PDA

View Full Version : I've had it!

Sniper05
03-22-2011, 09:03 PM
Well i've had carb issues for about a month now, i've got a 07 kicker, i had the bogging issue, so i put a #55 leak jet and the HRC needle in, seemed to help a little, but still did it, i had the 165 main, 45 pilot and the fuel screw 2.5 turns out, it ran ok but still had idleing issue and the bog still! Si i took it all apart went up on the pilot to a 48 and kept the fuel screw at 2.5 turns! Went to start it and nothing, i not even on choke! I worked on it for 3 hrs and still nothin, put the 45 pilot back in and still wont fire, so i said screw it took it to my local shop that sponsors me, they went completly through it and they can get it to do anything either, except on choke, wont idle, wont do anything! So they call me and tell me, they think i should just try and find another carb? I', at my witts end with this carb, so i'm out basicly $300 bucks just for them to look at it and tell me to buy another carb! So my question is WTF is goin on? Also do i absolutly have to have the hot start, cause i cant find one and u just cant trust ebay! I'm lost, i have literaly have tried everything! Please help guys!

Thanks Chad

Fast470r
03-22-2011, 09:26 PM
I got one from moto xperts that was taken out to 43mm for $400 maybe thats an option or have them or drg rework that one

DnB_racing
03-22-2011, 09:35 PM
if your dealer cant fix something as basic as a carb, then its definatly time to have someone else do the work... I hope they arnt sponsering your motor work..lol

any other place around thats more qualified?

Sniper05
03-22-2011, 10:07 PM
Yea i dont understand it either? I'm not a carb guy but i dont understand how a carb can be junk? Its all mechanical right? Its just got me so frustrated i cant see straight!

Thumpin440ex
03-22-2011, 10:33 PM
Damn man that sucks.. Best bet is to track a crab down on here, seriously rethink letting them guys work on the bike.. You would fig being a shop or whatever they would have a carb they could swap out if infact they think that could be a issue.. Good luck

John

DnB_racing
03-23-2011, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by Sniper05
Yea i dont understand it either? I'm not a carb guy but i dont understand how a carb can be junk? Its all mechanical right? Its just got me so frustrated i cant see straight! if they are saying your carb is junk? then what do you have to loose. get a service manual, and put a white towel down on your well lit kitchen table, and learn to fix the carb yourself!! get acarb rebuilding kit and some carb cleaner and a air nozzle is helpful,

but yes its just mechanical, and not too many serviceable parts, just take your time look at the pictures and do a little reading, about jetting, and the circuits of the carb, and you will know more then your shop! and save yourself the cost of a new carb

big bad beny
03-23-2011, 06:50 AM
Check your valves sometimes they will get tight witch can cause hard starts. And also change your plug. It's always a good idea to put in a new plug when your rejecting.

Sniper05
03-23-2011, 08:13 AM
I've put in a new plug, and thats the first thing they did was check the valves! They said they were a little out of adjustment but still in spec, and they also checked the compression, seems all I can find are ER carbs without the hot start, do I have to have one? Also I've heard to go with a CRF carb, do they bolt right up, I'm sure I'll have to rejet one right?

big bad beny
03-23-2011, 08:21 AM
You can also put a 04-05 carb on it. I have one on my 08 kicker. And I love it.

Sniper05
03-23-2011, 08:33 AM
Really!!!!!

DnB_racing
03-23-2011, 08:59 AM
I've put in a new plug, and thats the first thing they did was check the valves! They said they were a little out of adjustment but still in spec, and they also checked the compression, seems all I can find are ER carbs without the hot start, do I have to have one? Also I've heard to go with a CRF carb, do they bolt right up, I'm sure I'll have to rejet one right? no you dont need the hot start, unless your quad was real hard to start when hot.
and yes there are different carbs that can be used, some require different boots, the 04 carbs will work with a little modification, and are very good for low end performance, but you will sacrifice some top end,

I would first try rebuilding yours before doing anything! you will be surprised how basic they are

Sniper05
03-23-2011, 09:25 AM
I'll give it a shot, I really appreciate all the help guys!

airmobile101
03-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Man.......... I feel your pain. I had the same issue with a 04-05 carb on my 07. Damn thing backfired left and right regardless what I did. Went as far as taking the carb off and totally taking it apart a checking it/ comparing it to a diagram. End result...... Never found the problem. Bought another 04-05 carb off ebay and the damn thing then ran perfect. Go figure ! If you think your gonna need a hotstart, then a 04-05 carb is your solution until you figure out you FCR issue. IMO, for harescramble, that 04-05 carb is the ticket! Smooth power delivery with no FCR rip your arm out type stuff. I love the FCR, but its just a tad too much for a woods racer.

But, I will say this about a FCR, you can lug it around easier than a CV carb. Rolling slow in 3rd gear in a turn and stab the throttle, a FCR will come alive and CV...... CONGRATS, you just stalled it! lol

brewster426
03-23-2011, 05:20 PM
have you tried to push it off?

Sniper05
03-23-2011, 06:47 PM
I think i fingered it out! The slide was in backwards lol put it in right, kicked it 3 times and it fired right up! Still need to fine tune it, so hopefuly i'll be ok doin that! Thanks for all the help guys!

DnB_racing
03-23-2011, 06:52 PM
I think i fingered it out! The slide was in backwards lol put it in right, kicked it 3 times and it fired right up! Still need to fine tune it, so hopefuly i'll be ok doin that! Thanks for all the help guys! Very nice! did you find it yourself?

if so give yourself a pat on the back ...Great job,
dont ever be afraid to try to fix anything on your quad yourself! there are many members on here that have definitely done anything we can think of, and can help when we need it!

airmobile101
03-23-2011, 09:59 PM
I think i fingered it out! The slide was in backwards lol put it in right, kicked it 3 times and it fired right up! Still need to fine tune it, so hopefuly i'll be ok doin that! Thanks for all the help guys!
Been there, done that! Nice save!

Z-135
03-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Now get your money back from the dealership! They should of figured that on out!

Thumpin440ex
03-24-2011, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Z-135
Now get your money back from the dealership! They should of figured that on out!

I concur

John

Sniper05
03-24-2011, 08:56 PM
I was actualy at the shop with them and we both kinda seen it at the same time while comparin mine to the other carb! Now i just need to fine tune it, which i'm kinda scared about that, is there a good starting point to tuning one, i think the fuel screw is the main thing that scares me lol

03-25-2011, 06:47 AM
and no you don't Have to have the hot start, i removed mine, plugged the hole with silicone and never looked back

quad71
03-25-2011, 11:39 PM
42 pilot 1 3/4 turns out for me starts great when hot, 09 kicker uni filter no box lid. fuel screw if you are less then 1 turn out go down size with pilot if more then 2 1/4 go up with pilot. adjust when hot not cold.

Sniper05
03-26-2011, 04:38 AM
Cool, right now I'm runnin a 45 pilot and 2 1/2 turns out on the fuel screw and seems to be startin pretty good, still have a little bog though?