PDA

View Full Version : trail machine

deezie
02-16-2003, 09:54 PM
iv been debating back and forth...... what i want from a 4-wheeler is... good power, good acceleration... top end doesnt matter... reverse... reliability...... what i plan on doing to the quad is.... wheel spacers all around.... better rims and tires.... better shocks... full exhaust... air filter modification.... jet kit... race plastic.... plastic skid protectors... and any good engine bolt ons........ and from those mods which bike would turn out to be the better trail bike...... a 1999 Honda 300ex or a 2002 Kawasaki Mojave??...... if i were to guess here i would say that the mojave would be better because its engine is more high tech. it has kick start, and i can get one cheaper.... but im also going to guess that alot of ppl are going to say 300ex b/c this is exriders....... but can i please get a none biast opinion from ppl who really look at which engine would take to these mods better... thanks

CHAUNCY
02-16-2003, 09:59 PM
i own kawi and honda. Im gonna say that the 300 prolly is better because of the size and there are prolly more upgrades available. Doeas a mojave have reverse ???

02-16-2003, 10:03 PM
id get a z 400 if reverse is a issue if not get a 400, those small bores are quickly out grown

CHAUNCY
02-16-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by freeride132
id get a z 400 if reverse is a issue if not get a 400, those small bores are quickly out grown
I would suggest the same thing but when he said 300 or mojave i thought he meant between the 2. 400's are nice because you dont out gow them or atleast I havent.

deezie
02-16-2003, 10:37 PM
well i would get a 400 but i cant afford it.... but between those two..... if those were the only mods i would ever do, (so availability of other mods doesnt matter)...... aslo im 5'10 and im probly not going to be any taller considering i turn 17 in a month..... and iv only ever ridden 300ex's... i really like how 300's feel other than the sound, the looks, and the fact that its an sohc.... are they about the same size?? and considering the mojave is already quicker in a straight line drag and considering mojaves take to mods better than wouldnt the mojave be faster???..... ill keep looking things up as u guys reply

Moded86R
02-16-2003, 11:00 PM
I have only rode one mojave.My cousin has one and it is fairly moded.(cams,high compression piston,ported head,exhaust)

Anyway I used to have a big giant flat track that was basicly a big oval in a feild.That was the only place I rode it.First off all I wasn't to impressed with the power.It revved out quick.Just was expecting more I guess.Second it felt kind of weird.And third I thought I broke my shin trying to start the thing.His is an older one.And while it has been rebuilt it seems to be reliable.

I have a 97 300ex.While of course I am partial to honda's.I really like my 300 even though it's not a 400 it works just fine.

I could really have fun on either machine.I would just choose which one you can get a better deal on.

deezie
02-16-2003, 11:04 PM
does any body know of any mojave websites???

killed300ex
02-17-2003, 04:45 AM
There is a mojave around were i rid and i can get him in a drag race. NOt sure if its cuase rider ability or not but he wont let nayone ride the thing lol. So personanly i would get the 300 might be a lil more expensive but you get the luxury items and really good reliability. The 300 is electric start which i so nice compared to kickstart. Also from what iv seen the 300 has better shocks. So imho id get the 300.
killed

quadman22
02-17-2003, 06:09 AM
alright... i have a mojave. it is a great bike,

mojave has dual overhead cams... 300ex doesn't
mojave has liquid cooling... 300ex doesn't
mojave's engine is more high-tech
the reason i got the mojave is becuase i got a better deal on it. i have ridden both alot and i will tell u this, the mojave has more low-end and has more bottom end snap. but the 300ex will beat the mojave in the top-end. and lastly, u can get mojave's for cheaper but all in all, they are both great bikes but i would get another mojave before i got a 300ex. if u have any questions just ask me... BTW i have a 2001 mojave for sale, $3000 excellent condition. i can give u pics if u want them

quadman22
02-17-2003, 06:12 AM
oh yeah... u said that u liked the fact that the 300ex has a single overhead cam, why do u like that better???? all the new bikes have dual overhead cams.

deezie
02-17-2003, 04:48 PM
i said i dont like how it has sohc.... which bike has more room??..... and still wondering about the mojave website thing

quadman22
02-17-2003, 05:06 PM
from personal experience i would say that have about the same amount of room. im 6ft. tall and i don't feel cramped on either. here is a good kawasaki forum.... atv connection (http://forums.atvconnection.com/categories.cfm?catid=9&zb=9184295)

ltz400/400ex
02-17-2003, 06:26 PM
I have owned a mojave and have not ridden a 300ex. Here is what i can say about the mojave. For its price, i think it is awesome. I am a pretty big guy and thought the suspension was quite harsh sometimes. The handling is just really good. It just seems like you point it and go. The power of the engine is good. It is liquid cooled so it has an advantage over the 300 on those hot days. Our mojave did not have any mods on it so i can't say how it reacts to them. I would pick the mojave over the 300. IMO. Everyone views all brands different and like something better than the other. Either choice you make you will be happy. It don't matter what you are on atv's are just awesome.

DGR Designs
02-17-2003, 06:52 PM
theres a guy onm here with a mojave that will probley smoke some 400s out there. 330FST engine. his username is lurch i believe they did an article on it in atv sport i do believe correct me of im wrong

toby400ex
02-17-2003, 07:41 PM
the dohc engine in that thing doesnt make it any better than a sohc 300ex, ive ridden a mojave a few times and they are funky:huh

400exrules
02-17-2003, 09:29 PM
three double 0 EX