PDA

View Full Version : need answer!!??

01boneless
03-22-2011, 08:23 PM
hey guys ive brought this up befor but never got a straigt answer . i took my 400 to the shop and he did the cam chain and tentioner and he said it needed rings so i told him to put them in all good. BUT befor i took it , it fouls pugs real easy like if you gave it too much gas try to start it or on choke when running ,but once it warmed up runs great!!! my question is since it needed rings cam chain and tetioner and it was i think out of time (or closed to it) would that make it foul pugs?? also i dont think its running rich because the plug burns light brown like its supsed tooo!! if you put it on choke take the play out of the throttle start it hold on steady throttle push choke down and warm it up it runs great so idk helpppp

honda400ex2003
03-22-2011, 08:55 PM
its very possible to have it foul plugs when the timing is starting to get off.

it sounds like more of a pilot sizing issue though. too big on the pilot would cause this too happen with the choke killing it out and fouling the system from too much mixture.

steve

01boneless
03-22-2011, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
its very possible to have it foul plugs when the timing is starting to get off.

it sounds like more of a pilot sizing issue though. too big on the pilot would cause this too happen with the choke killing it out and fouling the system from too much mixture.

steve

thanks if you dont mind me asking how do you normaly start yours up when its cold? lol

honda400ex2003
03-22-2011, 09:16 PM
pump the throttle 3-5 times if it is tuned correctly on the pilot and f/a. if it takes any more or less than that it is too rich or too lean.

for the winter i pump it about 10 times and get it to pop over then i can run the choke if it is really cold but i have to take the fenders off with the r carb to use it so i avoid it when possible.

summer it is tuned correctly for so im good to go there.

my suggestion for you to try, go in half a turn on your f/a screw and give it a whirl with the choke on as you usually would when doing the ritual.

thats what it feels like... a ritual. Im the only one that can start mine cold along with just about any other machine in my garage. they are all different and require finesse to get going on the first button push.

lol steve

steve

01boneless
03-22-2011, 09:24 PM
so its normal to have a ritual when starting thank you thats what i was looking for like all my othe quads you could just hop on and start but i heard 400exs are also cold natured lol but anyway thaks bud. ps the honda tech guy took some kind of tool thingy and adjusted the carb and told me to keep my fingers off lol

honda400ex2003
03-22-2011, 09:26 PM
then it will probably be ok when you get it back. if it works for you, leave it alone lol. i like to be the only one able to start it anyway, it keeps everyone off till im ready for them to ride it. lol steve

CJM
03-22-2011, 09:31 PM
with a 42 pilot for the 416 all I need to do is leave choke on fully, hit throttle 2-3x, and crank, it idles then dies, then I go to half choke and it turns over, let run for 15 secs and switch to no choke and it idles fine.

I attribute this to the fact I always run the carb outta gas when I pack it in for the week.

400exmxrider15
03-22-2011, 09:32 PM
Thats how I keep people off mine too! If you can't start it cold, you cant ride it hot. plain and simple....

honda400ex2003
03-22-2011, 09:44 PM
:devil: :devil: theres always a method to my madness. be it a sled or wheeler or my bike, im the only one that can go out and start every machine in the garage. my dad even has trouble with them and just leaves them for me when i come home.

:devil: :devil: :blah: steve

slightlybent47
03-22-2011, 09:52 PM
I have lots of mods on my ex, and I’ve had both ex carb and the 450 carb and I never use the choke, mine doesn’t even have a choke on it. It starts with a single bump of the starter, no mater how long it sits or how cold it is.
Sounds like an incomplete job to me, id take it back and have him tune it, at his cost.
He should have never let go if it wasn’t rite.

honda400ex2003
03-22-2011, 09:53 PM
agreed with slightly. i thought it was still getting the new stuff in it and in the mean time you were talking about it. id def take it back and tell him to fix it if it doesnt start to your liking.

steve

400exmxrider15
03-22-2011, 09:54 PM
:devil: :devil: theres always a method to my madness. be it a sled or wheeler or my bike, im the only one that can go out and start every machine in the garage. my dad even has trouble with them and just leaves them for me when i come home.

baahahaha. My dad cant start them and my gpa can, but he never warms them up, he just goes, so i always take my tether out before i go inside and put it in my bedroom drawer. Needless to say he comes in saying "Hey Conner, get your a** out here, your 400 won't start". So I come out with key in hand, insert into the tether, hit start button, and it starts purring. I generally warm it up in the summer around 3 mins at tops, but in the winter more like 5, even though i have a heated garage at 60*F!

honda400ex2003
03-22-2011, 10:12 PM
lame... slightly you took it out of there. popped my whole balloon. defeats the purpose of my whole post. im bumming now, im going to bed... :(
steve

01boneless
03-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by CJM
with a 42 pilot for the 416 all I need to do is leave choke on fully, hit throttle 2-3x, and crank, it idles then dies, then I go to half choke and it turns over, let run for 15 secs and switch to no choke and it idles fine.

