PDA

View Full Version : Auto-clutch

bottlefed1
03-14-2011, 08:26 AM
Well after some searching I havent found a reacent post about this.
Who makes an auto clutch for the 400ex?

CJM
03-14-2011, 08:42 AM
http://rekluse.com/ Its also over 500 dollars. They dont list the 400ex anymore, but I do recall they used to or do still make them.

bottlefed1
03-14-2011, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by CJM
http://rekluse.com/ Its also over 500 dollars. They dont list the 400ex anymore, but I do recall they used to or do still make them.

Yea i checked there site and searched on here and people where saying that they dont make them any more ill have to call and ask.

CJM
03-14-2011, 08:49 AM
Honestly for the price and what it is I find it dang worthless. Riding one of these quads is super easy, stalling happens in techy terrain-but crank up the idle slightly and it helps greatly.

I can release my clutch with no gas and coast along in 1st the way mines setup.

finsteratv
03-14-2011, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Honestly for the price and what it is I find it dang worthless. Riding one of these quads is super easy, stalling happens in techy terrain-but crank up the idle slightly and it helps greatly.

same with my bike CJM and it will just creep, but my moms is also stock and when i rode her it was a diffferent story but not by much.

bottlefed1
03-14-2011, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by CJM

I do alot of stunt riding and alot of riding on rocky terrain thats why im asking.

mineralgrey01gt
03-14-2011, 09:01 AM
People ride with clutches in those conditions and doing that all the time. LEARN how to do it

bottlefed1
03-14-2011, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by mineralgrey01gt
People ride with clutches in those conditions and doing that all the time. LEARN how to do it

I know how to do it. thats not the point, I'm trying to make it easier on myself.

sneaky11
03-14-2011, 10:09 AM
I wonder if any brand make slipper clutch for the EX??

AnotherNewb
03-14-2011, 10:26 AM

Or you could simply give the information requested and not throw in your opinion. It's his money and his bike. Let him decide what he needs.

bottlefed1
03-14-2011, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by AnotherNewb
Or you could simply give the information requested and not throw in your opinion. It's his money and his bike. Let him decide what he needs.

Well put.

AnotherNewb
03-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Some people just think that there way is the only way.

tri5ron
03-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by bottlefed1
I do alot of stunt riding and alot of riding on rocky terrain thats why im asking. Although I do not have any personal experience with the Rekluse clutch's, I have talked to some guys who have used them.

From what they have said, the Rekluse Clutches are VERY expensive, AND, they require alot of maintaince with constantly needing adjustment.

My friend who DID have some experience with them,
was not happy with it for this reason, and ended up removing it.
He, and 2 other guys from his group, said the same thing.

Again, I'm not experienced with them myself, ... I'm just repeating what I've been told about them.

You say that you do alot of stunt riding, and technical riding, (rocky terrain), so I'm assuming that most of the time, you are not necessarily riding at top speed in 5th gear.

If this is correct, then you might benefit from changing your primary sprocket, (front sprocket), to a smaller size.

Going just 1 tooth smaller, will make a HUGE difference in your ability to ride at slower speeds without stalling, and it will give you ALOT more bottom end torque. (good for BOTH stunts, AND rocky terrain).

It is cheap, (under $20), and easy to do, (swap it out in 15 minutes, and re-adjust your chain)... and you would not need any other parts to do it.
Providing your chain is not old and streched, you should have plenty of adjustment room, on your rear axle carrier.

Besides, you can always swap it right back, if you were going to be riding in a more open and higher speed terrain.
(kind of the best of both worlds).

You also might consider putting in a +6 degree ignition timing key.
This will also make it a little less likely to stall at the lower speeds, and will greatly improve your throttle responce.
(again,... good for both stunts, and rocky terrain).

A +6 key, and 1 tooth smaller sprocket, will turn your bike into a "Stump Pulling Beast", and won't cost you very much to do it.
It might be just the ticket you are looking for.

I do most of my riding, in technical rocky terrain, and I have the +6 key, WITHOUT going to the smaller sprocket.
I do quite a bit of slow riding, with my 9 year old Daughter, and 11 year old Special Needs son.
I end up spending most of that time in mid-range 2nd gear, and occaisionally bottom of 3rd gear.
I lug it very low rpm often with my boy, and it seems to usually be right between those two gears, where he wants to ride.

(2nd gear is too low, and I end up revving higher than I like,... and 3rd is too high, and my bike almost wants to stall).

If I put just 1 tooth smaller on the primary, it will be perfect for riding with him.

Yes, you will lose a LITTLE bit of your top end speed, (not alot really), but it will be ALOT easier to ride the rough/techy stuff.

Maybe Steve will chime in, and post up the gearing calculator, that will show you just what you will lose on the top end speed,...and then you can decide if that is still within your preffered riding speeds.

Hope this helps.

Oh,... one last thing,...
If you DO decide to try both the key, and the smaller primary,...
Be VERY Careful when you snap the throttle open,...

Your bike will stand straight up faster than you think.
It will be a low rpm, Torque Pounding, Wheelie MONSTER , and just might toss you right off the back! LOL!

Let us know what you decide to do.
it will be cheap, and fun to try it out.

CJM
03-14-2011, 12:59 PM
To echo Ron to a degree I ride alot of tight, technical trails and do alot of stepups and smaller jumps as well as alot of very off camber and straightup hill climbs.

