PDA

View Full Version : Wayne National Forest, SE Ohio

Scott
12-03-2001, 09:26 AM
Located southeast Logan, Ohio. Lots of trails, multiple trail heads, a couple campgrounds (Williams and Camp Ohio, both off SR 595). As for the number of trails, some places claim only 40 miles of trails, others claim over 100 miles of trails. I don't know what the actual number is, but you can ride several days and not cover all of them. State of Ohio permit is $7.50 for 3 years, Wayne permits are $5/day or $25 season. As far as I know, there is no such thing as in-state vs out-of-state rates. The area is patrolled by Forest Rangers, sometimes on quads. Have the right permits, don't be a jack***** and they're very friendly guys. Trails heads include Dorr Run, Long Ridge, Snake Hollow, and New Straitsville.

400ex Magnum
12-03-2001, 12:34 PM
Scott

Throughout the year, there is a group of us from ATV Time that meet up at Wayne and ride. Several ride 400ex's, with a few other brands thrown in for good measure. We always have a good time and usually someone does something extremely funny that ends up being the topic of converstation for a while. They are planning a ride this Sunday. I have put the 400 away for the winter so I won't be joining them. Some of the riders (username) that frequent this site are : SLB, Buckeye400ex, and Jenny's400ex. I will probably post a thread in this forum next spring when some rides start to gel. Some of the rides are only day trips, while other times we spend the night at Camp Ohio and enjoy the weekend. Maybe you can hook up with us next year.

Scott
12-03-2001, 12:43 PM
We've got a group that goes too. Some of the guys live there, some from Columbus. I make the trip from 1/2 hour NW of Columbus. Normally there's anywhere from 3 to 10 of us. Same as you guys, most are 1 day trips. A few times a year we'll camp. Once or twice a year the wives/girlfriends go too. Three of the wives own wolverines. Racks are great for hauling coolers. Maybe we can hook up next year. Where do you guys normally ride out of, Dorr Run? That seems to be the most popular/most crowded.

400ex Magnum
12-03-2001, 02:06 PM
Scott

We generally meet at the main corridor parking lot off C-24 by the Snack Shack. This way we can motor over to Dorr Run and back and the gas guzzling atv's (440's) can still make it back on one tank. I think some of them occasionally meet at Williams camping and ride from there. I will try to post threads next year when we are going, but check out ATVTime.com and go to the Where to ride - Eastern US. There is usually some sort of thread floating around in there.

Scott
12-03-2001, 02:20 PM
"We generally meet at the main corridor parking lot off C-24 by the Snack Shack. "

From that, I'm guessing you mean the parking lot at the concrete bridge? That's Snake Hollow. It's the mid-point of the "Y" of the trails.

Thanks for the info, I'll check out the site. Our first ride will probably be Jan/Feb, before the Wayne trails open, but we'll still be close to that area of the state. Some private land, horse trails, that kind of thing. Probably in the snow, if the weather cooperates.

SLB400EX
12-08-2001, 06:59 AM
Hi Scott, how are ya??
Yep, that is where we meet most of the time, Snake Hollow, where the concrete bridge is at. A.K.A the "pop shack" or "snack stand".
We have one last big group ride planned for Sunday!! The trails close next weekend. :( What will I do then????? :confused: Rob and I ride there a lot. Better make the most of tomorrow's ride huh???? :D
Like Magnum said, there are a bunch of us at ATVTime and we chat all the time over there in the forums, we plan rides and BS with each other.
Do you ride WNF often???
Check out our pics....we have a terrific time everytime we ride!!!
Later...
Sher

Foxrage
12-12-2001, 07:25 PM
i live 30 minutes away from dorr run and have never been there. I want to go sometime. maybe sometime this spring or summer we all can hook up from ohio.

Scott
12-13-2001, 06:04 AM
Nacs, you live in Athens and have never been up there? That seems strange... Do you ride mx or something? Or do you have a lot of your own trails?

I think it would be pretty cool to get together with people from the forums and get a ride together. It would be nice to put a face with som eof the names. But there's lots of time to talk about that between now and next spring.

This might be a good time to introduce the newest "Future EX rider", my son Garrett just recently arrived. At 1 week old, he's not quite ready for his first machine yet, but that will come in time... I need to change my name on here to HappyDad or something like that!

400ex Magnum
12-13-2001, 11:11 AM
Scott

Congrats on your newest addition to the family. You and your wife should be proud. I am betting that the new boy would like a pair of new tires or nerf bars for his first Christmas. I bet he wouldn't mind if you used them for the next 16 years either!

Scott
12-13-2001, 11:26 AM
Excellent idea!!!!
I could use a new set of rear tires. I've got nerf's, but there's got to be something that Garrett wants for Christmas...
Maybe some new plactic for the front end. I'll even put it on the quad for him...:devil

Foxrage
12-13-2001, 02:39 PM
Well for one i dont have a truck to get there and i dont like to ride trails that much but i still want to go. When we get a truck i will go more often.
I know a baby that rides whith his mom and dad on the back of there 300 when thy go on slow trail rides they have the loudest pipe possible and that baby still goes to sleep on the ride when his mom holds him.

Scott
12-13-2001, 02:50 PM
Well nacs, that would explain why you haven't ridden up there yet. Hope you get the chance to check the trails out sometime soon. They got a LOT more traffic this year compared to the previous years.
As for the baby thing, I can guarantee you won't be seeing him on the trails until he's big enough to ride a bike on his own. Then we might think about letting him putt around with me a little. Most of his seat time until he can ride one of his own will be in my yard or the neigboring farm fields. I'm not brave enough to try to take on his mom by taking our baby to the trails at Wayne. You'd have a better chance of survival jumping out of an airplane without a parachute than putting her baby in danger.

:)

Foxrage
12-13-2001, 05:36 PM
They go really slow and it is about 11 months old or more and it is all flat slow trails.