PDA

View Full Version : Question about truck tires.

Brauap
03-13-2011, 01:19 PM
Hey guys! I'm looking to get some tires for my Silverado and I am kind of confused.

I am looking at several different types of tires and this is what I have found:

GoodYear Wrangler Duratrac
285/75-16 .......$936
33/1250-15.......$742

BFG KM2
285/75-16.......$881
33/1250-15......$744

Why are the tires SAE tires so much cheaper than the metric sized tired if they are the same size? What am I missing?

The wheel size does not matter because I am getting new wheels as well.

Thank You!
Colton W.

candidate zero
03-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Usually the bigger the wheel the more expensive the tire is. That's the only reason I can see them being more.

sexysilverado45
03-13-2011, 01:40 PM
What year silverado. Anything 99.5 and newer, a 15 inch wheel won't fit.

brian76708
03-13-2011, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
Hey guys! I'm looking to get some tires for my Silverado and I am kind of confused.

285/75-16 .......$936
33/1250-15.......$742

BFG KM2
285/75-16.......$881
33/1250-15......$744

Why are the tires SAE tires so much cheaper than the metric sized tired if they are the same size? What am I missing?

Thank You!
Colton W.

its because of the rim size. and the pricing for the Duratracs seems high and the km2 pricing seems low where u getting ur pricing

Brauap
03-13-2011, 01:58 PM
So would a 15 inch wheel fit on my 1998 K2500?

And I found the prices on eBay.. :P

You would think it would be smaller the wheel more expensive it is because larger the wheel, less rubber- right? haha

Rich250RRacer
03-13-2011, 02:46 PM

285/75-16 .......$936
33/1250-15.......$742

BFG KM2
285/75-16.......$881
33/1250-15......$744

Thank You!
Colton W.

I just bought the same size Duratracs for my 2500HD this past summer. That's a pretty good price on them. I paid $900, but that's because I know the guy who owns the tire shop pretty well. Who was your price through? So far they've been a good tire.

Brauap
03-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Here is where I had gotten my prices:

GoodYear Wranger DuraTrac 33/1250 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-NEW-Goodyear-Wrangler-Dura-Trac-33x12-50-15-TIRES-R15-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19c3d0489dQQitemZ11065 9389597QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries)

GoodYear Wrangler DuraTrac 285/75 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-NEW-Goodyear-Wrangler-Dura-Trac-285-75-16-TIRES-R16-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZSectionQ2520WidthQ3a285Q7c AspectQ2520RatioQ3a75Q7cRimQ2520DiameterQ3a16QQhas hZitem45f947baccQQitemZ300534971084QQptZMotorsQ5fC arQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories)

BFG KM2 33/1250 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-BF-Goodrich-Mud-Terrain-KM2-Tires-33x12-50R15-33-15-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem230e812e95QQitemZ15056 7202453QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries)

BFG KM2 285/75 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-285-75-16-BFG-Mud-Terrain-T-A-KM2-Tires-75R16-R16-75R-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZSectionQ2520WidthQ3a285Q7c AspectQ2520RatioQ3a75Q7cRimQ2520DiameterQ3a16QQhas hZitem2c5ad4c218QQitemZ190502453784QQptZMotorsQ5fC arQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories)

Someone had mentioned (not on this forum) that it may have to do with load ranges. What do you guys think? It is a 1998 K2500, do the load weight/ranges make that much of a difference if the max I will haul is 3 dirt bikes in the bed and maybe pulling a trailer?

Brauap
03-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Any help guys please?

CJM
03-13-2011, 05:55 PM
LT Metric and standard LT, they arent the same exact sizes either.

285/75/16 is usually about 32.6x11.6x16, where 33x12.5x15 measures pretty close to exact.

I also wouldnt even bother running either of those, since mud tires wont last very long anyways. Might get 35k out of them and then your out 900 bucks again.

have you looked into mastercraft tires, used to run them on a few vehicles and never had any issues and they are usually much cheaper than name brand.

Brauap
03-13-2011, 06:14 PM
I have looked into Mastercraft but I am not really impressed by any of their tread patterns..

and the reason I am looking into mud tires is because I need them. I don't go 'mudding' per say, but I find myself in cases where I am just about doing that. Where I ride it often turns into a mud hole so you need good tires to get in and out.. and sometimes I'd like to be able to take the truck back on the larger of the trails. Plus they look saweeet! :devil:

brian76708
03-13-2011, 06:50 PM
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Wrangler+DuraTrac

IDK how much snow you get but the duratracs are supposed to be a lot better in the snow then the km2s both good tires just something to consider. i think they are going to be my next tire and there pretty cheap.