What has worked well for me is my setup, its nothing insanely special. What helps more than anything is the tires allow me to grip the terrain quite well and the fact the idle is crankedup probably 250-500 more rpm than stock. This allows me like I said before to idle along and not die. Sometimes I must work the clutch, but I usually dont have to.

For reference, if your looking to build an all around good, fast quad:
-416, 11:1 or do 10:1 and +3 or _6 sparks key (what I wish i had done but hey its to late now)
-Stage 1 or 2 hotcam, you really want the stage 2 for the bigger bore and if your gonna be doing all around riding, tighter stuff the stage 1 willbenefit slightly more
-slip on or fullexhaust
-open air box
-Im also running stock 15/38 sprockets as well.

Those mods allow me to hit it when I want to and keep it low and slow when I need that as well. I usually ride high 2nd and low 3rd gear as you cant go to fast on the trails. I can lug 2nd and 3rd even better with no issues either.

Scro
03-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
From what they have said, the Rekluse Clutches are VERY expensive, AND, they require alot of maintaince with constantly needing adjustment.

The older style did need to be adjusted quite often. The newer style need no adjustment, and they are just as reliable as a conventional clutch. I'm not sure how much a rekluse would benefit for the stunt riding. But for XC racing, it's a huge advantage. Not only does it save you alot of energy from having to slip the clutch in tight stuff during a two hour race, but it automatically slips the clutch perfectly, everytime. That's something the no one can do with a conventional clutch, no matter how good you are.

They have there downfalls. When the motor is not running it will act as though it's in nuetral, no matter what gear you are in. So it wouldn't be very good for hillclimbing. It supposedly robs a little power, as well. The advantages outweigh disadvantages by far though.

I know a guy that used a Revloc auto clutch in his 400ex designed for an XR400 dirtbike. I believe he had to machine the cases a little, or something along those lines. It wasn't a direct bolt-on. Here is the website - Revloc (http://www.revloc.com/index.cfm/id/14/Revloc-Clutch/)

bottlefed1
03-14-2011, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Scro
The older style did need to be adjusted quite often. The newer style need no adjustment, and they are just as reliable as a conventional clutch. I'm not sure how much a rekluse would benefit for the stunt riding. But for XC racing, it's a huge advantage. Not only does it save you alot of energy from having to slip the clutch in tight stuff during a two hour race, but it automatically slips the clutch perfectly, everytime. That's something the no one can do with a conventional clutch, no matter how good you are.

They have there downfalls. When the motor is not running it will act as though it's in nuetral, no matter what gear you are in. So it wouldn't be very good for hillclimbing. It supposedly robs a little power, as well. The advantages outweigh disadvantages by far though.

I know a guy that used a Revloc auto clutch in his 400ex designed for an XR400 dirtbike. I believe he had to machine the cases a little, or something along those lines. It wasn't a direct bolt-on. Here is the website - Revloc (http://www.revloc.com/index.cfm/id/14/Revloc-Clutch/)

i read about that and looked at there site but i dont want to machine anything out . Im looking for a direct swapout

mineralgrey01gt
03-14-2011, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by AnotherNewb
same with you, i see no useful information posted? if you dont like it dont post, simple as that. I dont see a point in spending that much money when others do it the normal way all the time. Last I checked i didnt have to keep opinions to myself. have a nice day

AnotherNewb
03-14-2011, 02:47 PM
same with you, i see no useful information posted? if you dont like it dont post, simple as that. I dont see a point in spending that much money when others do it the normal way all the time. Last I checked i didnt have to keep opinions to myself. have a nice day

My post was simply letting him know to do whatever he felt he needed to do and not listen to discouraging words with no facts as to why they are bad. Many many people run the rekluse with no issues. But I think I will post even though you may be an ignorant person. Don't have to like it to post. There is always two ways to do something. Just because one is the "normal way" doesn't mean it's the best way for every situation.

trailrider894
03-14-2011, 05:05 PM
Cat Fight!!! Ron, did you bring the popcorn??? CJM, can you bring the beer????

:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

tri5ron
03-14-2011, 05:30 PM
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/Emoticons%20and%20funny%20pics/popcornsmilie.gif

CJM
03-14-2011, 06:12 PM
Geez, quit it guys...totally wasting the thread.

While I dont like the auto clutch, for some it may have its place.

So far it seems unless you can adapt a CRF400 one it wont work.

greencow
03-14-2011, 08:05 PM
I dont have much to say abount this as i never have or knew anyone who used a Rekluse Clutche but i can link you to the Sprocket Change Calculator (http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/400ex.htm) i used this when i changed my sprockets if you decide on going this route it is the most bang for your buck.

Colby@C&DRacing
03-15-2011, 07:26 AM
Scro is correct the older style did need lots of attention and the pro is much better! I agree when racing or riding xc the rekluse is hands down the way to go. Rekluse has never made one for a 400ex we tried to convince them but the clutch disengages different than most models.

bottlefed1
03-15-2011, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
Scro is correct the older style did need lots of attention and the pro is much better! I agree when racing or riding xc the rekluse is hands down the way to go. Rekluse has never made one for a 400ex we tried to convince them but the clutch disengages different than most models.

I called revloc and they said it would be like 600 if i sent them my core first and 1000 if it didnt. They also said that if there is enough demand for them they will start making them more readily available instead of doing custom ordered ones whenever someone calls.