! this will only make them never trust you

slightlybent47
03-23-2011, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
racing is expensive! before even asking permission to race .
get a part time job. or cut lawns or anything that show that your responsible.
save some money in the bank. and tell your parents that you will only go to races that you have the money to pay for yourself.

Then do good at the races, and show them that racing is a positive influence on your life and they might help you out and support you!! but if not work hard for what you want..

to many people are afraid to work hard nowadays, and say things like" I could be doing drugs instead" to try to get there way, this only shows them your spoiled

Don't ever threaten them with stupid statements that you are looking for the closet dealer! this will only make them never trust you

I agree 100%
Show them you really want to race and work to that end. Talk is cheap, actions speak louder then words. Take them to the track during a race and let them see and meet the people there and see how great the folks are.

Tommy Warren
03-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Tell them you'll move the Fitchburg Ma if you can't race.....I hear thats where they all go:devious:

DnB_racing
03-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
Tell them you'll move the Fitchburg Ma if you can't race.....I hear thats where they all go:devious: was there a problem with my advice to work hard?
dont ruin his thread with your ignorance, he was asking for real advice ..lets just keep it to that!

back to the topic :work hard, and be true to yourself, and do things right and good things will happen for you!

fastredrider44
03-23-2011, 03:40 PM
Tell them you'll move the Fitchburg Ma if you can't race.....I hear thats where they all go:devious:

WTF?

Tommy Warren
03-23-2011, 03:41 PM
no your advice was spot on...i just don't like you;)

DnB_racing
03-23-2011, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
WTF?

Its just Tommy Warren"s Pathetic way of tying to upset me because I told him I didnt like his film on youtube. of him riding like an idiot in the middle of the road! and I pointed out to him that he has no useful info for anyone, basically all sarcasm and off the wall advice,

But I dont want to post anything that would ruin this thread by resorting to his level!! so Im not going to respond to anymore of his comments,

and I apologize to the original thread starter, you just wanted advice not flaming, just because one member gives sarcastic advice, dont ignore the good advice, that many members actually have to offer

mineralgrey01gt
03-23-2011, 06:54 PM
I agree 100% with DnB_racing, work for what you want, hell work to buy the quad you want then work towards the racing, that way YOU earned it, not mom and dad sponsoring you

400exHondaRider
03-23-2011, 11:31 PM
thanks for the help guys, idk yet if i should just get a new atv or since my 400ex is already mx ready just to use that, but im pretty sure i would get destroyed at the track. And i do work hard it might help that today they just found out they are saving about 500 bucks every year on car insurance because my grades are good.

Kickstarts-suck
03-23-2011, 11:41 PM
no your advice was spot on...i just don't like you;)

BAD! NO! NO!

1. If you don't like someone, make believe you do or don't respond. Personal attacks will not be tolerated

I agree. Get a job make some money and prove to them that your responsible enough.

Use your 400 as is. See if your 100% thats what you want to do. It would suck to buy a 450 and deck it out to only find out you cant afford racing or your just not that into it.

Wired
03-27-2011, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by 400exHondaRider
thanks for the help guys, idk yet if i should just get a new atv or since my 400ex is already mx ready just to use that, but im pretty sure i would get destroyed at the track. And i do work hard it might help that today they just found out they are saving about 500 bucks every year on car insurance because my grades are good.

i say give the 400ex a try at the track. if its already setup for mx what will it hurt. i've found that most people these days cant ride a 450 to its full potential anyways and a good rider on a 400ex can smoke em. if you get destroyed then make your decision!

brian76708
03-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Wired
i say give the 400ex a try at the track. if its already setup for mx what will it hurt. i've found that most people these days cant ride a 450 to its full potential anyways and a good rider on a 400ex can smoke em. if you get destroyed then make your decision!

exactly

i know the few times ive ridden on a track with the 400ex i couldn't even use that to its potential. but im out of shape and i ride more dunes.

finsteratv
03-27-2011, 10:12 AM
ive always worked for my wheelers and bought them all with my own money. i hope to do a little XC this summer but im trying to think of how to ask parents. considering i cant drive yet. i have multiple summer jobs and pay for all my gear,quads,and parts so i dont see why i couldnt pick up a little racing.:D

XC_Racer_129
03-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Like everyone else said, work until you can afford a new bike and buy it. I don't know your parents, but if you take initative and show them that you really want a new ride, they might even help you out.

As far as racing...I started racing and then told my parents I raced when I came home with a trophy. I wouldn't recommend that. My parents where fine with it once they warmed up to the idea, but I was going to race reguardless because it was my quad and my truck that I used to get to the races.

mineralgrey01gt
03-28-2011, 09:15 AM
try the 400ex first to see if you even like it. Its a big waste of money if you buy another bike and such and dont like racing. Personally I doubt id like racing as i like to freeride way too much and wide open trails. Maybe XC but ill never have a bike set up for that

woodsracer144
03-30-2011, 01:40 PM
run your 400 for a while, they are the strongest and most reliable quad IMO. see how you like racing and then move from there.

If you like it move up to a 450 and if you dont like it well you can do what ever you want then.

your gonna need a big bank account though cause motors go when you least expect it, and everyday normal parts like oil, oil/ air filters lubes fuel to and from the races, and for the quad, food drinks entry fees and things you least expect to break when your at the track all add up really quick!

another thing MX maybe the main thing you think of but try other race events, xc flat track, never know you might like one or the other better...