PDA

View Full Version : Big Stinger Quiet Silencer (for Sparks pipe)

mx91a
03-12-2011, 06:39 PM
So the FMF powercore II silencer won't work on my Sparks MX pipe as the stinger and flared entrance of the silencer are the same diameter. Are there any other silencers out there besides the Sparks silencer that will fit? I'm looking for one that's relatively quiet, with a turned down tip.

Thanks

k7mm
03-13-2011, 11:24 AM
L.E.D. sells one.It has a built in spark arrestor option,the tip faces downward,and it is built to be not that loud.It is for big bore pipes.It's about $200.00.FTZ has one for a $100.00,but it is just a strait shot silencer.Both are exceptionally built.
Keith

mx91a
03-13-2011, 06:04 PM
So is Sparks the only one that used 1.25" OD stingers on their standard displacement pipes? Can someone tell me what size stinger ESR uses on their pipes?

I like the FTZ silencer but I bet that thing has some bark to it!

mx91a
03-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Well I bought a Sparks silencer to go with the pipe, but no luck on the fit, the ID of the silencer inlet is only 1.125" in diameter. I am thinking the pipe I have has been custom made from Sparks with the larger stinger or modified by someone, possibly for a big bore? It looks like to run a silencer on this pipe correctly I will have to find a big bore silencer or build my own with a larger diameter pipe and core.

Are there any disadvantages to running this pipe with the larger stinger on a non-big bore (275-285cc) OEM cylinder?

Thanks

troybilt
03-21-2011, 03:51 PM
Without seeing it, I'm pretty sure you have a Sparks Big Bore MX pipe. Without getting into the dynamics of pipe design, which I can barely even grasp at this point, from what I've read you really wouldn't get the best operation with a standard-ish size bore cylinder.... It will work and possibly be an improvement, but they were made for the 330+ cylinders... I would sell it and get the smaller Curtis Sparks MX pipe, the big bore's are quite rare. Don't modify that one...

mx91a
03-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Troy is this the pipe you are thinking about? This is what comes to my mind when someone talks about the big bore Sparks pipe, definitely not what I have.

mx91a
03-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Here is the pipe I have, looks like a regular old Sparks MX pipe right? Except it has a 1.25" OD stinger on there! There is no mention of "big bore" on the tag. Unless Sparks took their regular pipes and put the larger stinger on and sold that as the big bore MX pipe? I would think the expansion chamber section of the pipe would have to be made larger as well to work properly, not just enlarge the stinger diameter as is with this pipe.

troybilt
03-21-2011, 07:29 PM
I'll go measure my CP MX pipe outlet and inlet and let you know... Yes, that was the pipe I was refering too, however, I've seen CP big bores, that are stamped not handconed, if I remember right.

troybilt
03-21-2011, 07:32 PM
I just measured with a calipers and my outlet OD is 1.123" and the inlet ID of the silencer is 1.128"

So 1-1/8"... which is standard for standard bore cylinders...

troybilt
03-21-2011, 07:36 PM
Also, the big bore pipes have 1.25" OD outlet, typically... I think that makes a difference on the bigger cylinders, even if the expansion chamber is relatively the same. I'd have to read up again to understand why, I'd only be speculating right now.

Anyway, on the pipe, I was pretty sure CP stamped Big bore on them via tag, (i could be confusing LRD with CP though, too many pipes!!!) but I've not seen a CP big bore it quite awhile... other than the latest handconed versions.

deathman53
03-24-2011, 04:59 AM
I have a spark big bore pipe, the stinger end is 1.14 ID and 1.25 OD, this the pipe, not the silencer. A regular pipe is .97 ID and 1.14 OD. I got the handconed version of their pipe, I think its the TT pipe. I found one, the guy had several more but wouldn't part w/them.

http://www.pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/deathman53/IMG_0371.JPG.html
http://www.pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/deathman53/IMG_0372.JPG.html
http://www.pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/deathman53/IMG_0373.JPG.html