PDA

View Full Version : splitting cases

jfarrar30
03-21-2011, 06:17 PM
is the special tool really needed to split the cases? wanna replace crank bearings and seals

xtremeatv
03-22-2011, 12:11 PM
you can do it without a case splitter but they sure work good and are nice to have.

jfarrar30
03-22-2011, 05:13 PM
got one coming

nastynotchback1
03-24-2011, 06:06 AM
i split mine with a couple of screwdrivers in just a min or so.

Coley'sdad#8
03-24-2011, 10:04 AM
OUCH:eek2:
HOW do you keep from destroying the cases, wow thats like playing with fire wearing a paper prom dress.
I probably have 30 different type pullers / splitters and they DO need to be split / assembled square and straight in the bearing journals. Even though I have all the knowledege and correct tools I still am still nervous as a crackhead @ church pulling and pressing those eggshell cases:rolleyes:

nastynotchback1
03-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Coley'sdad#8
OUCH:eek2:
HOW do you keep from destroying the cases, wow thats like playing with fire wearing a paper prom dress.
I probably have 30 different type pullers / splitters and they DO need to be split / assembled square and straight in the bearing journals. Even though I have all the knowledege and correct tools I still am still nervous as a crackhead @ church pulling and pressing those eggshell cases:rolleyes:

I didn't make it this far in life being a dummy LOL

i guess i have never gotten ahold of a tough set.

xtremeatv
03-24-2011, 12:12 PM
I learned the hard way using the screwdriver method, not a good thing. However if you dont have a puller a rubber mallet works good to separate them as well.

skyeryder
03-24-2011, 12:50 PM
alittle heat will do wonders

Coley'sdad#8
03-25-2011, 05:53 AM

I know ya didn't, I have had some that required nothing just a little twisting and tapping of plastic mallet they were so easy and some others felt like they needed to be in my 75ton press:rolleyes:

nastynotchback1
03-25-2011, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by Coley'sdad#8

I know ya didn't, I have had some that required nothing just a little twisting and tapping of plastic mallet they were so easy and some others felt like they needed to be in my 75ton press:rolleyes:

i am going to look up this tool yall are talking about and maybe go ahead and purchase one because my next case splitting won't go so well i bet:D

Coley'sdad#8
03-25-2011, 06:04 AM
sent ya pm Nasty

thequadfather+2
03-25-2011, 06:17 AM
Just do it like I did......Put the case splitter on, tighten, tap with rubber mallet, heat slightly with heat gun, apply pressure with case splitter and...pop.....break the side of the case off.

Lesson learned, dont get in a hury. It works better when you remove the bolts holding the case together before splitting the case otherwise, it will not split where you think it will:D

Just a little advice

Coley'sdad#8
03-25-2011, 06:34 AM
That's some good advice Bruce I will try to remember that, maybe write it in marker on the plastic case my pullers are in:eek2:

EVERYBODY has had something like that happen so don't feel bad.
When it happens you just sit there staring at it for a second like it is going to heal itself somehow:rolleyes:

thequadfather+2
03-25-2011, 08:12 AM
yes, exactly. I stood there looking at it. I stepped back and looked down inside and saw the bolts stiill in...Thats when the 6 year old tantrum over-took me :devil:

Maybe somebody will remember this thread and think about it right before it happens to them.

Actually that would make a good thread..."bone-head moves" or "funny now; not so funny then.." Have everyone post up their mistakes, we may all learn something.