PDA

View Full Version : I submerged my atv-help

SnotMe80
02-16-2003, 07:30 PM
last week at the badlands i cracked the ice and my 300ex sank-it was totally under water but it was not running. i pulled it out and drained the oil right then and their-took it home and changed the oil again-took spark plug out and got water out of cylinder and pipe-cleaned air filter and air box-anyways i got it running and it spits and sputters so i have the gas tank out of it now so that should fix that problem but i have changed the oil now 6 times in the last week and it is still coming out slightly milky-what can i do to get the water out? thanks

anything else i should do?

02-16-2003, 07:32 PM
the best advice i can give is change everything out again and again. gas, oil, air filter, oil filter, spark plug, and check all electrical and wd 40 it since it was under water. good luck

jaspurx
02-16-2003, 07:37 PM
tear the carb apart , it`s small , but holds a lot of water , and will never be cleaned out till you tear it apart. the head may have gotten water trapped between the head and the valve cover. this will also take forever to drain!pull the valve cover and check it. also did you flush the oil lines with air? careful not to blow the oil cooler! keep this up till the oil comes out clean. good luck!

trailburner
02-16-2003, 07:48 PM
I did this to one of my quads before too,what i did was basically what your doing,I ran the motor for about 10min and then drained it [about 5 times] & mine was still a little milky...
so then what i did was take the quad for [LITTLE] rides about 20min [change oil]& eventually the milky oil started to go away, it takes some time,but whatever you do don't run the motor hard untill you get all the water out...good luck!! ps: when you start getting good looking oil change your oil filter.....

300exazzkikr
02-16-2003, 10:09 PM
keep changeing the oil into the milky white goes away and take the gas tank off and drain it, rip the carb off and drain all that out and let it dry. I would even put some dry gas in the tank. Good luck.

oynot400
02-17-2003, 08:24 AM
Here is what I done that works pretty well.
Drain the oil the best you can.
Fill the crank case with diesel fuel, NOT GASOLINE!
Crank the engine over, but DO NOT START! Then drain, and repeat.
Fill with a cheap oil and change the filter. Start the engine and let it run for a few minutes. Then drain, note the oil. Is it still milky? If so repeat.
Fill with your good oil and run for a couple of hours. Change the oil again.
I have done this with mine a couple of times on my Rancher and once with my 400.
Good Luck. :)