CJM
03-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Try out some firestone destination MT. I swore by them when I used to offroad alot. They will go ANYWHERE.

BTW the duratracs and other such tires you gotta watch out for the ply rating and how much load capacity they have. Im not sure how much your truck weighs, but a E rated tire will ride very stiff unless its loaded down.

brian76708
03-13-2011, 06:53 PM
goodyear kevlar mtr are supposed to be awesome tires too. the tread pattern is different but has been proven effective i believe these are also good in snow. more expensive though

Brauap
03-13-2011, 07:47 PM
CJM, my truck weighs about 5500lbs..

and I'll look into those Firestone tires in a little bit.. thanks!

CJM
03-13-2011, 07:58 PM
CJM, my truck weighs about 5500lbs..

and I'll look into those Firestone tires in a little bit.. thanks!

That aint enough. Im talking driving around with a load in the bed all the time in excess of 500lbs. EX: I drove a battery van for a towing company. I carried 35 batteries at approx 25lbs ea Figure it was about 1000lbs, I also had an air compressor, tools, me, etc. Probably about 1800lbs. With E range tires loaded to 65-70lbs it drove great b/c it had enough weight.

Id try and find some tires that are rated D, will ride softer. E range tires are made for heavy, commercial vehicles that carry weight, like that work van I mentioned or a contractors truck full of tools and materials.

Brauap
03-13-2011, 08:21 PM
Where would I find the rating at for the DuraTrac tires? I am looking at those the most due to the price, siping on the lugs, and it looks like a nice mean tire!

CJM
03-13-2011, 08:45 PM
www.tirerack.com is what I always use.

I go by the surveys people write in about and usually by the ones who ride on them for 20K or more so I know the idiots arent just reviewing a tire they drove 500 miles on.

Quinn4
03-13-2011, 08:54 PM
imho you cant go wrong with bfg all terrian ta's those tires last forever and go thru everything. got mine 275/75/17 for 900 installed. i love em.

CJM
03-13-2011, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Quinn4
imho you cant go wrong with bfg all terrian ta's those tires last forever and go thru everything. got mine 275/75/17 for 900 installed. i love em.

Try thick mud or snow, they CLOG. been there, done that have the t-shirt. They were the best 20 years ago tho.

Like I said, firestone MT-trust me you wont be disappointed.

Rich250RRacer
03-13-2011, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by CJM
That aint enough. Im talking driving around with a load in the bed all the time in excess of 500lbs. EX: I drove a battery van for a towing company. I carried 35 batteries at approx 25lbs ea Figure it was about 1000lbs, I also had an air compressor, tools, me, etc. Probably about 1800lbs. With E range tires loaded to 65-70lbs it drove great b/c it had enough weight.

Id try and find some tires that are rated D, will ride softer. E range tires are made for heavy, commercial vehicles that carry weight, like that work van I mentioned or a contractors truck full of tools and materials.

Since you seem to know everything, tell me why the piece of sh-t Firestone Destinations I have on my half-ton 2wd only lasted 15,000 miles. And don't tell me it's because they weren't rotated, because they were done at 6000 miles, then by the time 12,000 rolled around they were 3/4 of the way worn. I don't think I'll ever buy Firestones again.

CJM
03-13-2011, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
Since you seem to know everything, tell me why the piece of sh-t Firestone Destinations I have on my half-ton 2wd only lasted 15,000 miles. And don't tell me it's because they weren't rotated, because they were done at 6000 miles, then by the time 12,000 rolled around they were 3/4 of the way worn. I don't think I'll ever buy Firestones again.

Well you dont specifiy if they were the destination MT (max traction aka mudders) or the AT (all terrains). Why would you put mud tires on a 2wd truck is beyond me, but I digress you sound like your trying to start something and come across as super rude.

Many different reasons why they may have failed: Coulda had the wrong type of tire for the truck (p metric when you should use LT), improper inflation, wrong load rated tires, poor alignment, bad frontend components, aggressive driving,etc, etc. Coulda been a bad batch of tires, if they only lasted 15k why didnt you try and bring them back?

What kinda truck is it btw?

Being a mechanic I see your kinda situation alot. Its either the driver or the vehicle, rarely is the tire the culprit. Most of the time its the vehicle tho, some vehicles-specifically the old fords will wear out the front tires like crazy unless oyu have the truck aligned by someone who has an idea on how to work on them as an idiot at your local chains how has NO idea how to do it right usually. You also dont state is they cupped, got feathering, wore one edge over another, wore the center tread, etc-that speaks volumes and is all your vehicle or you if thats what happened. They didnt just solidly wear right down to nubs in 15k for no reasons.

