PDA

View Full Version : 490?

killer400ex
03-13-2011, 03:20 PM
ok so ive been building bikes and quads for a few years now so i think i know my way around a machine, let alone a machine i own and learned alot from, some idiot kid keeps telling me that his 400ex has a 490 motor that he has been racing mx and xc for over a year with it and that it is more reliable than my 426, first of all i have built a few 400's in the past and the highest build i ever went with was a 460 and we wound up just making it a straight drag quad because we had multiple issues with it over heating and what not, also i know alot of people on here do not recommend going above a 440 for mx or xc because of reliability issues, idk there might be such a thing as a 490 for a 400ex but i cant see it being reliable what so ever. what would it even be? i know that the biggest bore size you can go with a 400 is 440 so that must have a massive stroke. im just double checking because im tired of this kid running his mouth about his machine WHICH just so happens to be one of the 400 ex's i have rebuilt before, so i know what he used to have in it because i rebuilt his entire quad for him

10sball
03-13-2011, 03:31 PM
google four stroke tech. they make a 500cc kit for it. reliable? prolly not, but i think the main reason most peoples big 400ex motors aren't "reliable" is because they don't compensate for it. like 440s with stock tanks, coolers, studs, and no fans lol.

killer400ex
03-13-2011, 03:39 PM
which brings me to my next point, almost everything on that quad is still stock lol, he has a stage 1 cam that i sold to him after i bought my stage 2, he has a non ported and polished head, stock cam chain, he might have the hd head studs, but he did nothing to help cool it or anything, it has a slip on exhaust and the stock oil tank and cooler, and like a moron the kid ran it on pump gas for a week or two before he bought more race gas, idk if he was more mechanically inclined or showed some kind of intelligence i might believe him, but he had me rebuild his quad because he couldnt figure out how to do it himself even with the climbers manual, everything about this kid and what hes telling me screams bull*****

trailrider894
03-13-2011, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by killer400ex
which brings me to my next point, almost everything on that quad is still stock lol, he has a stage 1 cam that i sold to him after i bought my stage 2, he has a non ported and polished head, stock cam chain, he might have the hd head studs, but he did nothing to help cool it or anything, it has a slip on exhaust and the stock oil tank and cooler, and like a moron the kid ran it on pump gas for a week or two before he bought more race gas, idk if he was more mechanically inclined or showed some kind of intelligence i might believe him, but he had me rebuild his quad because he couldnt figure out how to do it himself even with the climbers manual, everything about this kid and what hes telling me screams bull*****

HE IS A LIAR!!!!!!!!!!

HondaRacing83
03-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
HE IS A LIAR!!!!!!!!!!
hahahahaha

killer400ex
03-13-2011, 03:58 PM
HE IS A LIAR!!!!!!!!!!

thank you very much, thats exactly what im thinking, i mean i guess its possible to have a 490 set up but he dosnt have half the brains or the money to be able to put a "reliable" build together like he is bragging about, not to mention that this kid is like 280 lbs and considers himself a "great" racer even though his 400 looks like it can barely hold itself up, i honestly feel bad for that quad, there should be some sort of organization out there that helps rescue abused machines from awful owners like him

Ruby Soho
03-13-2011, 04:32 PM
the real question is why does this bother you?

who cares what the kid says he has. you'd probly **** on him anyways

killer400ex
03-13-2011, 05:07 PM
its not so much that i care or it bothers me, im just making sure im not the one who is wrong, i was almost 100% positive that i was wright, like i said i was double checking, no point in calling him out on being full of it if im the one whos wrong and having it blow up in my face, that and i was wondering if there really was a 490 kit because ive never herd of one

PaRedneckRiders
03-13-2011, 05:11 PM
He probably has it bored 90 over and called it a 490 thats like people boring there motor 40over and calling it a 440 BS
or my favorite one kid i know say hes gonna get a 520 kit installed on his EX, so i asked him what you mean bore it 120 over.
HAHAHAHA 120 over is only a 426 but i let him go didn't say anything cause i knew he would have still thought he was right, so let him go then go whoop em on the track

trailrider894
03-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by PaRedneckRiders
He probably has it bored 90 over and called it a 490 thats like people boring there motor 40over and calling it a 440 BS
or my favorite one kid i know say hes gonna get a 520 kit installed on his EX, so i asked him what you mean bore it 120 over.
HAHAHAHA 120 over is only a 426 but i let him go didn't say anything cause i knew he would have still thought he was right, so let him go then go whoop em on the track

x2

JRN2786
03-13-2011, 05:18 PM
x3,
So many people believe .40 over is a 440 so i bet he has .90 oversize and believes its a 490. I think you should race him and then see what he has to say

DragonGunner
03-13-2011, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by 10sball
google four stroke tech. they make a 500cc kit for it. reliable? prolly not, but i think the main reason most peoples big 400ex motors aren't "reliable" is because they don't compensate for it. like 440s with stock tanks, coolers, studs, and no fans lol.