I attribute this to the fact I always run the carb outta gas when I pack it in for the week.

thanks bud so its not just me every one have a methoed on the ex

01boneless
03-22-2011, 10:15 PM

ha my uncle is like ima go out and run the heck out of it im like ya as i think to my self (you foul the plug and its going up you nose) lol:eek2:

01boneless
03-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by 400exmxrider15
Thats how I keep people off mine too! If you can't start it cold, you cant ride it hot. plain and simple....

never thought of it like that bro lol

01boneless
03-22-2011, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
I have lots of mods on my ex, and I’ve had both ex carb and the 450 carb and I never use the choke, mine doesn’t even have a choke on it. It starts with a single bump of the starter, no mater how long it sits or how cold it is.
Sounds like an incomplete job to me, id take it back and have him tune it, at his cost.
He should have never let go if it wasn’t rite.

lol you missunderstood i hvent got it back yet, it fouled before i took it thanks though

01boneless
03-22-2011, 10:19 PM
agreed with slightly. i thought it was still getting the new stuff in it and in the mean time you were talking about it. id def take it back and tell him to fix it if it doesnt start to your liking.

steve

i havent got it back yet it was fouling befor i took it to the shop so u think itl be alright?

CJM
03-22-2011, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by 01boneless
thanks bud so its not just me every one have a methoed on the ex

I figured with the 42 pilot it would start way easier, it does to a degree. It doesnt start up like bents does-I may play with the a/f screw a bit more

I hate carbs and always had issues tuning them. But jetting imho is really easy once I got acquainted with the way keihin carbs and fcr carbs work. my only previous carb work was on some lawnmowers and some cars, some of which were a real PITA to work on. These carbs are stupid simple, to access any of the jets remvoe the float bowl, want just the main remove the 17mm hex head cap

01boneless
03-22-2011, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by CJM
I figured with the 42 pilot it would start way easier, it does to a degree. It doesnt start up like bents does-I may play with the a/f screw a bit more

see the honda dealer told me if i touch the adjustments it would foul plugs easybut he took some sort of tool to set it

slightlybent47
03-22-2011, 10:29 PM
View My Video (http://tinypic.com/r/28jlfs1/7)

honda400ex2003
03-22-2011, 10:30 PM
i havent got it back yet it was fouling befor i took it to the shop so u think itl be alright?

it better be. he probably had a 90 degree flat head that he used for the f/a instead of using a regular screwdriver. steve

slightlybent47
03-22-2011, 10:34 PM
This ex is a 416 and has 12.5 to1, P&P, s2 cam, with a 450 carb. And if tuned rite they should start like this.

Steve i put the vid back up.lol

01boneless
03-22-2011, 10:34 PM
it better be. he probably had a 90 degree flat head that he used for the f/a instead of using a regular screwdriver. steve

well we will se il make an update of it i dont care if it starts as good as bents as long as I know how to start it with out fouling the plug

CJM
03-22-2011, 10:36 PM
see the honda dealer told me if i touch the adjustments it would foul plugs easybut he took some sort of tool to set it

Lemme tell you how much faith I have in dealers (be it any dealership, car, atv, etc.).

Years ago before they tore it down for a bank I went to the local honda dealer to ask about jetting my carb as I thought it was off. They quoted me over 250 dollars and it might have to come back multiple times before they get it right. I said no way and left the carb alone.

Sometime later I tried to do it myself with just basic knowledge and trying to figure out why my exhaust popped and I messed with the A/F screw and messed up the carb. I parked the quad cause I had nowhere to ride and no one to go with.

Fast forward 2 years later and decided to go riding since I met a kid with a dirtbike who agreed to show me some trails. Took it to another dealer a good bit away and they assured me it would be good. Got it back and ran for awhile, then went on a trip to the PA mountains. got back and it smoked, the rings were shot. They jetted it WAY to lean but at the time I didnt want to believe that and thought maybe it was just time for the rings, after all it was stock bore and 7 years old.

Bored it out to 416 and did a hose of other things, took to same dealer and they didnt change the jets, they freaking messed with my A/F screw thats it.. Bike ran to lean, finally took it to someone who likes dynojets and they jetted it but as I later learned it was to rich-it ran ok tho.