But I digress, gimme more info and I bet I can tell you why they failed like that?

That answer your question?

Im sorry but I just realized we ruined this persons thread-too late now I guess.

ProspectorJim
03-13-2011, 10:30 PM
www.tirerack.com

Rich250RRacer
03-14-2011, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Well you dont specifiy if they were the destination MT (max traction aka mudders) or the AT (all terrains). Why would you put mud tires on a 2wd truck is beyond me, but I digress you sound like your trying to start something and come across as super rude.

Many different reasons why they may have failed: Coulda had the wrong type of tire for the truck (p metric when you should use LT), improper inflation, wrong load rated tires, poor alignment, bad frontend components, aggressive driving,etc, etc. Coulda been a bad batch of tires, if they only lasted 15k why didnt you try and bring them back?

What kinda truck is it btw?

Being a mechanic I see your kinda situation alot. Its either the driver or the vehicle, rarely is the tire the culprit. Most of the time its the vehicle tho, some vehicles-specifically the old fords will wear out the front tires like crazy unless oyu have the truck aligned by someone who has an idea on how to work on them as an idiot at your local chains how has NO idea how to do it right usually. You also dont state is they cupped, got feathering, wore one edge over another, wore the center tread, etc-that speaks volumes and is all your vehicle or you if thats what happened. They didnt just solidly wear right down to nubs in 15k for no reasons.

But I digress, gimme more info and I bet I can tell you why they failed like that?

That answer your question?

Im sorry but I just realized we ruined this persons thread-too late now I guess.

Destination AT's on a '99 Silverado. AT's are M/S tires, which are fine on a 2wd truck. They are not cupped, feathered, worn on the edges, or worn in the center. They are not showing sign of over or under inflations, and the truck was aligned by the most reputable alignment shop in the area. All four tires are wearing evenly across the tread. Just plain junk if you ask me.

bbender85
03-14-2011, 07:42 AM
So would a 15 inch wheel fit on my 1998 K2500?

pretty sure you'll need a 16" or bigger, could be wrong tho.

i had over 60,000 miles on my mickey thompson MTZ's before i blew one apart on the freeway, so i just bought 4 new ones... but none were to the wear bars yet. close, but still had life left. here's a pic of two i sold on craigslist:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s248/bbender85/other/DSCN1454.jpg

as you can see i have some worn front end parts, and they still held up great. this was under my 6600lb super duty too. needless to say i did not hesitate to put another set on it.

CJM
03-14-2011, 08:01 AM
Destination AT's on a '99 Silverado. AT's are M/S tires, which are fine on a 2wd truck. They are not cupped, feathered, worn on the edges, or worn in the center. They are not showing sign of over or under inflations, and the truck was aligned by the most reputable alignment shop in the area. All four tires are wearing evenly across the tread. Just plain junk if you ask me.

If thats the case then IDK, gotta be a reason why. I woulda taken them back. Very odd for all 4 to wear out all evenly like that.

Last set of destination ATs I had lasted well over 50k.

He has the old K2500 series that they began to phase iirc in 1998, so a 15in wheel might fit no issues. Depends on rotor size, if rotors are 15's (or it already has 15in wheels) its fine.

FWIW about tires: I bought a toyota about 7 years ago and it had these cheap hankook on it, had probably close to 80% tread on them when I got it. I am still using those tires with about 35k on them and they are still wearing ok. I offroaded in them, went to hunting camps, go offroad to get to my riding spot, etc. No issues ever and they are super cheap junk tires.

Hell I used to drive for work an estimated 50k or more a year. We always used firestone transforce AT tires and got between 35 and 50k plus depending on the vehicle and driver. My old F250 I ran destination at's and got good life. IDK I guess some people have all the luck.

TCracin440ex
03-14-2011, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Quinn4

bfg Mall terrain tires are the biggest waste i have ever had on any of my vehicles. they are over priced over rated junk. ive gotten stuck on wet grass with the mall terrains

if you want a good long lasting tire go with the nitto tera grappler. they are fair priced, they are great tire with good road manners. i just recently put a set on my 2000 silverado and ive been more then impressed with this tire then any ive owned. and ive had just about any kind of tire you can name. if i was you id go with the nittos. they are a good tire, they last long and they do good in just about all conditions.

Rich250RRacer
03-14-2011, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by CJM
If thats the case then IDK, gotta be a reason why. I woulda taken them back. Very odd for all 4 to wear out all evenly like that.

