PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Frame

hsr
02-16-2003, 08:45 PM
has anyone ever experienced a cracked frame? is welding the crack be a strong enough reinforcement? some people say that after they crack they are no good anymore, im talking a hairline crack ( very thin ) on the left side down by the shifter on my 300ex?

:devil :devil :devil

Woz
02-17-2003, 12:35 AM
Frames are cracked and welded over and over again by many racers. It's best go get to it as soon as possible, but usually a good weld will make the area as strong or stronger than before the crack.

It does seem though that if you are riding hard enough to see one crack, there may be more.

Moded86R
02-17-2003, 12:46 AM
I was told the proper way to weld a cracked frame.Is to grind a bigger groove in the same spot as the crack.and fill in the groove.This makes the weld a more integral part of the frame.

Does this make since.Yes I believe frames can be repaired by welding.I used to work in a sheetmetal shop and they did some good repairs on things that held up alot of weight.

QuadTrix6
02-17-2003, 05:16 AM
how big was the jump that cracked the frame ?

dhines
02-17-2003, 06:49 AM
Talk to the guys at the Quad Shop. They can fix the crack and gusset up your entire frame to help prevent more problems. I've already had them do one frame for me and I have another one ready to go. They do very nice work.

Sparks425Ex
02-17-2003, 08:16 AM
I had 7 cracks in my frame that I found this winter. If they are welded properly then you gusset your frame(I did as well) your frame will hold up just fine.

Do Not Over Gusset...Your Frame does need to Flex.

DEAL
02-17-2003, 09:45 AM
my old 300ex frame cracked in the same place, My front motor mounts used to crack alot too, I cracked them like 2 or 3 times.
I welded my frame once, it cracked again so eventually i took the motor out and got it welded right and it held up pretty good.

02-17-2003, 06:27 PM
:devil Green highlights show gussetts made by TQS.... :D