PDA

View Full Version : Quick heim joint question (jrd)

03-19-2011, 02:15 PM
Me and my dad are having an argument. Are you supposed to put any grease or oil or wd40 or anything on them to keep them from getting stiff? They are jrd a arms i have.

DnB_racing
03-19-2011, 03:21 PM
most are self lubricating Teflon and adding lube just gives dirt something to stick to, there are ways to protect them there are called....Seals-It Heim Seals

if your riding in water and mud it will be fine to clean them out with a wd40,

if your in dusty conditions all the time keep them dry

by the way what do you think??? did you say to grease or not?

NacsMXer
03-19-2011, 03:59 PM
I have Roll Design arms which use similar joints to the JRD's. I called Roll Design when I first got them asking about this and they suggested a little Triflow teflon spray lubricant every now and then wouldn't hurt things. I got a couple cans at Ace hardware.

I only spray them once in a great while to keep things moving freely, I don't keep them soaked in it. When I do treat them, I usually wash the quad, dry it, and then spray the Triflow on the upper/lower joints. I work the suspension a little and then wipe off what I can with a dry paper towel. Seems to keep the heims and lower spherical bearings happy.

03-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Im with nacs, i told him that maybe cleaning them every once in a while wont hurt anything, but giving the dirt something to stick to will just wear them out quicker. Ill have to stop by ace and check out that stuff, sounds good. On another note, how long do your heim joints last?

400exrider707
03-21-2011, 06:36 AM
They're self lubricating teflon heims (if you have the good ones on there still) they don't need, nor should you spray anything on them.