PDA

View Full Version : 1st time at the track

wanna_race1
03-22-2011, 06:25 PM
Ok well im thinking about hitting up the track for the 1st time in my life, i really have no idea what it's all about if you know what i mean. I know how to ride and im pretty quick just never been to a track, any tips and guidlines would be appreciated, because i dont have any friends that have ever been either. we all plan on going for the 1st time. i have a 2007 450er btw

ProspectorJim
03-22-2011, 06:27 PM
dont be a goon, hold your line.

rollie
03-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by ProspectorJim
dont be a goon, hold your line.

pretty much all you need to know!

deff hold your line, don't hit a jump then just go over to the other side of the track.

Also if theres some jumps your not sure about, take it slow and only hit them when you feel comfortable, but if you dont hit them try to stay to either the far left or far right, that will make the chances of you getting landed on much smaller.

And just have a good time, don't be intimidated by anyone, everyone will be respectful of you on the track if you do what was mentioned. We have all been in your shoes!:cool:

candidate zero
03-22-2011, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by rollie
pretty much all you need to know!

deff hold your line, don't hit a jump then just go over to the other side of the track.

Also if theres some jumps your not sure about, take it slow and only hit them when you feel comfortable, but if you dont hit them try to stay to either the far left or far right, that will make the chances of you getting landed on much smaller.

And just have a good time, don't be intimidated by anyone, everyone will be respectful of you on the track if you do what was mentioned. We have all been in your shoes!:cool:

+1 on everything he said.

BoneStockHonda
03-22-2011, 08:51 PM
If you've jumped before you'll be fine. My first time on a track (last June) I just did a lap around the track rolling over all the jumps (making sure to stay out of the way) to get an idea of how fast I can hit everything. Then I just started hitting stuff, there was only one jump I didn't make the first few times but once i figured out how to carry speed through the corner I was clearing everything with ease. It's alot of fun, especially your first time because you feel yourself getting fast as you start racking up laps. Just have fun with it. And BTW it is ALOT more tiring then any trail ride you've ever done haha.

wanna_race1
03-22-2011, 08:53 PM
and btw my bike is almost stock, no engine mods, and im a little heavier 275 pounds 6,5. not fat work out alot. can my bike hold up?

300ex_#387
03-22-2011, 09:18 PM
Ride fast and take chances.

slightlybent47
03-22-2011, 09:45 PM
Good advice so far, hold your line, ride to your ability only, don’t try to ride over your head. If you want to change your line that’s ok just look before you leap! If you want to let someone pass, pull to the right (look before you do) and put you hand up.
Watch and wait till there are fewer riders on the track and ride then, don’t worry they will get tired after awhile and stop.
Stop when your tired, that’s when bad things happen.

wanna_race1
03-22-2011, 10:01 PM
ok so this "line" ya'll are talking about, im not sure i get it. Are you meaning like stay to one side of the track, or a more defined area?

bean #310
03-22-2011, 10:53 PM
i just started riding this year too. i havent been to the track yet though, but i think when they say keep your line is by not swearving all over the track a keeping a straight line, thats how ive always understood it

Sjorge450R
03-22-2011, 11:28 PM
holding your line means not riding like a mad man. When you come around a corner and you point or quad in a direction, stick with that. Dont swerve and do not do any unexpected braking. This holds for any time of racing too.

slightlybent47
03-23-2011, 12:08 AM
Holding your line means not swerving wildly from one side to the other.
You’ll also see a line develop on the track, a groove so to speak, where everyone is riding in the same spot on the track (that’s the track line). If you have a faster rider breathing down your neck and trying to pass, don’t panic and don’t be intimidated you stay on the beaten path (Hold your line) and let the fast rider find a way around you.
Even if the track line goes from one side of the track to the other you stay on the line in the track and they will pass when they see you’re staying on the line. And don’t let them push you faster then you want to go, you have a rite to be there, just ride at your own pace.
If there are two lines in a corner (an inside and an outside line) and your in the inside, stay to the inside and don’t drift out when you come out of the corner (hold your line)
Same on the outside, stay outside and don’t square off the corner and cut to the inside.
It’s just like driving down a winding two lane road and someone wants to pass, you just stay in your lane and drive the speed you want and let the car behind you pass when they can.

Generally you’ll see that all the fast guys will all ride at the same time and then the beginners ride together, and they take turns riding and resting off and on all day.

wanna_race1
03-23-2011, 10:52 AM
alright i think i got it. well ill get some pics of my 1st time and maybe post them up here.

ZeroLogic
03-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Hold your line, don't goon. Stay out of peoples ways and don't destroy the track.:o

People will respect you although you always get the one guy.:scary:

Lasher
03-23-2011, 11:17 AM
One mistake I see a lot of newbies make is the holeshot. Just because you can get out in front off the start...should you be there?

