PDA

View Full Version : Does not like to run till it's 100% warmed up...

NMills
03-14-2011, 08:15 PM
Well... this bums me out.. i've have my wheeler for a bit over a year... jetted it last spring... ran good... now that cold weather has been showing it's face for quite a while now... It's a bit hard to get my engine to stay running... Choke it.. starts... then dies... you need to keep on the throttle for a bit... I think my setting are... 175 Main.. 3 clip on the needle... and 2.5 turn on the air mixture screw... everything else is stock... is there anything else i can do to it to make this a little easier in the cold??? thanks guys..

crownandmonster
03-14-2011, 08:42 PM
Go bigger on the pilot jet, it will help some.

NMills
03-14-2011, 08:53 PM
What's stock??? do the Pilot jets come with the jet kit? i know i have a ton of jets that i did not need or consider... they different???

CJM
03-14-2011, 08:57 PM
42 pilot jet, stocks 38. Pilot jets do come with rebuild kits usually but its a stock size.

www.jetsrus.com sells the one you need.

NMills
03-14-2011, 09:03 PM
So just a 42? now just in case that does not work... what would you suggest for a second pick? bigger or smaller??

CJM
03-14-2011, 09:06 PM
It will work, if anything it will be a tad rich at idle. You dont want to go any higher as it will be way to rich at idle

I put mine to half choke, crank the throttle 2x and it turns over, 30 secs later I can shut the choke off and it idle.

Your awfully rich btw if your running a 175 main-even for a dynojet, do you have any engine mods? Normal setting is 170 main keihin jet even for a 416. if it tells you anything, I tried the DJ out and finally chucked them cause no matter what I did they wouldnt work right for me.

hocman123
03-14-2011, 09:09 PM
if all u have is a exhaust system and no other work done to the engine like bigger bore or high compression u might just need a 40 i would get both there are only a few bucks and u will be covered

NMills
03-14-2011, 09:12 PM
I put the 175 in.. figured i'd start there... i had a DG head pipe... WB R4 slip on.. opened air box.... it was just a starting point... but since it seemed to run great and keep up with the other 400's i run with i did not see a need to change it... it was just the cold weather starting that i was having a problem with... i'll have to swap the pilots out and see what it does...

crownandmonster
03-14-2011, 09:15 PM
I know a lot of guys just recommend a 42, but I always say go with the 40 if you are on a stock or close to stock bore.

CJM
03-14-2011, 09:26 PM
I would say 1. 40 pilot since you have a stock motor, 2. remove the plug and look at it-its probably rich, the electrode in the plug should be a brownish color. To rich wont kill the engine like to lean thankfully tho.

Im close to sea level and with a fully worked 416, open airbox, exhaust and all and Im running a 170 keihin main myself.

NMills
03-14-2011, 09:30 PM
For a main... what would you reccomend??? i can try a different one... and if it does'nt work then i can try others... i have them... just never bothered with them... and i'm not sure of my Sea Level... i know i don't live on a mountain... and i'm not in a valley... so i'm not too far off...

CJM
03-14-2011, 09:41 PM
What brand of jets are you using? Genuine keihin jets are the best imho for these carbs.

I would say a 165 is closer to what you need, maybe 160 or 158. Im shocked your running a 175 ok. Like I said pull the plug and report back what color the electrode is

Heres a handy chart, note these elevations are only 1500ft above sea level. Higher elevation means more dense air which means leaner jetting usually as well. http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=445695&highlight=jetting+placement

To find out what sea level your at just google your town wikipedia has a page on your town and it will have the elevation.

NMills
03-14-2011, 09:44 PM
I'll have to add that to tomorrows to do list... along with putting my toy back together from the other stuff that was just done to it.... hopefully i'll remember...