PDA

View Full Version : MX Advice

BoneStockHonda
03-16-2011, 08:43 PM
My entire life I've always wanted to race quads and never had the opportunity to do so. I'm really set on doing it but I need some help from you guys. I work 35 hours a week at minimum wage and I'm a senior in high school. I pay for car insurance, gas, and car payments. I curently have a 400ex but really want to get into the 450 game and start racing. I rode Honda's all my life so I'm leaning towards 450R's obviously. I'm obviously on a budget so this is where I need advice. What's the best way for me to go about building a good reliable mx quad. I have a year to build the quad before I can race (due to an injury) so I'm not in much of hurry I just need help on where to start. I don't really want to get into motor internals due to cost and you can't beat stock reliability. So where to start? I know I'll at least need different suspension or at least a stock revlave, a arms, etc. Basically just what do I need to build a competitive C class 450. Thanks for your help!
-Matt

tjsdaname
03-16-2011, 09:02 PM
you must have nerf bars and a tether killswitch to race.

the rest of the stuff im about to say is my opinion. But I think it's the best way to do it.

first mod should always be a pipe, motoworks, DASA, sparks....

then you need to get the quad out to a 50" width, (A-arms and axle) and buy tires 18 inch rear and 19-20 inch fronts

then it's time for shocks, motowoz are best fox is a close second.

after all that stuff is done you should focus on getting more power.

DnB_racing
03-16-2011, 09:17 PM
you can put as many mods as you want on but without seat time it wont matter!! dont take so long building it that you dont leave plenty of time to get really good at knowing your quad!!

nothing added will make any difference without someone on it that can use what you have, just put on whats required, and ride till your tires fall off, then worry about building a beast

mxracer39
03-17-2011, 05:35 AM
I agree with Dnb-racing. When I started racing, I had a stock YFZ, I put 18" rear and 20" front tires on it and raced it. Stock pipe, stock suspension, stock everything and won 7 races that season. Ride as much as you can. In my opinion, the first major purchase would be suspension. 50" width is good, but not necessary when starting out. I'd probably just get something less expensive for suspension, like Works just to get started. See how you like it and how you do, and build your quad up as your experience grows.

450rbigcal67
03-17-2011, 06:29 AM
personally I would buy a quad with most of the mods on it already, it will save you a **** ton of money and you will be able to race sooner.

BoneStockHonda
03-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Yeah I was looking at some used race quads on here after i posted this and can't believe how cheap they are for the amount of money put into them. I don't know if it's the fact that they're beat on or what. And I know where your coming from with the seat time but I fractured my C7 vertebrae in January so I can't ride till Jan. 2012 anyways. I think I'm going to sell my 400 now and save the money. Then when winter comes around pick up a used MXer. I'm trying to avoid something with a built motor due to the fact that I don't know if it was put together right and nothing beats stock reliablility. I'm fine with an exhaust and intake but not so fond of different internals. Thanks alot guys!

250xridamatt
03-22-2011, 09:50 PM
Definitely go for a used mx 450r. For $1000 - $1500 more than a stock 450r, you can buy one with long-travel suspension, light motor mods, exhaust, nerf-bars, and everything else you will want when you start racing.

It is nice to be able to put every exact part you want on a quad, but there are so many used 450r's for sale right now that you have a lot of options. I bought my 05 450r completely built and ready to race 4 or 5 years ago for only $5500 and it didn't have a single race on it.

It's very possible to find nice, cheap, used, race quads right now.

Lasher
03-23-2011, 12:32 PM
If you have a year, buy a used race quad with parts on it that you would want to run. Especially suspension.

Take the year to tear apart the motor and change all bearings/seals and any mods you want.

Send the shocks out to be revalved for your weight/set up.

Change bearings/bushings on the chassis.

Racing on a tight budget is tough. But the worst thing is the need to replace parts during the season. If you spend the year getting everything all set, you only need to worry about getting to the races.

Oh...when doing motor mods, keep in mind that race fuel (for high compression motors) is very expensive.

smurf450
03-23-2011, 03:44 PM
First step after you buy the bike is put suspension on it. My buddy runs pro am nationals and he's came to some of our races and ran in the pro class there and killed the competition on one of his practice bikes bone stock just with suspension. But in all suspension and motor work is all good but you need seat time because motocross takes skill. But I'd say start with suspension then go to other mods.

BlaineKaiser450
03-23-2011, 05:18 PM
Yeah definatly get a used one. There are many that are fully built for good prices. When I got out of riding, I had this 450r on the market for 5 grand with everything recently rebuilt, and couldn't even find anyone to buy it.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t227/BlaineKaiser450/Picture002-3.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t227/BlaineKaiser450/Picture006-3.jpg

DnB_racing
03-23-2011, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450
Yeah definatly get a used one. There are many that are fully built for good prices. When I got out of riding, I had this 450r on the market for 5 grand with everything recently rebuilt, and couldn't even find anyone to buy it.

didnt you end up parting that??? too bad it was a sweet quad! anything left of it at all?

BlaineKaiser450
03-23-2011, 05:27 PM
Yeah I parted it and Ive acctually made 8, almost 9 grand on it which is awesome. This is what it became, a 440 for my dads plymouth, the only thing stock is the block

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t227/BlaineKaiser450/440.jpg

Ive got the frame, a set of Rath nerfs in good shape, the radiator, and some stock parts here and there haha

DnB_racing
03-23-2011, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450
Yeah I parted it and Ive acctually made 8, almost 9 grand on it which is awesome. This is what it became, a 440 for my dads plymouth, the only thing stock is the block

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t227/BlaineKaiser450/440.jpg

Ive got the frame, a set of Rath nerfs in good shape, the radiator, and some stock parts here and there haha I like how it turned out! the 440 is my all time favorite motor, thats what I had in my 1970 rt/se challenger