PDA

View Full Version : newbie porting questions........

jwags13
03-18-2011, 08:38 PM
So i finally found the original builder of my 250r and got to talk to him about my engine. It is a pro-x 310 that is set up for pump gas and it was not ported. I am going to freshin up the top end and was thinking about sending the cylinder to get ported. So my questions are 1) What are the advantages of a good port job? 2) Any disadvantages? (reliability, cooling, harder starting, etc..) My 250r already has a ct midrange pipe, a 38mm airstryker, boysen rad valve and i mainly ride open trails, old race tracks, and open coal mines with hill climbs. Any info at all will help, thank you!!

DnB_racing
03-19-2011, 08:33 AM
the only disadvantage to a good porting on any quad whether it be 2 or 4 stroke it the cost of having a quality job done!!!

porting is the most reliable performance mod that can be done to any quad!!
get a good job done and you will never regret it!!

the only problem is if you have a poor quality job done by your buddy with a dremel in his work shop!!

wilkin250r
03-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Porting will dramatically increase the power, if done right. The only drawback is finding out WHERE you want that power, because you often sacrifice it somewhere else.

Don't be afraid, because that's not an absolute rule, but it's a good general guideline.

A high-rev port job will change the port timing in the cylinder to make more power in the upper RPM range and increase peak horsepower, but you sacrifice low-end power. This sacrifice in low end give you a peaky, hard-hitting powerband that can increase wheelspin and create traction problems on a racetrack, and also makes it difficult to ride in tight terrain. It's best suited for wide-open areas, sand, and high-speed racing like TT, flattrack, and certainly drag racing.

It is absolutely necessary to combine your porting and pipe together. I can't stress that enough. If you plan on keeping your mid-range pipe, you need to also get mid-range porting. A high-rev port job and a low-rev pipe won't give you the best of both worlds, it will give you the WORST of both worlds, and it will just run like crap everywhere, low and high.

jwags13
03-19-2011, 01:00 PM
Yes, im def gonna stay with the mid range pipe and try to find someone to do a mid range port job on my 310 cylinder. Any suggestions on who to send my cylinder to for the port work? Also what about cooling issues,(i have a stock radiator), and any more info on porting in general?

wild250rman
03-19-2011, 02:41 PM
since you are running the ct pipe i would go with the ct porting and Allen was a big contributor to building the pro cross cylinders. i am sure there are more builders that can give you a quality job...

wilkin250r
03-19-2011, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by wild250rman
since you are running the ct pipe i would go with the ct porting

This is probably the best suggestion. There are plenty of builders that will most likely give you a good quality port job and good value for your money, but CT designed that pipe to go with a specific style of porting, and they probably know it best. It's a pretty safe assumption that CT will be able to match their porting to their pipe better than anyone else.

CanuckR
03-21-2011, 08:42 PM
Im going to suggest Neil at C-LEIGH racing. Dont know if he uses this board or not. If not go to trx250r.net and get a hold of him. Does really good work. Will port to the pipe for sure.
Derek

atv fan 28
03-21-2011, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by CanuckR
Im going to suggest Neil at C-LEIGH racing. Dont know if he uses this board or not. If not go to trx250r.net and get a hold of him. Does really good work. Will port to the pipe for sure.
Derek

I agree!! Ol' Neil knows a thing or two when it comes to porting.

86 Quad R
03-22-2011, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by atv fan 28
I agree!! Ol' Neil knows a thing or two when it comes to porting.

i'll have to second that. :cool:

jwags13
03-22-2011, 01:20 PM
C-leigh racing it is then. Do they have a website with a email address or a contact number? Or ill try the trx250r.net website. Thanks for the suggestions!

86 Quad R
03-22-2011, 01:25 PM
contact him through "the other site" you mentioned. he has his own section there. :cool:

DnB_racing
03-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by jwags13
C-leigh racing it is then. Do they have a website with a email address or a contact number? Or ill try the trx250r.net website. Thanks for the suggestions! http://www.superpages.com/bp/Nashville-NC/Pritchards-Lil-Engine-Shop-L0093433688.htm