PDA

View Full Version : choke mod and running rich/lean/perfect????

400exmxrider15
03-23-2011, 08:23 AM
As seeing some other threads about choke, plugs, and carbs. I have always wondered if I did mod where i take the choke off, if in the Summer, is a 42 Pilot to large? Cause I am having my mechanic install that while he cleans the carb, and he will install a 170 main too. I would think a 42 pilot would be way too rich for the summer, but with having no choke, how will i compensate?

slightlybent47
03-23-2011, 10:57 AM
Removing the choke plate dose very little so no re jetting should be needed.

dave07ex
03-23-2011, 11:44 AM
I'd leave the 42 pilot in there and just dial back the f/a screw if you think the mixture is too rich in the idle-1/4 throttle range.

slightlybent47
03-23-2011, 02:39 PM
Everyone seems to think that adjusting the a/f is the thing to do but it really just opens up a can of worms and makes getting it rite a pain in the ***. If you do a slip on pipe or an air filter mod or anything miner then leave the damn a/f screw alone. Just go up one jet number on the main jet and leave everything else alone. It’s not rocket science people.

400exmxrider15
03-23-2011, 10:10 PM
So truth is, with the choke mod and 42 pilot, i shouldnt really need to mess with a/f screw cold, hot, warm????

slightlybent47
03-23-2011, 11:00 PM
The choke plate doesn’t restrict very much air when it’s open. So changing anything shouldn’t be needed. Remember you are only increasing the air flow by a small fraction so only a small adjustment is needed

400exmxrider15
03-25-2011, 08:49 AM
So does it even do anything? throttle response??? Are the pilots jetted lean from factory? Is that why they dont start well in winter for some people??? Keep the a/f screw the same and just install the 42 pilot so in the winter instead of using the choke, the extra fuel from the pilot will help it start?

CJM
03-25-2011, 09:21 AM
I tried everything, only thing that cured my hard starting was a larger pilot and jetting the carb right.

slightlybent47
03-25-2011, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by 400exmxrider15
So does it even do anything? throttle response??? Are the pilots jetted lean from factory? Is that why they dont start well in winter for some people??? Keep the a/f screw the same and just install the 42 pilot so in the winter instead of using the choke, the extra fuel from the pilot will help it start?

I’m all for doing mods that help the hp but in a practical way of course.
Removing the choke plate dose help but it's not a gain you will feel on its own. We all try to make more hp and everything helps and adds up. There are corners you can cut to get more hp but they come with a cost to reliability.
The choke mod is a good one and is cheap if not free so if you don’t have a starting problem then you can remove it.
It dose not hurt the reliability.

DragonGunner
03-25-2011, 04:44 PM
I run the carb without the choke an a 42 pilot, never had to mess with the air mixture...it'll run fine year round with the 42.

400exmxrider15
03-25-2011, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by DragonGunner
I run the carb without the choke an a 42 pilot, never had to mess with the air mixture...it'll run fine year round with the 42.

I guess the worst thing that could happen is i get a fouled out plug during the hottest days of the summer if I let it warm up...

DragonGunner
03-26-2011, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by 400exmxrider15
I guess the worst thing that could happen is i get a fouled out plug during the hottest days of the summer if I let it warm up...

That won't even happen...good riding to you.