PDA

View Full Version : herniated disk in neck from racing

MNChemEng
03-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Anyone ever experience this from riding or racing. I am putting off surgery by laying in a decompression machine twice a week. My only symptom is a numb hand. I would like to start riding my quad again soon. Would like to know if anyone on here has had to go through this before. Thanks

LTandRaptorider
03-20-2011, 07:36 PM
Mine's not herniated, but I have a couple bulging discs in the cervical spine(neck). Mine is from a couple quad accidents. I've had occasional pain in shoulder and down arm, and numbness in fingers/hand. Few months ago it got bad enough I went back to the ortho doc. He said I could try PT for now, but said I would most likely need surgery in the neck. I said no way. Went to a local chiropractor for PT. She was hot, which kept me going initially. What kept me going longer was the neck traction. After a few treatments I felt the best I had in a long time. I ended up buying my own cervical traction machine on ebay. The chiro office had a brand called Pronex. On recommendation from a friend I bought a Saunders traction machine for $169. It does work good, but think I may like the Pronex better. So long story short, neck traction works great for disc problem, but of course consult your doctor first. Check ebay, they have some of both brands I mentioned. This is a problem you will have rest of your life, so I figured might as well get my own machine. I use it daily when I get a chance, but at least 3 times a week is good.

blacknblue#2
03-20-2011, 07:51 PM
I also have bulging disk caused from past accidents. I may take LT's advice and purchase something like that to use every once in a while because i have not been the same since i injured mine. Im only 24 and can feel the weather changing in my back lol. I could never do MX like i used to either due to loss of movement in certain directions. It sucks when i look back on it now but cant say that i would change anything if i could go back. I had alot of fun even if i do feel it at 5:30 every morning when i get up lol

MNChemEng
03-20-2011, 07:53 PM
They said mine was herniated and I have the same symptoms as you. Ocassional pain in arm but always a numb right hand. Decompression machine is similar to neck traction. I might look into buying a traction machine. Thanks

SRH
03-20-2011, 10:22 PM
you want to make sure thats fixed, i crashed at dilla in 05 hard and my hip and leg went numb couldnt move at first then i shook it off, every since id have nerve issues, me thinking im a man shook it off then 08 broke my back in the same area that had been bothering me, legs are better than wheels, dont **** around with back or neck issues!!