PDA

View Full Version : 2 strokes

eggman08
03-19-2011, 02:10 PM
Hi I'm new on here. I have a 700 raptor with the big 3, but I'm looking to buy a 2 stroke in the next couple months. I somewhat understand how they work, but i dont understand the powerband. i mainly hillclimb and people i have talked to tell me if i dont understand the powerband that i could get messed up hillclimbing. So I would appreciate if someone could help me and explain it.

TheLane
03-19-2011, 02:28 PM
2 words

Stop/ Go

The powerband is super super touchy, your either at little to no throttle or wide open is how it feels.

Ps welcome to the boards.

eggman08
03-19-2011, 03:17 PM
So pretty much when hitting a hill on a 2 stroke make a wise gear choice and keep the throttle hammered.

TheLane
03-19-2011, 04:01 PM
I wouldnt say necessarily to keep it hammered( you dont want tooo much spin). you will see the first time you ride one, they are just very very very touchy.

Dustin_Drews
03-19-2011, 05:16 PM
LOL...
It is not like you are riding a power breathing dragon....
Just learn how to keep it pulling in he powerband!
Drive one you will see it is nothing to be scared of!
God Bless,
Dustin Drews

wilkin250r
03-19-2011, 08:31 PM
Your Raptor 700 has a nice, smooth power delivery. You give it a little more throttle, you get a little more power. You don't give it throttle, you don't get power.

A 2-stroke is a little funny, it really depends where in the RPM range you are. If you're in the low range, you give it more throttle, you don't get much of anything back. But suddenly it hits that magic RPM range and you get a huge increase in power without changing the throttle at all.

Like Dustin says, it's not fire-breathing dragon. But you DO need to know and be prepared for it.

deathman53
03-20-2011, 02:15 PM
2 strokes aren't light switches. Port them right, enough compression, timing, carb, pipe, ignition and if you have a power valve. You can tune them to make 4 stroke like toque and a smooth power or light switch power thats hits really hard. A ktm 300 or gasgas 300 motor would be the best examples of 2 strokes that can pull, pull and keep pulling and not be a "light switch" and be smooth. This 4 stroke crap about 2 strokes needs to stop and people need get the real story, not what "my friends mom's cousin told me".

Dustin_Drews
03-21-2011, 09:03 AM
Well said death man!
God Bless,
Dustin Drews

TheLane
03-21-2011, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
This 4 stroke crap about 2 strokes needs to stop and people need get the real story, not what "my friends mom's cousin told me".

And his opinion is law!!!!!!:macho

Id hate to be your kid. :blah:

eggman08
03-22-2011, 07:13 PM
Thanks everyone for the help. Hopefully i get a 2 stroke soon so i can see what they are all about.

IcutMetl
04-06-2011, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
2 strokes aren't light switches. Port them right, enough compression, timing, carb, pipe, ignition and if you have a power valve. You can tune them to make 4 stroke like toque and a smooth power or light switch power thats hits really hard. A ktm 300 or gasgas 300 motor would be the best examples of 2 strokes that can pull, pull and keep pulling and not be a "light switch" and be smooth. This 4 stroke crap about 2 strokes needs to stop and people need get the real story, not what "my friends mom's cousin told me".

Amen! I used to ride a 400ex...it doesn't get much more predictable than that. While its a bit different on a 250r, you should really ride one properly set up before you pass judgement instead of taking a cousin's best friend's brother's word for it. The 250r is so similar to the 400ex its scary, and when set up right can have the power characteristics of a tractor or a damn jet engine. As much horses and handling as your wallet will allow, plus everybody and their brother isn't riding one.

fearlessfred
04-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by IcutMetl
Amen! I used to ride a 400ex...it doesn't get much more predictable than that. While its a bit different on a 250r, you should really ride one properly set up before you pass judgement instead of taking a cousin's best friend's brother's word for it. The 250r is so similar to the 400ex its scary, and when set up right can have the power characteristics of a tractor or a damn jet engine. As much horses and handling as your wallet will allow, plus everybody and their brother isn't riding one.
x2