PDA

View Full Version : lights

99400ex
03-14-2011, 10:52 AM
last summer the stock light switch on the bars corroded and was all messed up. so i rewired it into a toggle switch which seemed to work fine for about a week. then a friend was riding it and the lights went out and all the new wiring i did into the switch was melted. so i guess my question is what would cause this and should there be a inline fuse somewhere? i havent noticed any fuses. Thanks for any help

trailrider894
03-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by 99400ex
last summer the stock light switch on the bars corroded and was all messed up. so i rewired it into a toggle switch which seemed to work fine for about a week. then a friend was riding it and the lights went out and all the new wiring i did into the switch was melted. so i guess my question is what would cause this and should there be a inline fuse somewhere? i havent noticed any fuses. Thanks for any help

Sounds like the wiring job was bad and, there was either a short somewhere or the wire used wasn't big enough.

CJM
03-14-2011, 01:54 PM
its probably a short more than anything, bad ground perhaps. The wiring for these things stock is tiny so I doubt its the gauge of wire you used.

Look for any loose, ungrounded, burnt wires, or connections that arent tight.

yellow02400ex
03-14-2011, 01:58 PM
my lights were grounding out at the head light check the wiring going to the bulb.