PDA

View Full Version : 400ex idles but no throttle

thmike
03-16-2011, 06:32 PM
I just got a 400ex for my wife a few weeks ago.It ran great but we had a short in the wiring harness and had to replace the wiring harness and start button.
Well since I had the quad all apart I cleaned the carb and filter. Has no air box and k&N filter with prefilter and someone at a machine shop made the slip on thats on it

Well anyways I got the quad running but now the quad won't run past idle. The choke has been deleted. 150 main. I forgot to look at the pilot on the number size. But I think it has dirt in the pilot. I had to back out the a/f screw almost 5 turns to get it to rev past idle and it would pop a little bit. I plan on getting a bigger main jet and find out what size of pilot jet it has. I had the fuel tank on reserve so i think i have some more dirt in the carb from the tank again.
What jetting should i be at with slip on and no air box for sea level. And also does this sound like its the pilot jet clogged?

AtvKid4Eva
03-17-2011, 09:32 AM
Yep, take the carb apart and spray air through the pilot jet and main while you have it apart. If you cant see light through the pilot jet its clogged.

Stark
03-17-2011, 09:37 AM
I've got a 08 400ex.. On my second ride, i had the same problem. Idle, but no throttle. Happened after I hit a little jump.

Took the carb off and thought my main got clogged or something, but it turned out that my jet needle came unscrewed from the slider! both screws were just sitting there on top of the slider plate! I put them back in, and it worked!

I was really kinda mad at Honda. I bought this bike off of the showroom floor, and the second time I rode it, this happened. But, oh well. :)

Just sounded like the problem I had.

Later,

Stark

thmike
03-17-2011, 12:59 PM
I will take the carb apart later today. I just had it apart yesterday and put it back together and it didn't run right. I'm sure with the reserve on its sucking crap from the tank. I'm going to pick up some carb cleaner and get it fixed today. I'll look at the needle too