PDA

View Full Version : Air shocks vs spring shocks

quadbeast3
03-22-2011, 10:38 AM
Im thinking about purchasing some new suspension and Im up in the air about what to do. I have always rode spring shocks an have rode every brand of them from Works to PEP. I've been leaning towards purchasing a set of air shocks but don't know if they will be as good as spring shocks. I'll be running which ever shocks on Lonestar DC-4 a-arms. In your guys opinions which should I go with and any other info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

witech
03-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Ive run quadruple rate long travel elkas and then to double rate ohlins. Elkas had a sweet ride and handling but the ohlins were for jumpin. The fox float evols dsc Ive switched my quads to have the best of both worlds .
I doubt I will ever go back to springs.

8secnotch
03-22-2011, 06:28 PM
I also rode on all types of spring type front shocks and I now ride the lone star dc4s and custom axis pro airs and I have not rode anything that handled better or easier to adjust. Srtait up the best set up I've ever ridden on period.

quadbeast3
03-23-2011, 08:49 AM
Thank you for the input, the thing im most concerned about is if the air shocks will be a hassel or not. Are they something that you have to keep after as in adjusting the air before you ride everytime and things of that sort?

witech
03-23-2011, 09:06 AM
I installed my first set back in the fall and they have lost about 5 pounds over winter. They did a heck of a job on seal design. The only issue I can see is shaft damage from running without guards which you should never do. It might be an issue if you frequently ride in deep mud as well but I have no data on that.

400exrider707
03-23-2011, 11:49 AM
My vote is for Ti sprung shocks.

ds19
03-28-2011, 07:56 AM
Have rode peps elkas and fox evols. floats the the best easiest to adjust and have unlimited adjustments... super light too last longer would never run spring shocks again!

fearlessfred
03-29-2011, 06:06 PM
my choice would be air spings and shocks

scotturban
03-30-2011, 10:37 AM
I run fox floats, they ride really good, had elkas before and the foxes are quite a bit better in my opinion,

400exrider707
03-30-2011, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by scotturban
I run fox floats, they ride really good, had elkas before and the foxes are quite a bit better in my opinion,

My stock rebuilds were far better than any elkas I had, so not really saying much there.

ProRider#1
03-30-2011, 12:19 PM
The only person on this forum that made any sense at all was the guy using Titaniumn Springs ,He know a quality product and yes a spring is better than Air , more consistant. Air shocks change significantly with tempeture ,think about it thats why nobody make a rear air shock because of exhaust heat.... Air shocks are popular because they are cheap to build ,and they cost less money . Ohlins and Axis are by far the best Shocks on the market ,engineering and quality are a factor .
You want quality and experience ,go to hendrickracingshocks.com Hendrick builds and services suspension and considered the best in the industry, he has sponsered me and helped me for years..

tayyo789
04-01-2011, 01:55 PM
I hear good things about Motowoz

scotturban
04-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by tayyo789
I hear good things about Motowoz

agree, they'd be my next set of shocks everyone seems to love them, and seeing a lot more of them at the nationals now too, plus ive heard there cheaper then the others

trompen542
04-04-2011, 02:19 PM
motowoz best we have ridden

pred67
04-11-2011, 04:03 PM
I've run tcs, fox podium and elka rear, pep big bottles, fox floats, and just got motowoz. I loved the adjustability of the fox and mine never leaked but it did get be a pain adjusting. I would rate what i've had in this order:
1.Motowoz
2.floats
3.PEP's(wish i could try PB1's)
4.fox podium
5.TCS
6.Elka(blew out in 3rd race and never valved correctly)

Not much time on the motowoz but love them so far. Also all of these were on different machines with different a-arm setups so i'm sure thats part of how i felt on how things worked.