PDA

View Full Version : 1994 300ex build

dirtdawg
03-22-2011, 06:55 PM
I just bought 2007 cases on ebay yesterday so the build is underway. It's gonna be a work in progress cuz money is tight so I'm saving money up on the side. Just wiped out what I saved from buying the cases ($295). Anyway,here are the plans for my beast:

Save up for the tools so I can transfer my internals to the new cases. (Don't think I need a case splitter cuz ill be using new cases.)
crank removal tool, flywheel puller, cam install kit, piston pin puller
($211.96)

313ex kit from powroll ($325)

resleeve ($140)

stage 1 hotcam ($169.99)

Kibblewhite valves ($99.99)

Trail porting ($75)

3-angle valve job (?)

new tusk clutch ($50)

Basically its all gonna be engine mods cuz I like my setup otherwise, (other mods are in my sig.)

What kind of horsepower will I make with this setup? Just curious. I'll keep you guys posted on everything as it goes along.

tomtom79
03-22-2011, 07:49 PM
Sweet I am in the same boat. I just picked up two honda 250x's.

smr
03-23-2011, 07:42 AM
I have never heard of a crank removal tool, cam install kit or a piston pin puller....The only thing you need is a fly wheel puller and a Honda manual.

dirtdawg
03-23-2011, 06:21 PM
Well I was kinda pissed about how much the tolls were. You do need a cam install kit because it has to be degreed in properly.

But what do u do to remove the crank? will it just come out once the cases are split and flywheel is off?

I know some tools are made just to make money and add convenience but are not totally necessary so i'll have to read up on it in my clymer manual. I've rebuilt a chevy 350 before so I figure this should be a breeze.

dirtdawg
03-23-2011, 06:36 PM
alright its what i thought. pull the flywheel and electrical stuff on that side then go to the other side and remove the clutch basket and whatever gears are on that side, split cases, then pull it out.

smr
03-24-2011, 06:00 AM
I bet you I've put in over 100 cams and have never even heard of a cam install kit or dgree it properly. Just drop it in with the lobes down and your crank at top dead center.

yes..once the cases are split the crank comes right out.

get the honda manual, it's about $40.00 and gives you step by step intructions (with pictures) on how to split the cases.

dirtdawg
03-28-2011, 06:57 PM
the cases came in today, now gotta save up for PC and of course all the other stuff.

tomtom79
04-05-2011, 08:35 PM
Hows it comming?

dirtdawg
04-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Started the tear-down Sunday. Took off the head cover, head, cylinder, and piston so its down to the bottom end. Now I just have to save up more dough to get a flywheel puller, ($11.99, so I'll have the money very soon), and a gasket kit, so I can transfer the bottom end to the new cases and get that over and done with. Then comes the expensive stuff with all the top end work, but I gotta take it one step at a time.

I'll be working all summer, but I need to save up for my fall semester for college. I pay like $400+ for gas per semester cuz I commute and books will always cost like $300-400 a semester. My parents pay tuition which is like $3,000 a semester, but I gotta pay the other crap so this build can't take all my income.

So once I stop paying $50 a week at the pump when school is over, I'll be able to put more towards the build and get more done. I wish I would have decided to do a build earlier so I'd have more saved up, but oh well.

tomtom79
04-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Yea I kinda know how you feel between the bills, kid, driving the old lady to work then going to work myself, and problems popping up with the suv.

dirtdawg
05-27-2011, 11:32 PM
Got the top end completely torn off last month. Took apart most of the left side today. Most likely gonna finish it off tomorrow or sunday afternoon.Then just need to order the gasket and seal kit.

This build is easier cuz i'm transplanting everything as soon as i take stuff off. I just take things off the old cases and pop them in the new ones. Goes quickly. So once i get the gaskets i can re-assemble the bottom end and put it back on the quad.

Then i gotta get the kit and get the head done with the resleeve and then go from there. But, again, i'm saving money as i go so it's moving slowly. I just plan on doing the engine and getting it in tip-top running shape, hopefully by the fall. Fall is awesome riding weather so i wanna at least be able to try it out b4 the winter months.

Then i'm gonna tear the engine out and do some PC and paint and make it look nice in the winter.

That's it for now. I'll post again when something else comes up.

dirtdawg
05-30-2011, 10:44 PM
Got the engine out yesterday afternoon. Found out the 07 block I got will not accept the reverse setup. The holes are not drilled out for the reverse selector and neutral switch for whatever reason and I am not gonna start drilling into it and mess something up. Weird that this would happen.