PDA

View Full Version : Bring back the stock class in neatv

grimm714
03-18-2011, 08:30 AM
Everyone talks about cutting the cost of racing. With gas prices looking to top 5 bucks a gallon this summer which will cut down on the number of races I was planning on going to I think its time to think of ways to cut down on racing costs. Its not like the tracks can afford to cut entry fees or gate fees so why not make a class That people can afford to at least try racing. Back in the late 80's and early 90's(when i raced) they had a class they called the STOCK class. The only things you were allowed to change were handle bars,tires,rims,nerf bars, and put on a tether and you were racing. You could not modify the motor in any way or the suspension either. No axels,a-arms,swingarms, or exhaust either!!! Basically the way you bought it from the showroom is the way you had to run it. No factory supplied hop up kit! Nothing! I remember one kid being DQ'ed for not having his air box cover on.
Wouldn't it be easier to try racing if all you had to do was put a few hundred bucks into your quad rather than a few thousand(and that is on the low side)!!!!!
In its day the stock class was the biggest class at the Saturday night races at Southwick(yes we use to run under the lights on saturday). I ran it in 88 and most of the time we would have anywhere between 35 and 55 riders in that class alone. You always had to qualify for the 20 man main and since ther was a last chance qualifier even if you did't make the main you still raced twice!
Some people will try to rip this idea apart!!!! If you have a better idea i'm all ears!!!!!!!! Don't even say the production class(which last year when i brought my kid to her first race and thought is was the stock classes new name until I looked at the rules) in which you can still modify just about the entire quad anyway.
All i'm trying to do is come up with a class that a middle class family can afford and maybe try to get more people into racing which in the end will do nothing but help our sport!!!!

bbender85
03-18-2011, 09:32 AM
if i'm not mistaken thats exactly what they call their Production class, no?

grimm714
03-18-2011, 09:57 AM
The production class is not a stock class. Stock meaning NO mods whatsoever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

bbender85
03-18-2011, 10:05 AM
i dunno man...

NEATV Rules (http://www.neatv-mx.com/2011/atv/index-4.html)

grimm714
03-18-2011, 10:25 AM
I stand corrected

grimm714
03-18-2011, 10:26 AM
I should have looked at this years rules a little better!!!

bbender85
03-18-2011, 10:29 AM
there ya go, now you can get back into it yourself! :D

i agree tho, i think it's a great idea... costs alot more to have a competitive quad than a bike.

grimm714
03-18-2011, 10:43 AM
your right. I guess the days of 40-50 people showing up for a class is long gone!!!! The two wheel idea is cheaper and I do have one which i race once in a while. Finally got some extra money together and i'm looking for a quad as we speak. That dam prodution class look like full race quads from a distance I will have to check it out a little closer this year!!

Lasher
03-18-2011, 11:07 AM
NEATV is trying it best to make the "production" class a true stock class. It is the manufactures causing the issue.

Ever since Can-Am came out with their "stock" racing quad, all the others really fell short. Not to mention the money Can-Am was putting up made it a no brainer.

How can a stock Honda 450R (with narrow width, bottled up exhaust) compete against a Can-Am? Tough to do.

We will never see from the big 4 and true race ready quad. Some are coming close, width / shocks but EPA regulations are keeping the exhaust all closed up. ATV are not sold for "closed course competion only" but for general use.

Unless you want to chase that "Championship" trohpy at the end of the year, go out and have fun on what ever quad you have. While there not be 40 people in a class, there are tons of classes now to pick from. If anything, I think there are too many classes in the series.

Heck, we have raced my stock suspensed, stock width Banshee at the track, since that was the only quad we had running at the time. Funny, Joe Havisstro asked if it was first time at the races when we in staging because of the Banshee.

beastlywarrior
03-18-2011, 12:43 PM
technically a ktm can be run and would own. i like to support the people who make competitive classes for less expensive quads. like the 400 and under sport class or oom 350 and under

grimm714
03-18-2011, 12:54 PM
So Lasher, If I showed up to race the open class on suzuki LT500 it would turn some heads????? lol

Lasher
03-18-2011, 01:46 PM
grimm714 - Race the 30+ B/C class...we have all kinds of quads in that class.

Most of these kids racing these days have never seen a trx250r let alone a quadzilla.

beastlywarrior - my kid raced the sport 15 class (which is the 400 class) for the last two years on my 250R. Mostly stock bikes in that class which is good. It was a pretty clean class as racing goes, all different skill levels.

But I hear ya on the KTM in production class. They did not pay out as much as Can-Am, and cost more.

grimm714
03-18-2011, 03:09 PM
hey Lasher, I will end up running something this year I just don't know what yet!!! I have put on a few pounds(ok more than a few)since my racing days and need something I can get a holeshot with. I can still go like hell for about a lap and a half so my plan is to holeshot and try to hang on the other 2 and half laps for what i hope would be a decent finish. I guess we shall see sometime this summer!!!!

rollie
03-18-2011, 04:55 PM
i raced production back in 07, it was alot of fun haha

grimm714
03-19-2011, 12:28 PM
rollie, is that the same quad you decided to keep last month??? By the way I liked you picture. That looks like a stock class. I don't know what class I saw at the first walden last year but the guy sitting next to me said it was the production class. Only problem is the quads I was watching looked anything but stock. Going by your pic though it looks fine to me!