PDA

View Full Version : Suspension set up

20Honda400ex00
03-16-2011, 08:14 PM
I just got +2 arms and need help setting the suspension up right. Ive read a couple post about this but still seem lost on it. I dont know if im just over thinking it or what.

What is the best way to measure the camber so it matches both sides also toe in and toe out.

With the tie rods what the best way to put them on and should one have more threads showing than the other or would that not matter?

Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

dustin_j
03-17-2011, 07:11 AM
Be sure to thread your lower ball joints in so that the length of each lower a-arm (pivot to ball joint) is the same length. This length may change depending on desired width and camber settings. Make sure you have complete thread engagement with your lock nut. Install a-arms and spindles, tires, etc.

Be sure you have a level floor or work surface and properly aired up tires. With tie rods, the length is what matters (from center of tie rod end to center of tie rod end). Try to get equal thread engagement in each tie rod end (note that one end of a tie rod is RH thread and the other is LH). If your arms are castor adjustable, set this first. Then set camber; you can use a carpenter's square. Then set toe; make sure you don't toe out anywhere in your travel. Now check your settings again because they probably changed during adjustment. Repeat until settings are correct. Hope this helps.

20Honda400ex00
03-17-2011, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by dustin_j
Be sure to thread your lower ball joints in so that the length of each lower a-arm (pivot to ball joint) is the same length. This length may change depending on desired width and camber settings. Make sure you have complete thread engagement with your lock nut. Install a-arms and spindles, tires, etc.

Be sure you have a level floor or work surface and properly aired up tires. With tie rods, the length is what matters (from center of tie rod end to center of tie rod end). Try to get equal thread engagement in each tie rod end (note that one end of a tie rod is RH thread and the other is LH). If your arms are castor adjustable, set this first. Then set camber; you can use a carpenter's square. Then set toe; make sure you don't toe out anywhere in your travel. Now check your settings again because they probably changed during adjustment. Repeat until settings are correct. Hope this helps.

I dont think the lower ball joint can be adjusted with set I bought (ishock 3500)

Yes that dose help going to try to get it done tonight so this weekend I can go ridding

JoePA
03-17-2011, 09:25 PM
THIS IS FROM WALSH RACECRAFT OLD WEBSITE!

The following instructions are guidelines really, we recommend that each individual 'fine-tunes' their front end alignment (following this same procedure) after riding the quad, after following these set-up instructions.

You must have the ATV on level ground, lock the front brake (preferably with a Walsh Race Craft front brake strap) be sure that the tire pressure is set properly and take the front bumper off, before you move on to making any more adjustments.

RIDE HEIGHT
Setting the ride height is very important in order to be sure that your ATV is level from the get-go, start by placing your second person on the ATV with the bars straight in the center, settle the front end by kneeling on the bumper mount with about 50-100 lbs of down force. Then steer the handle bars from the extreme left to the extreme right and back to center. Take the weight off the bumper mount, then steer it once more to the extreme right and back to center.
To determine the ride height for the rear end measure from directly in front of the foot peg at the chassis down to the floor. To determine the ride height for the front end measure from directly at the forward most area of the chassis where it is still flat, behind the lower a-arm mount.
Rear ride height should be anywhere from 6.5” - 7.25”.
Front ride height should be anywhere from the same as the rear to 1/2” higher. Now you can take your person off the ATV.

CASTER
First step for adjusting the caster is to turn the handle bars to the extreme left to fully expose the ball joints and place your ‘framing’ square flat to the ground and set it up to the edge of the lower ball joint cup. Now utilize your ruler and measure from the edge of the ball joint cup to the outside edge of your square, do this on the lower and upper a-arm. The way to mathematically determine the caster measurement is to subtract the lower measurement from the upper measurement, you should end up with about 1”, your measurement should be between .75” / 1.125”.

CAMBER
When you are adjusting the camber BE SURE to make the same amount of turns to both hiem joints so that you will not change the caster. To measure the camber you will need to align the wheels straight, use a line on the floor or something to judge from that the wheels are truly straight. Then take your ‘framing’ square flat to the ground and set it up to the outside of the tire and measure the distance from the edge of the square and the sidewall of the tire. Ideally this should measure between 0 and 3/4”.

TOE-IN
Please note that in this procedure you will need to be sure that whatever you do to the right side also do to the left side. Now take your tie straps and connect from the handle bar grip to the rear grab bar and the same to the other side, this will keep your wheels where you want them to be, measure like in the picture to make sure that they are the same on each side. Place your second person on the ATV again. Find the center of the front tire and with your sharpie mark the center of the tire on the sidewall. Now you will need to make sure that the front wheels are even with each other before you adjust the toe-in and you do this by measuring from the center of the tire to the opposite lower front bumper mount. NOTE you will be going from the front of the front tires to the back of the front tires numerous times. With the tape measure set it across the front of the 2 front tires at the sidewall, do the same to the back side of the front tires and subtract the 2 numbers the difference between the 2 will determine your toe-in. Be sure to verify that the original X measurement is the same as when you first set it, if not you will need to even these settings again.

400exrider707
03-18-2011, 07:16 AM
You can read the sticky at the top of the page too! :cool:

JoePA
03-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Yes. Read up as much as you can on the subject. The more you know about how your quad works the better off you are. Read the sticky up top then go out and set that quad up.

I set my brothers race YFZ that way and we ran some hot laps today...EXCELLENT! It never huts to ask questions cuz by all means I ask my fair share!! But also do as much research as possible. you'd be amazed at how much is out there!

Good luck with your suspension!