PDA

View Full Version : starting problems

farmer250r
03-14-2011, 07:55 PM
i have a 06er,the motor doesnt want to spin as fast as it should,i put a new baterry in it-nothing,i re-udjusted the timing chain tensioner-nothing,the motor doesnt want to spin as fast as it sould,so it doesnt want to start,im kinda stumped on this,so??? if anyone has any info that will help,please do,im kinda on a deadline,i realy need the bike to be runing buy the 26th.so please help.

DnB_racing
03-14-2011, 08:20 PM
this is just how mine acted when my starter clutch was going bad.... no noises!!! just the motor wasn't turning over fast enough...

It took me 2 months of push starting because everyone told me that I would here some noise from it slipping... I tried everything... then I said what do I have to loose Ill change my starter clutch and that was it!!
I cant promise that yours is the same but something to keep in mind

Scro
03-14-2011, 08:33 PM
Check your decompression setting. That could cause it to crank slower.

farmer250r
03-16-2011, 05:25 AM
well it isnt slipping,i can put it in gear and hold the brake and it wont slip,the decompression arm was just adjusted because did my valve adjustment too,im still stumped on this one,i wish i wouldnt have sold my 250r for this one:grr:

DnB_racing
03-16-2011, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by farmer250r
well it isnt slipping,i can put it in gear and hold the brake and it wont slip,the decompression arm was just adjusted because did my valve adjustment too,im still stumped on this one,i wish i wouldnt have sold my 250r for this one:grr: what isn't slipping??? your clutch??or your starter clutch? you cant check your starter clutch by holding your brake!!! you have to take it apart and mic all the parts

and at what adjustment is your valve adjusted to.. sometimes its a good idea to also adjust your decompressor by checking your cranking compression if the compression is above 65 psi it might be working the starter to hard

on your first post you said you readjusted your cam chain tension adjuster????????how did you do this? the adjuster is automatic when putting back into quad it must be backed out and held with no tension and released to let the spring do the adjusting ... if the chain is to tight you will create many problems, one of them being starting and another is damage!!

I have both a 450 and a 250 and I like the 450 better.for power and just the ride itself a much more powerful and user friendly bike all around... Honda has made it the easiest 450 to work on above all other brands..... try working on a Kawasaki or Suzuki and you will really miss your 250!!

farmer250r
03-16-2011, 06:30 AM
well my dad said if i started it in gear and held the brake it would slip,but i didnt?
the valves we just adjusted...and the decompresor was too...
i doubt it has over 65 lbs of compreesion,last time i checked it it was like 60.
and the timing chain tennsioner was adjusted,u have to put a screw driver into the center hole and spin it clockwise to get it to pull back so i doesnt push aginst the cam guides.
but back on topic here,so i should just pull it apart and take a look at it,what would be a sign of wear?

DnB_racing
03-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by farmer250r
well my dad said if i started it in gear and held the brake it would slip,but i didnt?
the valves we just adjusted...and the decompresor was too...
i doubt it has over 65 lbs of compreesion,last time i checked it it was like 60.
and the timing chain tennsioner was adjusted,u have to put a screw driver into the center hole and spin it clockwise to get it to pull back so i doesnt push aginst the cam guides.
but back on topic here,so i should just pull it apart and take a look at it,what would be a sign of wear? do you have a service manual to check specs with??you cant see the wear that much its a tiny amount that's the difference between good and bad, unless its blown out witch it doesnt sound like it is!! but I wouldn't jump right into that just yet I would check your compression first to make sure!!

does it give you a hard time starting every time you try to start or is it when hot or cold, any other info you have??
how does it run when you do get it running and have you checked your oil to make sure there isnt any metal in it?

eastside 400
03-16-2011, 07:10 PM
the starter clutch might have siezed up, i just built a motor for a friend and used the supplied starter clutch that looked fine, put the motor in and went to start and it spun a little slower but wouldnt start, went to turn the motor over by hand through the inspection plug and it was turning the starter both ways, put another starter clutch in and all was good. i would check there, just spin the gear behind the inspection plug like you are putting at TDC, i believe clockwise should spin normal and counterclockwise will spin the starter, you will know this by the gear grinding type sound. if it spins the starter both ways then it locked up the starter clutch

farmer250r
03-17-2011, 07:27 PM
okay so i re-adjusted the decom-arm,that was it.it will pull start,but just dont fire over with the starter,spins alot faster now,but just wont fire over.i think the jetting is off? because when i do run it,it seems like its way rich,and wont idle right,then when i had it at idle for awhile the header would glow red,bad, anyone ones opion would be great

DnB_racing
03-17-2011, 07:36 PM
did you leave any fuel in the carb over the winter??and is there new gas in it now,

was any other work done? did you remove the head or timing chain?? if carb and gas is good it sounds like it might be out of time

farmer250r
03-19-2011, 12:45 AM
timing is dead on.100%

DnB_racing
03-19-2011, 07:57 AM
any info that would help to narrow it down?

like, did it run fine before storing, or did you just get the quad and it always had an issue,
or was there any work done, like intake, or top end, head work??

anything that might be relevant, as to why its doing this?

there must be some info on when it started to happen, and whats been done already..
the usual easy fixes it sounds like you have already tried!!

we will probably need all details now to help this problem!!!it doesnt sound like a quick fix is going to do this one

Do you have a service manual, to help with the specs?

farmer250r
03-19-2011, 11:04 AM
bought it from a friend in december,he told me it needed a piston/rings.so i pulled it apart,with the manuel,and the piston and rings looked great,bore looked great,but there was no compression,looked at my valves,they looked good,when i adjusted the valves the comperssion came back.when i adjusted the decomp-arm,the motor would turn over faster,as of now.the quad will run,run good,except some spuddering,and backfiring.but it wouldnt start on the starter its self.

DnB_racing
03-19-2011, 11:33 AM
when you adjusted valves, how far off were they??
the reason i ask is the only reason that the valves need adjusting in the first place is something is getting worn!!

it could be you need a vale job... if you have access to a leak down tester it will answer all doubts about valve train