Chad Duvall ran the FST 500EX for a few yrs...it starts out as a 490cc an can be bored up to 510cc....He won several GNCC races on it, used the stock carb an oversized tank an wouldn't have to pit...thats 2 hr races...very reliable...it would go the entire season, each season without a hick up...got all those yrs. he raced it on tape......what the kid has is hard telling.

killer400ex
03-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by DragonGunner
Chad Duvall ran the FST 500EX for a few yrs...it starts out as a 490cc an can be bored up to 510cc....He won several GNCC races on it, used the stock carb an oversized tank an wouldn't have to pit...thats 2 hr races...very reliable...it would go the entire season, each season without a hick up...got all those yrs. he raced it on tape......what the kid has is hard telling.

yeah thats true but once again i highly doubt this kid has the money or skill to do any of this and still have it reliable, chad had an entire team behind him to keep it well maintained and to keep it tuned and running well. and i do plan on taking this kid to the track and seeing whats up with this mystery quad of his, if i loose then i think it may be time to sell my four hundy and give up racing for good lol

jcs003
03-14-2011, 02:13 AM

FST also made a liquid cooled version.

Stark
03-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by killer400ex
thank you very much, thats exactly what im thinking, i mean i guess its possible to have a 490 set up but he dosnt have half the brains or the money to be able to put a "reliable" build together like he is bragging about, not to mention that this kid is like 280 lbs and considers himself a "great" racer even though his 400 looks like it can barely hold itself up, i honestly feel bad for that quad, there should be some sort of organization out there that helps rescue abused machines from awful owners like him

I'm 280 lbs... :ermm:

trailrider894
03-14-2011, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Stark
I'm 280 lbs... :ermm:

lol you know he wasn't targeting those people.... lol

Truth is, the lighter you are the faster you are. I know that i weigh 150lb's with gear, and i can jump higher, ride faster, do whoops, and turn better than my friend who rides a yfz who is 250lbs. All because he has 100lbs on me.

killer400ex
03-14-2011, 01:13 PM
lol you know he wasn't targeting those people.... lol

Truth is, the lighter you are the faster you are. I know that i weigh 150lb's with gear, and i can jump higher, ride faster, do whoops, and turn better than my friend who rides a yfz who is 250lbs. All because he has 100lbs on me.

thank you again lol, yeah sorry didnt mean to make it seem that way at all, and thats exactly my point, most of the kids in the area are tiny as hell and that gives them an advantage over anyone who is 200+ lbs, that and the fact that this kid ruined his elka piggybacks because he never had them re-charged with nitro. and he ran them into the ground, hes got nothing on me or any other kid racing his class so sucks to be him lol

Stark
03-14-2011, 01:16 PM
Just givin you a hard time :)

I do have to say that my 280 lb arse helps dampen the front shocks a bit! hahaha!

jstalnaker
03-14-2011, 08:37 PM
i dont rember chad ever running a 500 for micky....chad used to runfor micky for two years before they parted ways but as far as i rember he ran a 440

DragonGunner
03-17-2011, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by jstalnaker
i dont rember chad ever running a 500 for micky....chad used to runfor micky for two years before they parted ways but as far as i rember he ran a 440

I remember when he left, but pretty darn sure he ran the 500EX for 2 yrs with them, some of the other guys ran 460EX's an still did pretty good against the YFZ's when they popped up...good time to dig up the magazines an tapes.

jcs003
03-17-2011, 02:32 PM
I remember when he left, but pretty darn sure he ran the 500EX for 2 yrs with them, some of the other guys ran 460EX's an still did pretty good against the YFZ's when they popped up...good time to dig up the magazines an tapes.

yep. in 2002 he was on an FST 500ex. he raced in the pro-production class.

400exmxrider15
03-17-2011, 03:07 PM
When you guys are talking about the boring over and stuff it reminded me when I had my Blaster. Some people would say that their 280 blaster would smoke my stock 200.....truth is they had a stock blaster bored .080 over...ahahaha