PDA

View Full Version : First Road Kill

BoneStockHonda
03-20-2011, 07:45 PM
Well about 2 hours ago I was on driving to my little brother's hockey game and I cat jumped out right in front of the car from the woods next to the road. I tried swerving but still ran it over with 2 tires. I turned around and pulled in the driveway right where I hit it. My dad got out and talked to the guy, turns out he was just moving into the house and left the door open so he could move stuff in and the cat got out. I felt terrible after seeing the guy on the verge of tears holding his cat. If it was a wild animal I could care less but I feel bad knowing I just killed someone's pet (luckily it wasn't some little kids). Anyone else have anything similar happen?

Quad18star
03-20-2011, 07:58 PM
You did the right thing by stopping. So many people would just drive off , leaving an animal to suffer or by leaving the owner wonder what happened to their pet.

justin1022
03-20-2011, 08:35 PM
just got my licence like 3 months ago and the 2nd month of having it i was cruising 120km/h down a icy road in a rush to work and a rabbit ran onto the road and starting running right down my lane it was icy so i didn't want to swerve and crash over a rabbit so i just lined it up on the middle of the truck and hoped i didn't hear a clunk but unfortuently i did :(

slightlybent47
03-20-2011, 08:51 PM
I agree you did the write thing by stopping. Main thing to remember and I’ve seen it happen more then you think, is never swerve or take evasive action to miss an animal if it risk you losing control or causing an accident. I know it’s a knee jerk reaction to swerve but only if you can do it without creating a worse problem.

One time my grandpa swerved to miss some gunnies and hit another car, and I’ve seen it happen a lot.
It’s no fun hitting an animal but better the animal then you or someone else.

On a similar note I’ve hit a squirrel on the track while racing. And I hit a Mocking bird racing also.lol
The squirrel tried to cross at the wrong time and the bird waited just a little too long.lol

wckedclownz69
03-20-2011, 08:55 PM
i do better hunting deer with the vehicles, than i do with the gun

slightlybent47
03-20-2011, 08:56 PM
Oh! And I hit 3 wild bore hogs out in west Texas while driving a frack unit for Western oil. Now that was nasty, they ran across the road in front of me and I hit them broad side at about 60 mph in a truck that weighed around 120k. we came back by there on the way back from delivering the units to the rig and there was chunks of meat scattered all over the road for several hundred yards.

Tommy Warren
03-20-2011, 09:59 PM
I hit a deer a few years ago on a scrambler and ended up with a broken arm and 2 broken ribs...good eatin though

CJM
03-20-2011, 10:47 PM
Ran over a deer this past october in my moms suv, banged it up pretty good too. Thing just ran out in front and I did avoid it but it was to late.

Canadian144
03-20-2011, 11:54 PM
Almost hit a moose last summer! Was driving home at night from my cottage (with my dad next to me and my mom/grandma following in my mom's car) in our F150. Our cottage is about 3 hours north of Toronto, so lots of trees, lakes, wildlife, etc.

Anyways we were going along this really really curvy/hilly road, I was doing about 70 (speed limit was 60), going around a sharp corner, and WHAM, in the middle of the road there was a moose. At first I thought it was a dog or something, then everything sorta slows down and you focus in on it and I realized it was a moose and jammed on the brake pedal. It moved to the side of the road slowly, and we pulled up to watch it.... it stood there looking us for about 30 seconds then started walking back in front of our truck into the woods.

Almost hit a coyote out near my farm when I was hauling *** on the LTR450 in the fields, it darted out from this wooded area without any warning. I jammed on the brakes (which didn't do too much as it was really muddy out) and luckily missed it.

TheLane
03-21-2011, 01:49 AM
I ran over a prairie dog at the track the other day...poor little guy.

kfx400rider03
03-21-2011, 07:42 AM
i had a deer run into the passenger door on my truck.:rolleyes:

backwoodsracer
03-21-2011, 11:08 AM
I hit a goose at 53mph on my grizzly[I had just looked at it and when i looked up i hit the goose], hit me dead in the face with my helmet no goggles..... i thought i broke my neck D: I got a black eye from a giat bumble bee doin about 75 on my YZ. Hit a guinny on my warrior..... but it lived... i had a little doe jump over the front of my fourtraxx scared me..

norris19
03-21-2011, 12:00 PM
my buddy smacked a grouse going about 40 mph on his foreman. we took it back to camp, cleaned it and cooked it up haha.

another time my dad and i were in our canoe fishing on the susquehanna river and had a muskie jump right over the front of the canoe. it damn near landed right in the boat.

buck440
03-22-2011, 02:33 PM
whatever you do, don't get goodyear viva 2's. they are raccoon magnet's:D

HondaRacing83
03-22-2011, 02:50 PM
ive hit a few turkeys, my dog, a deer, a few squirrels and alot of rabbits on quads. nothin to bad.
Hit a turkey on my 250ex, and one on my 400ex
Tapped a deer on the 400
Killed very many rabbits and squirrels on the 400
I was going full 3rd gear down a gas well line back on my property and my dog jumped out on the side at the last minute. i gathered enough control to shift down and hit the brakes fast enough. tapped her with my bumper. ohh! and i hit a raccoon!

K-Dub
03-22-2011, 06:03 PM
Yea the swerving for animals is not good. I swerved to miss a deer, hit the deer it did minimal damage to the bumper of my truck. It broke every bone in the deer. Just a pile of jello. Put to tires of the side of the road trying to miss the deer couldnt bring it back on smacked a tree head on. Luckily it only hurt the bumper and filler between it and the grill. I broke the steering wheel and busted the windshield with my head. Walked away and was at work an hour later, was running late for work and going way way way to fast.

Hit a deer with the 450R once, came from nowhere. Luckily I got the front end up and wheelied over it. The deer got up and ran off.

I was on my buddy's grizzly about 4am and came up on a horse, as I flew by the horse decides it gonna run into me. I threw a shoulder block into the horse to divert its direction. Dislocated my shoulder but didnt crash.

Scro
03-22-2011, 07:01 PM
The thickets come right up to the side of one of the back roads I travel to work. I hit rabbits on a weekly basis. Makes you feel bad, but I'm sure it makes a nice meal for something.:D Besides that, I haven't hit anything to cause damage.

buck440
03-23-2011, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by Scro
The thickets come right up to the side of one of the back roads I travel to work. I hit rabbits on a weekly basis. Makes you feel bad, but I'm sure it makes a nice meal for something.:D Besides that, I haven't hit anything to cause damage.

i guess some good comes out of it. if we hit a deer or a turkey and it's not too torn up, it's coming home. if not more than likely some other animal has a easy meal. it's a win win :)