Moral of the story-want something done right do it your damn self. Of all places you would think the dealer, when its even noted on your receipt to "jet bike for 416, open airbox and cam" would have a clue??? The other kid who helped me did me better than the dealer did. I fixed it myself with the help of people from this forum (you know who you are /wink) and it runs better than ever.

I dont trust dealers, I do like the people who work at the one I go to, but I prefer to figure out stuff myself and not pay them the insane prices they charge per hour to wreck my quad thank you very much... And it just isnt quad dealers, car dealers do this crap too.

:grr:

honda400ex2003
03-22-2011, 10:37 PM
This ex is a 416 and has 12.5 to1, P&P, s2 cam, with a 450 carb. And if tuned rite they should start like this.

Steve i put the vid back up.lol

its a different one that the other though. oh well...

steve

slightlybent47
03-22-2011, 10:39 PM
My ex was tuned by yours truly!

01boneless
03-22-2011, 10:39 PM
agreed

slightlybent47
03-22-2011, 10:40 PM
Yeah the other one was skipping and it made it sound like it was hard to start!lol

honda400ex2003
03-22-2011, 10:43 PM
agreed

as was mine and still is almost daily if i dont like how it is running for a certain temp. lol

the one i watched just had commentary on it and no starting at all. haha
steve

slightlybent47
03-22-2011, 10:44 PM
I'm uploading the other one now i'll post it in a minuet.

01boneless
03-22-2011, 10:46 PM
as was mine and still is almost daily if i dont like how it is running for a certain temp. lol

the one i watched just had commentary on it and no starting at all. haha
steve

so will it make tha quad foul plugs by messing with the idle or just the a/f

slightlybent47
03-22-2011, 10:50 PM
I never had to mess with the a/f screw at all, I just played with the jets till i got it rite.

Here is the other vid.
View My Video (http://tinypic.com/r/30u8ksl/7)

CJM
03-22-2011, 10:51 PM
to rich on either of those could make it foul while you let it sit and warm up. Going larger in the pilot or allowing more a/f in your causing a rich situation.

In reality unless the plug should be a tan/chocolate brown color. If its black, nasty and full of carbon thats fouled.

http://www.atvriders.com/articles/sparkplug.html

Heres a pic of my plug, its hard to tell but it was tan in that pic.

01boneless
03-22-2011, 10:55 PM
mine burns a nice cardboard brown only time it fouls is when you give it over querter throttle with the choke on. will it hurt if i just start it turn choke off and then go??

CJM
03-22-2011, 11:03 PM
Thats usually how your supposed to do it. Start it with choke, let it idle and warm up and shut choke off and go.

slightlybent47
03-22-2011, 11:03 PM
You don’t want to ride with the choke on. It will make it run too rich, and it should not run well with it on. If it dose run good with the choke on then you defiantly have a problem with something on the carb.

I would start from the beginning and put the stock pilot and main jet back in and set everything back like stock. Then just bump up your main jet till it starts running like you want. Jacking with all the other stuff just gets everything to complicated.
Remember only make one adjustment at a time, or you wont know witch adjustment was the correct one.

01boneless
03-22-2011, 11:08 PM
You don’t want to ride with the choke on. It will make it run too rich, and it should not run well with it on. If it dose run good with the choke on then you defiantly have a problem with something on the carb.

I would start from the beginning and put the stock pilot and main jet back in and set everything back like stock. Then just bump up your main jet till it starts running like you want. Jacking with all the other stuff just gets everything to complicated.
Remember only make one adjustment at a time, or you wont know witch adjustment was the correct one.

i dont think im gonna mess with it heres how it goes COLD i turn choke on push free play out of the throttle and hold it there start it up and i hold it on low throttle push choke down and ride (ONLY TIME IT FOULS IS IF I GIVE IT LOTS OF THROTTLE ON CHOKE) so im good right?

01boneless
03-22-2011, 11:09 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CJM
[B]Thats usually how your supposed to do it. Start it with choke, let it idle and warm up and shut choke off and

good er bad?????????????
how it goes COLD i turn choke on push free play out of the throttle and hold it there start it up and i hold it on low throttle push choke down and ride (ONLY TIME IT FOULS IS IF I GIVE IT LOTS OF THROTTLE ON CHOKE)

01boneless
03-23-2011, 08:33 AM
bump

CJM
03-23-2011, 09:12 AM
Shouldnt have to hold the throttle open when trying to start it. All 400ex stock Ive seen the pilot is a size to small imho. My buddies and his gf is pure stock as is my friends and all of them have to pin the throttle when they finally get it to kick over till it warms up slightly.

The next size up pilot of screwing the a/f screw out 3 turns will help. Id go up a pilot.