lol
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b262/southernkrawlers/IMAG0027.jpg
this is where they ended up
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b262/southernkrawlers/IMAG0030.jpg
Hinson Bullet proof basket not so bullet proof
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b262/southernkrawlers/IMAG0028.jpg
took the clutch out to,
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b262/southernkrawlers/IMAG0029.jpg

This pissed me off. Now I still have to split the cases and see the damage in there.

Honda 250r 001
03-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Ahhh you had me ther for a second! :)

Ouch! that sucks, looks like the gear wasnt beveled like hinson reccommends! Basket is toast!

86 Quad R
03-15-2011, 09:20 AM
from where i sit. it appears that your engine is well over due for a "going through". the basket is terribly grooved and it also appears that the tolerances on the counter balancer and crank gears are way slack. why i dunno. ......... crank bearings slack, counter balancer worn ect ect.

DnB_racing
03-15-2011, 09:48 AM
just put them in some milk and put them back in ....lol

ceaserthethird
03-15-2011, 03:54 PM
The gear that has Missing teeth looks like was grinding on the Back of the HINSON Clutch Basket, Does anyone Agree ? ? ?

Explanation of what happen ?

machwon
03-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Had a hinson or other brand that came in my shop last month that looked the same. I wondered about the beveled edge not being there. I just moved the basket and gears out with a couple of shim washers. Then cleaned up the mess of shavings. So much for good ole made in america?

mx91a
03-15-2011, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by ceaserthethird
The gear that has Missing teeth looks like was grinding on the Back of the HINSON Clutch Basket, Does anyone Agree ? ? ?

Explanation of what happen ?

Yes it looks like the clutch basket gear and the drive gear on the crank were severely misaligned.

FL-R
03-15-2011, 08:04 PM
No there wasnt a problem with the basket, Ive been running this set up for almost 3 years, the Balancer bearing went out, then the rest went down hill when I had to ride it back to the truck.

Pumashine
03-15-2011, 09:54 PM
[
Originally posted by FL-R
No there wasnt a problem with the basket, Ive been running this set up for almost 3 years, the Balancer bearing went out, then the rest went down hill when I had to ride it back to the truck.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Everyone was noticing the gouges on the back of the Hinson basket. To you it might be all right. But why do you think your CB bearing went out? For 3 years you have had aluminum grit it your tranny.

When installing a Hinson basket you want to bevel the gear so it does not chew up the back of your clutch basket. When the aluminum is chewed up like that it gets into all bearings causing premature wear. One your bearings are gone then all heck breaks loose as shown in your pics.

If you need any replacement gears or have trouble finding them, I have a few extra laying around.

redred55
03-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Pumashine
[

Thanks for posting the pics.

Everyone was noticing the gouges on the back of the Hinson basket. To you it might be all right. But why do you think your CB bearing went out? For 3 years you have had aluminum grit it your tranny.

When installing a Hinson basket you want to bevel the gear so it does not chew up the back of your clutch basket. When the aluminum is chewed up like that it gets into all bearings causing premature wear. One your bearings are gone then all heck breaks loose as shown in your pics.

If you need any replacement gears or have trouble finding them, I have a few extra laying around.

X2-well said T!

atvmxr
03-15-2011, 10:36 PM
i forget, what is it - the 88-89 crank gear is beveled and the 86-87 is not or the other way around? I definately recall this in the instructions for the hinson setup - to make sure to use the OEM beveled gear or machine down the other years gear that doesnt come bevelled OEM.

:o

FL-R
03-17-2011, 04:20 PM
I dont know what year the basket was for, The previous owner bought it and installed it, But Ive had the cases split last year to install a new Honda crank, bearings, and all new top end, Everything was fine. But I was informed that a sign of the balancer going out is leaking coming from the case halfs just below the exh pipe on the jug, Is this true. Cause it was leaking but got the info to late. O well. And I dont know if this helped any but I this was my first ride after a Bad crash on near concrete hard clay, It tore my Aftermarket arms in peices thats how hard the ground was, So that hit prob didnt help.

FL-R
03-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Oh and this is a 86 bottom end, Anyway of telling what the basket was designed for. And I change my oil after every ride and I allways check it to see if any shavings. This isnt my first bike or R :D

JohnBeton
03-17-2011, 04:41 PM
is it possible you missaligned the balancer... ?
If I look at the picture, it seems like the alignmentdot of the balancer is in the lower right corner of the picture ...

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b262/southernkrawlers/IMAG0027.jpg

DnB_racing
03-17-2011, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by JohnBeton
is it possible you missaligned the balancer... ?
If I look at the picture, it seems like the alignmentdot of the balancer is in the lower right corner of the picture ...

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b262/southernkrawlers/IMAG0027.jpg chances are that its been slipping over the broken teeth

FL-R
03-19-2011, 08:46 PM
lol, Yeah i doubt anything is lined up anymore.

250rPRIDE
03-27-2011, 08:24 AM
so what years had to have the gear taper work done?
i got a hinson basket on my 88 and i dont want this to happen, i was not awear that i had to grind anything, since i had no instructions with my basket..
please let me know if i have to do this and specific instruction would be much appriciated
thanks

Honda 250r 001
03-27-2011, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by 250rPRIDE
so what years had to have the gear taper work done?
i got a hinson basket on my 88 and i dont want this to happen, i was not awear that i had to grind anything, since i had no instructions with my basket..
please let me know if i have to do this and specific instruction would be much appriciated
thanks

You have to run a beveled gear with a hinson basket, no matter which year basket or gear. (although as previously stated, i think the 88-89's are already beveled). The hinsons are thicker in that area and need more space. If your gear is not beveled, you need to bevel it for that hinson basket.