Last set of destination ATs I had lasted well over 50k.

I'd love to get them covered under warranty, but there's an issue with that. I work at an auto parts store and the tire shop I bought them from is a good customer of ours. That being the case, certain applicable fees were not charge to me and I didn't get a receipt. When I asked the shop owner to look into getting them covered, he suggested going to the Firestone service center in town and telling them the tires were new on the truck when I bought it, and seeing what they would do. Like that will actually work. So I guess I'm out $450 on these things, and like I said it's probably the last set of Firestones for me, I only give a company one chance to screw me. This truck will get Michelins next, since I've had good luck with them in the past and EVERYBODY else who has them says the same also. I am not a cheap person by any means, I will pay the price for a superior product, but the first time a product doesn't live up to my expectations, the entire world will hear about it.

axellmusic19
03-14-2011, 05:16 PM
I was in the market for my 1992 chevy 1500 and wound up very satisfied with Kelly Safari snow/mud tires. I was able to get them for under $200 a tire (about $175) and they are 285/75R/16... I absolutely love how they are 10 ply load range E and have 80 psi capability for cruising. They are predrilled if you want to add studs and are exception in wet conditions. They offer 19/32's in depth as well. Great tire and very over looked in the market.

Brauap
03-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Where do you work, 250R? I live in Canfield..

The tires I am now looking at:

Toyo Open Country MT's
GoodYear Wrangler DuraTrac
Kelly Safari TSR

Rich250RRacer
03-14-2011, 06:53 PM
Where do you work, 250R? I live in Canfield..

The tires I am now looking at:

Toyo Open Country MT's
GoodYear Wrangler DuraTrac
Kelly Safari TSR

Franks Auto Parts.

250x_kyle
03-14-2011, 08:47 PM
im just curious if anyone here recomending firestone tires knows their tire history. the 2000 and 2001 recall was half as bad as the one they had back in the 70s.

CJM
03-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
im just curious if anyone here recomending firestone tires knows their tire history. the 2000 and 2001 recall was half as bad as the one they had back in the 70s.

You do realize it was mostly fords fault for all that bs? The tires blew due to improper inflation and the fact they didnt use LT tires on a stinking truck. P rated 35psi max tires, a decently heavy truck, lowering the pressures 10psi to make it ride smoother b/c people complained-thats what caused it.

I'd love to get them covered under warranty, but there's an issue with that. I work at an auto parts store and the tire shop I bought them from is a good customer of ours. That being the case, certain applicable fees were not charge to me and I didn't get a receipt. When I asked the shop owner to look into getting them covered, he suggested going to the Firestone service center in town and telling them the tires were new on the truck when I bought it, and seeing what they would do. Like that will actually work. So I guess I'm out $450 on these things, and like I said it's probably the last set of Firestones for me, I only give a company one chance to screw me. This truck will get Michelins next, since I've had good luck with them in the past and EVERYBODY else who has them says the same also. I am not a cheap person by any means, I will pay the price for a superior product, but the first time a product doesn't live up to my expectations, the entire world will hear about it.

Real shame about that, way it goes tho. Ive had no problems with any tires I ever bought besides some BFG performance oriented tires I bought to handle all weather conditions in a camry. Moron who installed them (and I never looked) didnt put them on right-they were directional!

FWIW Ive ran: firestone, bridgestone, hankook, BFG, nitto, toyo, continental, and general tires in the past. Never had any real issues from any of them. I also drive quite easily (not as bad as a grandma tho) due to driving very large vehicles for years. You kinda get used to driving the same way in a smaller vehicle as you do a 26ft flatbed tow truck lol.

250x_kyle
03-14-2011, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by CJM
You do realize it was mostly fords fault for all that bs? The tires blew due to improper inflation and the fact they didnt use LT tires on a stinking truck. P rated 35psi max tires, a decently heavy truck, lowering the pressures 10psi to make it ride smoother b/c people complained-thats what caused it.

like i said yes i do realize that one was fords faul. but like i said read up about the one back in the 70s and if you dont think twice about buying them so be it.

CJM
03-14-2011, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
like i said yes i do realize that one was fords faul. but like i said read up about the one back in the 70s and if you dont think twice about buying them so be it.

The 70's was a LONG time ago, Im not gonna let something that happened 30-40+ years ago influence me now. Look at harley davidson, some time ago they were junk-now they are pretty reliable.

fastredrider44
03-15-2011, 10:25 AM
Hey Braup, I'm decently sure 15s won't clear the brakes on your truck. I'd be checking before buying most certain.