PDA

View Full Version : Success!!!!

NMills
03-12-2011, 07:16 PM
My 04 now has reverse... what a pain... but it works... It's not 100%... but it works... drove it around with half the plastic and stuff zip tied or even missing... I just wanted to share my victory story...

MidnightBlade
03-12-2011, 08:01 PM
My 1999 has reverse too, I think I cheated though.... I just bought the 99-04 plastics, bolted them on my 05, and cut a hole in the right fender for the reverse switch :blah:

CJM
03-12-2011, 08:04 PM
Must be nice, I got used to not having it.

PaRedneckRiders
03-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Must be nice, I got used to not having it.
Me to, even when i had my raptor with reverse i was still used to throwing it broadside in the trail then trying to spin it the rest of the way around instead of stopping and backing up.

honda400ex2003
03-12-2011, 08:50 PM
reverse... who needs reverse. lol my dad needs reverse. lol

although i like reverse on the sleds :D :p

lets see some pics of the bottom end and placement of the switches and such on it. did you take your top end or do a whole motor?

lets get some details also. maybe what made it good and bad, why it is not 100%? just because it is not done or another reason.

congrats! there arent too many guys that have done it just for the fact that it is a pain to get everything all rounded up to get it done.

steve

NMills
03-12-2011, 09:06 PM
You are right... Reverse is not needed.. but very nice to have... It's nice when you can't make a turn.. just back up... try again... to me.. it's just nice.. i'm sure i'll still pull push and spin by hand.. but having the option is nice.. I don't have any pics right now... I'm planning on maybe getting them on Tuesday or Saturday of next week.. depending on what the wife says.... The reason it's not 100% is because i did not put the machine back together completely... the engine work is in... but just have somethings to do before it's complete..... i just used a bottom end... used my current top end... i still have a list of stuff to do... as Reverse switch location... valve adjustment.. misc other work... But the reason i did this... is i did want reverse... and i missed by one model year... i can't get back what i put into it... and i don't want to take the loss... i also like the 99-04 body style... so i figured... just get a bottom end from a 05+ and i'd be fine... take a bit of work... but if you want something.. ya gotta work for it.. right??? I did... probably have about 30-40 hours in... but then again... first time tearing down a wheeler... to almost nothing... sawing my swingarm bolt... and just trying to do it right... double and triple checking everyhing... making mistakes... and having to start over... But it's life... live and learn...

honda400ex2003
03-12-2011, 09:15 PM
congrats man! if i wanted reverse i would be right along side of you. i wont buy a newer style one thats for sure. lol im not a fan of the new fenders.

sounds like a fun time thats for sure no matter how big of a pain it was. it is relaxing really lol. steve

NMills
03-12-2011, 09:23 PM
The relaxing part was when i saw it start... being my first time taking a 4 stroke apart and put back together... and then it goin backwards.... giant sigh of relief....

honda400ex2003
03-12-2011, 10:02 PM
feels good thats for sure! i did my first top end on my 400 also. one of the most satisfying things i did to it. hopefully ill never have to do a bottom end, not for the fact that i dont want to, just for the fact that i dont want anything to happen to it.

:D steve

NMills
03-12-2011, 10:05 PM
i don't want to do anything internally to my bottom end either... i hope it stays good... top end was not too bad... much easier then i thought...