PDA

View Full Version : Cut trans for drag racing

CHAUNCY
02-16-2003, 09:03 PM
I want to know how transmissions are cut in order to not use the clutch while drag racing. Pics would help if you have them.

flea49
02-16-2003, 09:54 PM
Yes i am wanting to know the same thing, And help would be appreciated.

AndrewRRR
02-17-2003, 03:16 PM
Override transmissions are kind of mysterious to most people. I don't know of a whole lot of shops that do their own.
If you have a drag bike it's not a bad idea, but I wouldn't do it for a bike you ride anywhere else. I believe on the override trannys you have to pull in the clutch if you let off the gas. If you don't it will destroy your transmission or motor or both.
It would be intesting to learn about how exactly they do make them. Anybody know?

Todd
02-17-2003, 03:36 PM
race cutting your transmission is actually cutting the gear dogs on the sides of the gears there should be four on each gear they come from the factory slightly rounded what you are doing is cutting the dogs at a little bit steeper of an angle with sharper edges giving them a wider mating area and the angle makes a more positve engagement it sort of looks like a dove tail joint. i would check with your local performance motorcycle shop. you dont really have to use your clutch now just back off the gas when you get ready to shift but use the clutch when downshifting or you will have bent shift forks. as far as clutchless full throttle upshifts you need an airshifter it kills the motor electronically through your coils while a ram shifts to the next gear, same theroy as letting off the gas and shifting only ALOT quicker, killing the engine or letting off the gas takes pressure off your trans. letting it go into gear with out tearing s@$# up.
okay i will shut up now
todd