I usually recommend to 1st timers is to not "go for it" on the holeshot. When the gate drops...delay a second then go. This will put you in the back of the pack into the first turn, but will do a couple things that will help.

1) You will be able to avoid any traffic jams in the first turn.
2) Your nerves will not be as high since you already decided to not worry about where you are in the pack
3) Faster riders will be in front of you, so you don't have to worry about being passed by a faster rider who got a bad start.

Being last out of the first turn will allow you to focus on the track in front of you, since no one will be behind you. If you do have the speed, see how far up in the pack you can make it. Once you can run at a similar speed to the front half of the pack, then the holeshot will make a difference.

Oh...one other thing. Do NOT look 10ft in front of the quad. You need to focus further ahead.

And remember to take breathe!

TCracin440ex
03-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Lasher
One mistake I see a lot of newbies make is the holeshot. Just because you can get out in front off the start...should you be there?

I usually recommend to 1st timers is to not "go for it" on the holeshot. When the gate drops...delay a second then go. This will put you in the back of the pack into the first turn, but will do a couple things that will help.

1) You will be able to avoid any traffic jams in the first turn.
2) Your nerves will not be as high since you already decided to not worry about where you are in the pack
3) Faster riders will be in front of you, so you don't have to worry about being passed by a faster rider who got a bad start.

Being last out of the first turn will allow you to focus on the track in front of you, since no one will be behind you. If you do have the speed, see how far up in the pack you can make it. Once you can run at a similar speed to the front half of the pack, then the holeshot will make a difference.

Oh...one other thing. Do NOT look 10ft in front of the quad. You need to focus further ahead.

And remember to take breathe!

i dont think hes talking about actually racing i think he might be going to an open practice or something to that extent.

TheLane
03-23-2011, 05:30 PM
Something i havent seen people mentioned is the difference between taking manicured jumps and desert riding.

Landing on a steep downslope is a little different then desert riding. it definitely takes some getting used to.

Im more of a freestyler and just started racing myself and going from very gradual landing on freestyle type jumps to the steep landings found on a lot of tracks can be intimidating.

What i did that helped me was picked a part of the track i wanted to work on, or an easier jump and hit it over and over and over and over and over again until i got the hang of getting my bike at the right angle.

and dont be intimidated, set your shocks right and your bike will do JUST fine. The track is a blast!

(oh and if you want to avoid a fight with the dirt bikers, try and not destroy their ruts in the turns. the quads will have a path and so will the dirt bikers)

slightlybent47
03-23-2011, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by TheLane
and dont be intimidated, set your shocks right and your bike will do JUST fine. The track is a blast!

(oh and if you want to avoid a fight with the dirt bikers, try and not destroy their ruts in the turns. the quads will have a path and so will the dirt bikers)

I don’t know about anyone else but I paid my money just like everyone else. The last thing I’m worried about is dirt biker’s firkin ruts.lol
Ride where you want, you paid to ride so ride already.

madskrillz2
03-23-2011, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
I don’t know about anyone else but I paid my money just like everyone else. The last thing I’m worried about is dirt biker’s firkin ruts.lol

Hell yeah. If they make a big deal about it, it's usually because they can't ride very good anyway. I just laugh if I hear someone *****ing about something like that.

But like everyone is saying, hold your line and if someone faster is coming up on you please make some room. There's nothing I hate worse than somebody pullin a Joe Byrd and making their quad 20 feet wide when they won't jump ANYTHING on the track.

feuerstack411
03-23-2011, 10:50 PM
If you're going to roll a jump, go to the side, and always put your hand up before you do. Also, if you're pulling off the track at all and theres someone behind, put your hand up to let the one rider know

phreak
03-24-2011, 12:24 PM
before getting out on the track, take a few minutes and watch other riders. it'll give you somewhat of an idea of where the lines are.

also, take your time on the first lap and roll everything. made that mistake a couple times. :scary:

as others have said, don't let faster riders spook you into getting in over your head. it can be a little nerve racking hearing faster riders come up behind you. just hold your line and they'll make their way around you.

TheLane
03-24-2011, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47

Lol I'm not saying I agree with em, but for someone who has never been there before it might not be a bad idea to avoid riding on em and avoid confrontation. Especially if it's not gonna make a difference to him where he's riding. No sense in starting trouble for no reason!

Now if it's the fastest line and that's what your working on, **** em!

beastlywarrior
03-24-2011, 01:58 PM
i always use the bike ruts to my advantage to help me corner faster. i always use that on my friends and they still havent figured out.