PDA

View Full Version : Motor Help ??

liljhall09
03-14-2011, 10:56 AM
Ok i sold my 400ex about 2 years ago and the kid called me and said it was smoking and he thinks there is gas getting into the oil. I figured this could be a couple of things. Maybe the carb bleeding off , a bad seal or gasket somewhere , or maybe just needs new top end ? Can anyone help me out here or has anyone had this problem. If this is an easy fix, I plan on buying the quad back

http://i54.tinypic.com/357gcvo.jpg

trailrider894
03-14-2011, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by liljhall09
Ok i sold my 400ex about 2 years ago and the kid called me and said it was smoking and he thinks there is gas getting into the oil. I figured this could be a couple of things. Maybe the carb bleeding off , a bad seal or gasket somewhere , or maybe just needs new top end ? Can anyone help me out here or has anyone had this problem. If this is an easy fix, I plan on buying the quad back

http://i54.tinypic.com/357gcvo.jpg

What color is the smoke?? It could be the Piston Rings, or Valve Seals.

liljhall09
03-14-2011, 11:25 AM
im not positive yet , im going to pickup the quad in about an hour , im guessing its white smoke

trailrider894
03-14-2011, 11:29 AM
im not positive yet , im going to pickup the quad in about an hour , im guessing its white smoke

Just PM me or post back when you get it. We'll get you fixed up.

liljhall09
03-14-2011, 11:41 AM
ok , i knw the quad had a 426 in it then we ended up putting a stock cylinder and head on it because it was too fast for the kid , so it could be the valves

CJM
03-14-2011, 01:52 PM
-smoke all the time nomatter the color (blue is hard to tell sometimes) is rings
-smoke at startup till it warms up is valve seals
-smoke when you first start it thats white and smells like gas means its to rich.

liljhall09
03-14-2011, 03:39 PM
^ thanks man , i just cleaned it up and havent got to start it yet , i will tell u guys the info when i fire it up

liljhall09
03-15-2011, 01:24 PM
i knw we went from a curtis sparks exhaust to a stock exhaust and he put the airbox lid back on without jetting the bike , could this cause the smoke ?

trailrider894
03-15-2011, 01:29 PM
i knw we went from a curtis sparks exhaust to a stock exhaust and he put the airbox lid back on without jetting the bike , could this cause the smoke ?

YES!!! It would change the air flow. There would be to much fuel for he air. So you would need to change your jetting to more lean. That should help it out.

liljhall09
03-16-2011, 02:16 PM
well im gonna take the stock exhaust off and put the curtis sparks back on , also put a clean uni on it and take the airbox lid off and see what happens, also changing the oil , filter and plug tnight

liljhall09
03-16-2011, 08:26 PM
well i put the curtis sparks back on and took the airbox lid off and put a clean uni on it , also put a new spark plug because the old one was black and changed oil and filter. Started the quad and it was blowing white smoke the whole time it was running. Took the new plug back out and it was white like it was running to lean now. So it went from running really rich to lean. Im guessing the piston and rings or wore out if its still smoking tht much while its running lean ?

CJM
03-16-2011, 08:38 PM
Need to compression test it, the one harbor freight sells with the multiple attachments works great btw.

Comp should be over 100 psi, if not your rings are junk.

liljhall09
03-16-2011, 08:48 PM
ok thts next on my list

liljhall09
04-13-2011, 03:18 PM
ok guys i pulled the jets out and it has a 150 main and a 42 pilot. The bike wants to smoke the whole time and make a popping sound. Also when i pulled the carb apart there was green buildup on the jets. I believe the bike is running to rich. The bike has a stock top end but has a curtis sparks x6 with a uni and no airbox lid.

please help me asap lol , what jets should i run and where should i put the needle