PDA

View Full Version : Buying this week,need advice!

socal
03-20-2011, 09:08 AM
I will be buying a 250r this week.For some reason im stuck on the whole 88-89 thing.I have seen some sweet 86-87 versions out there with more of what im looking for as far as motor work.No matter which I buy I will be doing a long travel setup.If you were in my shoes,would you care what year to get?Am I thinking too much into the changes of the 88-89s?Is there a thing with 250r owners that the 88-89s are the ones to have?

addictedtomud
03-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Since you are planning to deck it out with long travel suspension and motor work, I wouldn't worry too much about what year it starts off as...

jcs003
03-20-2011, 12:45 PM
any year 250r is good in my opinion. i just think the 88 looks the coolest. here is a link that shows the differences:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_TRX250R

deathman53
03-20-2011, 02:25 PM
most of the changes that were made from 86-89 are something that can be adapted to all years(4). Almost all year 250r parts interchange, the major differences is the frames, they changed from 86 to 88. Since you are gonna do motor and suspension work, the year shouldn't matter. Long travel suspension is a myth, it should really be called long body. It has the same amount of travel, the shock body is longer, allowing more oil and thus it doesn't fade as much(heat up) and can be valved more widely to work in diversified conditions.

250Renvy
03-20-2011, 02:46 PM
It really depends, because the 86 and 87 have a lot of differences as well. The motors and front motor mounts are like 88's on the 87's.

To put it simply. An 86 is different than an 88, but an 87 is kind of in between.

If you are going to keep the stock swingarm, I personally prefer the 88, in both the motor as well. My preference for the 88 is that most aftermarket swingarms and things like footpegs and quite a few other things are geared to the newer setups, thus giving a few more options. However there are MANY MANY, more 86's out there simply because of production numbers.

DnB_racing
03-20-2011, 03:18 PM
if you can find any at a decent price,then get one at a reasonable price

any year can be made to look like the other, im assuming you like the red plastics of the 88, just know that those are very expensive plastics,and almost any one you get the plastics will be spiderwebed, and will brake easy... if you find one with mint red oem plastic..get it!!the plastic alone is worth almost the value of the quad
but remember your not riding on plastic, as long as the quad is solid and all there..
one other big thing is the case savers, as cases are not currently being made..Not yet anyways!!
so in my opinion find any year that has a good motor and frame, and you can build from there...

the real deals right now are on the high end full aftermarket 250s
quads that have $15000-$20000 worth of parts are going for $5000..

if you can afford 5 grand you will definitely get the most for your money

socal
03-20-2011, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the replies!I purchased this morning a 86 with a 88 ESR 310 motor for 1600 with a complete set of sand wheels and tires.I will be needing aftermarket parts so if you got anything I will have a thread in the classified section!