PDA

View Full Version : bikes sitting for a while

kwatts400
03-13-2011, 12:16 AM
ok.... Both of my bikes have been in the garage for a while... Any advice to get them running... Would like advice on cleaning the feul system. seems to be the problem...

rooster300ex
03-29-2011, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by kwatts400
ok.... Both of my bikes have been in the garage for a while... Any advice to get them running... Would like advice on cleaning the feul system. seems to be the problem...

Exactly how long have they been sittin?

dxcody
03-29-2011, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by kwatts400
1. Spark plug + Spark plug wire
(check and mak sure they are firing)
2. Carb I wouldnt mess with the jets if it was running fine when it was parked bbut clean the inside as good as possible and if you have to pull out the jets remember all the settings on them, write it down on a piece of paper which jet is turned out how many screws from tight and which one is which.
3. Change all the fluids. Wash the tank out really well with a gallon or so of gas and change the oil. (it is easier just to get a new gas line rather then cleaning the old one in my opinion they are cheap)
4. Charge the battery (if its a kick start then no worries)
5. start it (if it will) AND let it idle for about 15-20 mins. Shut it off until it cools (check the oil again) and let it idle again for another 15-20 mins (just to let it get used to running again)
6. Rip the hell out of it
Just my 2 cents but that is at least what i think is a good starting point.

backwoods 400ex
04-01-2011, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by dxcody
2. Carb I wouldnt mess with the jets if it was running fine when it was parked bbut clean the inside as good as possible and if you have to pull out the jets remember all the settings on them, write it down on a piece of paper which jet is turned out how many screws from tight and which one is which.
3. Change all the fluids. Wash the tank out really well with a gallon or so of gas and change the oil. (it is easier just to get a new gas line rather then cleaning the old one in my opinion they are cheap)
5. start it (if it will) AND let it idle for about 15-20 mins. Shut it off until it cools (check the oil again) and let it idle again for another 15-20 mins (just to let it get used to running again)
Just my 2 cents but that is at least what i think is a good starting point.

X2

fearlessfred
04-02-2011, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by dxcody
Just my 2 cents but that is at least what i think is a good starting point. all this is great advice. but if that doesnt get you running then you might start at the fuel petcock and open with hose off of carb and make sure fuel runs freely,if it does then put hose back on carb an remove drain nut from bottom of bowl and see if it flows freely.if it does not flow free then your floats are gummed up at the needle valve and seat.if it runs free and still does not run for lack of fuel then you have plugged jets.the slow jet is the only one i have ever had plug on me.good luck and post again to let us know how it turns out. oh yea i forgot , some times tapping on the fuel bowl with the plastic end of the srewdriver can unstick the floats and the fresh fuel cleans it up

trailrider894
04-04-2011, 09:36 PM
Basically, i would just drain the old fuel and run a little carb cleaner through the carb. Get a new plug and make sure your filters clean... lol Thats all i ever do. If its been sitting for YEARS change all the fluid... I would never spend all that money for a bike thats only been sitting a year. Oil and coolant doesn't break down that fast.

wilkin250r
04-04-2011, 10:34 PM
Indeed. I don't know about you, but I certainly don't change the coolant in my car every year.

You DO want to make sure your air filter hasn't dried out. I usually clean and re-oil my filter for several reasons. One, to make sure it hasn't dried out, and (perhaps more important) make sure something hasn't made it's home in my inbox. I've had WAY to many mouse nests in my inboxes to feel comfortable not checking it.

Most often, a full carb cleaning isn't necessary. I can usually get away with just pulling the bottom screw off the bowl, and spraying carb cleaner up through the main jet.

And I've had good luck using StaBil in my fuel tank when I'm parking my machine for extended periods of time. I've sat for 18 months and fired right up with no other procedures than checking the air filter.

kwatts400
04-05-2011, 11:50 PM
It sat for a few months and when i finally got it started after putting a new plug in it, it stumbled at 1/4 to half throttle. took it to the dealer and they said everything was fine, tolerance wise, and it just needed to be "blown out." Took their advice and headed to NC from DE for a weekend trip and after being on it for an hr or 2, still the same. We dumped the gas, sprayed some cleaner in the carb, and put a larger main in it because I fealt it was running a little lean in the first place. The next morning we put some race gas in it and headed out, the result was pretty much the same. Lucky we had a spare bike. Its been sitting for about a yr since the trip due to work, just want to get it running. I will prob mess with it sun afternoon with the old jet, new gas and some more carb cleaner to see if I can get it going.